Goljan Tapes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, Paws is coming up on her board exam next June and I keep hearing about these Goljan tapes, but I don't hear anything about where to get them. Even classmates get all vague when I ask them where they got their tapes, "oh, a friend gave them to me ..." Ok, I obviously have the wrong kinds of friends, people who like me, are completely clueless about this stuff.

So, do people really swear by this guy and are these tapes worth it? I found this google site: http://usmlestep.com/shop/view_product.php?product=18

Any good? I am really out of the loop I guess. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Paws said:
Ok, Paws is coming up on her board exam next June and I keep hearing about these Goljan tapes, but I don't hear anything about where to get them.
Any good? I am really out of the loop I guess. :(

Does Paws always talk about herself in the 3rd person?

go to doctok.com and you can download them for free in mp3 format, you may have to convert them if you want to put it on an ipod

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
BlackNDecker said:
Does Paws always talk about herself in the 3rd person?

Sometimes I do. :)

Thanks guys for the tips. Yesterday one of my classmates said he got them on Ebay for aboutm $10 so that sounds like the best thing. Altho I am going to check out the free site ...

Paws said:
Sometimes I do. :)

Thanks guys for the tips. Yesterday one of my classmates said he got them on Ebay for aboutm $10 so that sounds like the best thing. Altho I am going to check out the free site ...

Just keep in mind that the ones you buy from Ebay are bootlegs, and the sellers probably downloaded them for free from the same site listed above.

DoctorWannaBe said:
Just keep in mind that the ones you buy from Ebay are bootlegs, and the sellers probably downloaded them for free from the same site listed above.

All audio recordings from Goljan are bootlegs.

Wow, I did the ebay thing and got my cd's yesterday in the mail. $2.00 for the tapes and like, 10.00 for shipping. :rolleyes: Whatever, when I looked at the postage it was 0.60 and the 'tapes' are cd's. I don't care I guess because for 12.00 I have my own bootleg copies of the material.

It's a shame that this guy can't get the copyright benefits of this. The cd's were just copies burned onto officedepot cd's. As for the free site, I tried to register and log in but it kept throwing me off or saying something was missing from my information, even when I put everything in. So I said, forget that and I just done the ebay thing because I could't stand the computer glitches with the doctalk website.

Thanks again guys for the tips!

Paws said:
Wow, I did the ebay thing and got my cd's yesterday in the mail. $2.00 for the tapes and like, 10.00 for shipping. :rolleyes: Whatever, when I looked at the postage it was 0.60 and the 'tapes' are cd's.

ebay users do this because ebay takes a percentage of the final sale price. so if you sold something for $1 and inflated the shipping cost to $10, you still get $11, but you only pay ebay a percentage of the $1 'price' instead of the real $10 price and $1 shipping.

Don't forget the $0.60 shipping doesn't cover the cost of the mailer.

To get the goljan audio plus notes, email: [email protected]

she emailed them directly into my YAHOO account. Very reliable and FAST(like two days)! Highly recommended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a "table of contents" of sorts for the audios? Like a checklist of topics discussed per track? He veers wildly off-course and its hard to keep a count.

This is the list that [email protected] gave me when I got my files.

Day 1:
Cell Injury A ~8.5MB
Cell Injury B ~8.6MB
Inflammation A ~ 8.5MB
Inflammation B ~10MB
Fluid and Hemodynamics A ~8.5MB
Fluid and Hemodynamics B ~8.5MB
Fluib and Hemodynamics C ~7.82MB

Day 2:
Nutrition A ~8.9MB
Nurtition B and Neoplasia ~8.7MB
Neoplasia B ~8.7MB
Neoplasia C ~9.9MB
Hematology B ~8.9MB
Hematology C ~8.5MB
Hematology D ~8.7MB
Hematology E ~10.2MB

Day 3:
Hematology F ~8.9MB
Hematology G ~8.8MB
Hematology H ~8.5MB
Cardiovascular A ~10.2MB
Cardio B ~9.4MB
Cardio C ~8.1MB
Cardio D ~8.4MB
Respiratory A ~10.5

Day 4:
Respiratory B ~8.6MB
Resp B ~8.7MB
GI A ~8.7MB
GI B ~10MB
Hepatobiliary A ~8.7MB
Hapatobiliary B 8.1MB
Renal A ~8.1MB
Renal B ~10.8MB

Day 5:
GYN A ~9.1MB
GYN B ~7.8MB
Endocrine ~10.3MB
Musculoskeletal ~8.5MB
Derm ~8.7MB
CNS Special Senses ~7.2MB

Goljan Notes Vol I/II (5 files total varying in size from 1-10MB)
Goljan HY 100pages (3 files totaling ~20MB)
Goljan HY Notes 36 pages (1 file ~4 MB)
Goljan Questions (2 files ~12MB)

Does Dr SarahSmith charge for the material? how much?

My ebay material is working out pretty well, and the lectures are well described. I am happy with what I got, and for $12.00 it is ok. Dr G is good for beginning review and I am anotating my FA and BRS path/phys as I go.

drsarahsmith asked for a $12 paypal transfer fee and I got everything within 48 hrs. I'm more than happy with the notes and audio. She was also really upfront and honest in her dealings with me.

I'd also recommend webprep, especially for path with Dr. B. After listening to Dr. G for the umpteenth time, it's nice to have a change :)

Is there a 2005 version of Dr. G's audio?

vtrain said:
drsarahsmith asked for a $12 paypal transfer fee and I got everything within 48 hrs. I'm more than happy with the notes and audio. She was also really upfront and honest in her dealings with me.

I'd also recommend webprep, especially for path with Dr. B. After listening to Dr. G for the umpteenth time, it's nice to have a change :)

Is there a 2005 version of Dr. G's audio?

My buddy and I have been doing goljan audio for the last month or so, and having just finished up renal, i swear by goljan tapes. Not only is it good path, it's good basics of everything. he integrates biochem, pharm, bunch of physiology, all using clinical side of things, which is kinda how boards are going to be. And he explains everything very well. My buddy's got his Rapid review path book also, and he swears by that completely. I'm about to buy that also--sayanora Kaplan path; buenas dias, dr. G path
cheers

paramenace said:
My buddy and I have been doing goljan audio for the last month or so, and having just finished up renal, i swear by goljan tapes. Not only is it good path, it's good basics of everything. he integrates biochem, pharm, bunch of physiology, all using clinical side of things, which is kinda how boards are going to be. And he explains everything very well. My buddy's got his Rapid review path book also, and he swears by that completely. I'm about to buy that also--sayanora Kaplan path; buenas dias, dr. G path
cheers

ps. be aware that he refers to his figures/slides in the audio but the slides are nowhere to be found--they are copy righted and so far i haven't come across it anywhere on the net, which leads me to believe that those are about as inaccessible as a remote control somewhere in the skin folds of a very obese pt.

paramenace said:
ps. be aware that he refers to his figures/slides in the audio but the slides are nowhere to be found--they are copy righted and so far i haven't come across it anywhere on the net, which leads me to believe that those are about as inaccessible as a remote control somewhere in the skin folds of a very obese pt.

:laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
They are on the internet. I'm looking at them right now.

Only OSU-COM students get the password.

It is *********

Sorry to burst your bubble, but for $30 anybody can get the highest yield slides that Goljan mentions in his bootleg audios... They're in his Rapid Review book.
And if you want ALL of his slides that he mentioned, they're on the CD that comes with the book... according to Dr. Goljan himself.
He even told his OTHER students, at the recent Kaplan course, not to worry about slides because you can pretty much answer the question without even looking at the slide.

MD999 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but for $30 anybody can get the highest yield slides that Goljan mentions in his bootleg audios... They're in his Rapid Review book.
And if you want ALL of his slides that he mentioned, they're on the CD that comes with the book... according to Dr. Goljan himself.
He even told his OTHER students, at the recent Kaplan course, not to worry about slides because you can pretty much answer the question without even looking at the slide.

Nope. I've got the book. Sorry to "burst your bubble."

OSUdoc08 said:
Nope. I've got the book. Sorry to "burst your bubble."

There is a very limited selection in the book, and the school intranet gives us access to hundreds of more slides, complete with high yield descriptions.

The CD is like a sample taken from the full material that he provides us.

Book's slides and the CD's slides are more than enough (and all that's in his audio lectures).He told his Kaplan students that all the pics used in his lectures are on the book and cd.
Anyhow, more than that would be overkill.

MD999 said:
Book's slides and the CD's slides are more than enough (and all that's in his audio lectures).He told his Kaplan students that all the pics used in his lectures are on the book and cd.
Anyhow, more than that would be overkill.

Perhaps, but this is your opinion, not a fact.

OSUdoc, the goljan lectures sound a bit dated.

How much new material does he go into when he runs the prep anew in recent years?

beastmaster said:
OSUdoc, the goljan lectures sound a bit dated.

How much new material does he go into when he runs the prep anew in recent years?

He updates them every couple of years. He is currently writing a new Rapid Review pathology book, which he has been giving to us for class notes.

I'm sure he will use this new material for spring reviews.

Does anyone else feel that Dr G is a bit well, uh ... hard to listen to after a while? I am just on the last lectures and I feel like I just can't take another snort or chuckle from him. He also sounds really angry and freaked out sometimes. I think his earlier lectures were ok, but by the time you get to day five he is way out there.

His material is good, but I feel burnt out after a while. Also, the Kaplan guys are similar. Some of them don't speak English very well ("mouses" instead of "mice") and their verbal tics are tiring. I don't use the lectures because of that.

how do i get goljan's audio on my ipod? every time i try to add those files to my ipod, it says my ipod cannot read them. has anybody else had this problem?

labelwhore said:
how do i get goljan's audio on my ipod? every time i try to add those files to my ipod, it says my ipod cannot read them. has anybody else had this problem?
I thought it was just me! I can listen to it on my laptop only.

futuredo32 said:
I thought it was just me! I can listen to it on my laptop only.
in itunes...right click...convert to AAC

Is there a new HY set of notes from Dr. Goljan that was given out in 2005. Supposedly it's 45 pages. Does anyone know and can anyone help out?
Thanks

Is there a new HY set of notes from Dr. Goljan that was given out in 2005. Supposedly it's 45 pages. Does anyone know and can anyone help out?
Thanks

medfann said:
Thanks

Rapid Review Pathology

should we get the RRP new edition, or just use the old one? Any marked difference b/t the two?

vtrain said:
should we get the RRP new edition, or just use the old one? Any marked difference b/t the two?

Yes. The 2006 edition will have 200 color images added, and 100 pages of text added.

Maybe you shouldn't buy hardware that forces you to use a closed proprietary audio format. My ipod (which I got for free from the bank for opening a new account) plays mp3s just fine. You just need to run a small utility to update the database on the hardware once you upload the mp3s. It takes less than 2 seconds. Oh, and itunes sucks.

mcandy said:
in itunes...right click...convert to AAC