Goljan Step 1 Score vs Pathoma Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people who used goljan audio alone (no rapid review and no pathoma) and people who used pathoma video (with or without the pathoma book but no goljan audio and no rapid review) post their scores on the real test/practice tests?

(Or if you know people who took either approach, please post their scores)

(I started a similar thread before, but thought it would be better to have a stand alone thread for this topic).

Members don't see this ad.

Your score isn't defined by the resources you use. There are too many confounding variables. The only relevant points are that both are good resources, Pathoma is more comprehensive, Goljan audio is better at explaining basic concepts, and RR is more comprehensive than either of the two (but also very long).

You can't compare the two by looking at people's test scores. It's an exercise in futility to even consider trying. If you don't understand why, then re-read the Behavioral Sciences section of First Aid.

Also, you have to consider that almost everybody has used Goljan audio at some point for some reason. I can't imagine that you'll find many people who went through all of Pathoma and never touched any of Goljan.

as an aside... w00t, this is my 999th post! I want to write something special for #1000... I was thinking it could be my report on Step 1, but that's still over a week away... maybe I should stop posting between now and then?

Your score isn't defined by the resources you use. There are too many confounding variables. The only relevant points are that both are good resources, Pathoma is more comprehensive, Goljan audio is better at explaining basic concepts, and RR is more comprehensive than either of the two (but also very long).

You can't compare the two by looking at people's test scores. It's an exercise in futility to even consider trying. If you don't understand why, then re-read the Behavioral Sciences section of First Aid.

Also, you have to consider that almost everybody has used Goljan audio at some point for some reason. I can't imagine that you'll find many people who went through all of Pathoma and never touched any of Goljan.

as an aside... w00t, this is my 999th post! I want to write something special for #1000... I was thinking it could be my report on Step 1, but that's still over a week away... maybe I should stop posting between now and then?

Still, I want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)

I highly doubt that you stop posting. Lol

I see what you're saying, I'm just trying to get an idea on what to do now, I got less than 2 weeks left.

Is it worth listening to Goljan? I listened to some of the beginning ones, like nutrition, neoplasia, fluid dynamics, and some random system ones (resp, cns, endo, renal, gi).

What do you guys generally do when listening to Goljan or Pathoma?

I tend to just listen them passively (just trying to get an understanding of the overall picture, not really memorizing anything), and then read/memorize/understand the details are in First Aid.

Agree. This is not gonna yield you any substantial information. Furthermore, scores are not really influenced by goljan or Pathoma. There are many people who score highly with either one, both or neither. It's all about how you use your resources not the specific ones. I highly doubt the SDN sampling will tell you anything.

Two people can use EXACTLY the same resources for the same amount of time and still score a 20-30 point difference. Truth.

This is what I was going to say when I originally saw the thread but was too lazy to.

I see what you're saying, I'm just trying to get an idea on what to do now, I got less than 2 weeks left.

Is it worth listening to Goljan? I listened to some of the beginning ones, like nutrition, neoplasia, fluid dynamics, and some random system ones (resp, cns, endo, renal, gi).

What do you guys generally do when listening to Goljan or Pathoma?

I tend to just listen them passively (just trying to get an understanding of the overall picture, not really memorizing anything), and then read/memorize/understand the details are in First Aid.

Well, i have never listened to Goljan. I usually read the 125 page pdf transcript of the audio. Much easier and faster. But most ppl who listen, do it either in the car or at the gym.

Well, i have never listened to Goljan. I usually read the 125 page pdf transcript of the audio. Much easier and faster. But most ppl who listen, do it either in the car or at the gym.

How do I get a pdf copy of the audio? Anyone have one they can send over?