Goljan on Leukemias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychoDan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goljan stresses the Boards giving the leukemia questions away based on the age given in the question stems.

ALL = 0-14
AML = 15-39; 40-59
CLL = 60+
CML = 40-59

Has this been you guys' experience on the most recent test?

Members don't see this ad.

PsychoDan said:
Goljan stresses the Boards giving the leukemia questions away based on the age given in the question stems.

ALL = 0-14
AML = 15-39; 40-59
CLL = 60+
CML = 40-59

Absolutely. His description of these diseases made this aspect of heme/onc sooo much easier

PsychoDan said:

ALL = 0-14
AML = 15-39; 40-59
CLL = 60+
CML = 40-59

Yes, you can get a good idea of the answer of many leukemia questions using only epidemiology.

PsychoDan said:

ALL = 0-14
AML = 15-39; 40-59
CLL = 60+
CML = 40-59

I have always been curious about goljan's tips for the boards. Whats to stop the step 1 ppl from listening to his audio and changing the 'giveaway' portion of the questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
KNightInBlue said:
I have always been curious about goljan's tips for the boards. Whats to stop the step 1 ppl from listening to his audio and changing the 'giveaway' portion of the questions?

Absolutely nothing. The same goes for buzzwords which are showing up less and less apparently.

Still, there's some tips that really are relevant, but I wouldn't rely on memorizing little niblets of info. Know major concepts, I honestly got only a handful of WTF questions on my exam.

KNightInBlue said:

Don't expect them to change it much from year to year. They don't give percentiles because they are misleading. Instead, your 3-digit score is supposed to be comparable for any year, unlike the MCAT which gives you a score based solely on your percentile for that given year. The only way they can ensure this consistency is to keep testing the same concepts in the same ways.

It's hard to explain, but I hope that makes sense. If not, go to the USMLE website and read about the percentile stuff.

joe6102 said:
The only way they can ensure this consistency is to keep testing the same concepts in the same ways.

I'm not sure if I totally agree with this. If you dig up questions from Step 1's from pre-2000 (they do publish the "retired" questions) they are much shorter, much less clinically relevant and require a lot more memorization rather than critical thinking.

While I'll agree that the exam 2 or 3 years ago is probably not horribly different from now, the boards are an ever-changing thing. They've made a real push in the last few years to eliminate buzzwords and present everything as a clinical vignette.

I'd guess the way they maintain consistency from year-to-year is because 50/350 questions on the exam are "trial" questions that aren't scored but my appear on next year's exam. They pick the right combo of those to make an exam where a 182 this year and a 182 next year are the same, but the questions are certainly different.