Goljan's New Rapid Review Pathology book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Goljan gave me some info on his new book for those of you who are interested.

The book has:
  • outline format that integrates basic & clinical sciences
  • high-yield margin notes
  • 2 sets of 50 USMLE step 1-type m/c questions with 32 images...complete discussions of all answer options
  • table of common lab values

The CD-ROM that comes with the book has:
  • 350 USMLE step 1-type m/c questions with 167 full color images...complete discussions of all answer options
  • test mode/reviow mode options
  • scoring function

The book has been released, but isn't on amazon yet for some reason. I'm hoping to talk to Dr. Goljan tomorrow & see if he knows what's up.

Members don't see this ad.

I purchased the book yesterday and have been looking through it. Although it looks like an excellent book (better than BRS IMHO), there doesn't seem to be as many integrations (i.e. no pharm and very little physio) that are included in his notes from the Kaplan course. At any rate, I will be using it as my primary source from Path. Oh, it also has pictures and his usual MOST COMMONS in the margins.

He has some great Most Commons books, too, btw.

I talked to Dr. Goljan today about the fact that amazon doesn't have the book listed as released yet. He doesn't know what's going on, but he guesses that amazon just hasn't received their shipment yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
unc12 said:
I purchased the book yesterday and have been looking through it. Although it looks like an excellent book (better than BRS IMHO), there doesn't seem to be as many integrations (i.e. no pharm and very little physio) that are included in his notes from the Kaplan course. At any rate, I will be using it as my primary source from Path. Oh, it also has pictures and his usual MOST COMMONS in the margins.

Can you elaborate why you think its better than BRS? How are the questions?

According to Dr. G, the former series editor for BRS is now affiliated with the RR series that he edits...he claims that BRS has fallen off with the most recent editions, due to this, and (of course) his material is better. Take that for what its worth.

Idiopathic said:
According to Dr. G, the former series editor for BRS is now affiliated with the RR series that he edits...he claims that BRS has fallen off with the most recent editions, due to this, and (of course) his material is better. Take that for what its worth.

Obviously, there is much high praise for Goljan's material, but BRS Path has been something that a lot of med students have lived by for years. If someone has both and you have a sec to reply, please give an objective and brief comparison of them (format and layout, material, questions, diagrams/pictures, etc.)

I haven't seen the book myself yet, but I'll tell you what Goljan does to compare materials. He has a list of topics/questions that commonly appear on the boards (about 40 things). He sees if the various review books address these items and basically scores each source on how it covers those items. He says that nothing out there right now does very well.

Even though this is coming from Goljan, it seems to be a pretty objective way to compare different sources.

Well, it really seems like he puts in the extra mile to make his material the best, and this is apparent with the results from students who swear by him. Looks like his RR book will be one of THE books to use for step 1. Thanks for all the input.

SolidGold said:
Obviously, there is much high praise for Goljan's material, but BRS Path has been something that a lot of med students have lived by for years. If someone has both and you have a sec to reply, please give an objective and brief comparison of them (format and layout, material, questions, diagrams/pictures, etc.)

Well, I went to the bookstore a few days ago to take a look at the book, because I bought a BRS from someone and wanted to see if Goljan's book was better. So basically I opened each book up to chapters covering the same material. They're both organized in the same basic outline format. Goljan's book is two color (if I remember right) and has some "most common" stuff in the margins. It appears that while BRS has more definitions in it, Goljan's book has more clinical stuff, i.e. "This lesion goes all the way from x to y and looks like this." Being a first year and not having taken pathology yet, I couldn't really tell you what's important and what would help you remember, though. :D Being that Goljan's book is more clinically oriented, it might be better for boards...but then again, BRS has been the "must have" book for years...so, until more people give their reviews, I'm probably staying with BRS.

I have read both. No one can argue with the content of Goljan, and since they share the same format (outline), you just go with what you trust. I firmly believe that BRS will absolutely lose the Path market within 5 years due to this book, should the series gain acceptance. I think that medical students relied on BRS for so long because it has been all that is out there. High-yield is too concise, NMS is too freakin' much...this is right in the middle, and seems to be the kind of book that could give BRS a run...I am sure that is the design.

The biggest reason that I chose to use rapid review is that fact that I have been listening to his lectures from a CD I bought. The book follows right along with the lectures. The books also has some pics which also help a little. I also believe the questions at the end as well as the questions on the CD are much better than BRS's. At any rate, you can't go wrong with either book.

After reading this book thoroughly, I take my comment back on the lack of integrations. One way or another, they are in there. I truely believe if you can master this book, you will have no problem doing well on the boards. I would estimate that over 75% of the questions on Qbank could be answered by using this book...definitely a must have in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
It has alot more pharm than i expected. I wish I had it during the semester. It would have made my life alot easier. :)

Idiopathic said:
It is identical to our lecture notes...I felt that there was a lot of integration.

The lecture notes from your Path class?

Hmm... for those of us taking the boards in a month or so and have already read through BRS path, would Goljan's new book still be helpful or just a time suck at this point? It sounds like a great book, I wish it came out a few months ago :p

I'll let Idiopathic handle that one. I'm only using Goljan's materials for path, so I can't give you much input.

I agree that the timing could've been better, but that ends up being a publisher, not author, issue.

That's weird about the amazon.com deal. I actually ordered the book from them a LONG time ago and just received an email saying it had been shipped. However, I can't seem to find the book on their website.

It's gotta be there someplace.

mele said:
Hmm... for those of us taking the boards in a month or so and have already read through BRS path, would Goljan's new book still be helpful or just a time suck at this point? It sounds like a great book, I wish it came out a few months ago :p

Couldn hurt. I think you could read it in 3-4 days and really it might help you...or it might not. I cant imagine not having those notes for the boards, but I already locked down path for the final, so I am reviewing organ systems rather than individual subjects.

UnderGrad said:
That's weird about the amazon.com deal. I actually ordered the book from them a LONG time ago and just received an email saying it had been shipped. However, I can't seem to find the book on their website.

It's gotta be there someplace.

I was able to find it the other day, but no picture. They say its in though.

Let me also say that there were about 100 typos in the notes that I hope got corrected before press time. A lot of them were minor, but, as with any book, if you read something that strikes you as odd, dont go completely on what is written in one book.

the typos in the notes, is that in the new RR path book? if it is, then can we make a list of all the typos that people find? just curious :)

I highly doubt that all those errors would make it past all of the editors and reviewers that Goljan had read through the book. Things don't just get published. There might be a few since its a new publication, but no way is there around 100 typos.

They are mostly obvious (i.e. up vs. down), bt just like First Aid, if you arent paying attention, you can really screw yourself up. I havent read the book yet, but the notes, while incredibly thorough, did contain some notable errors that I dont have time to find. The point is: whatever source you use, make sure you dont take everything as gospel. I have found, just in the past three days, mistakes in StepUp, Secrets for the USMLE and Buzzwords...some are blatant, some are less obvious. Have to be careful.

Hi,
could someone please clear up for me the difference between Goljan's Integrated Pathology Notes that go along with his CD lecture and the Rapid Review Pathology? Does Rapid Review Path. have his lectures on CD also? Do you consider that Rapid Review Path. is a better source?
thanks!

Im almost absolutely sure that the rapid review book doesn't contain any lectures.

that was taped from a kaplan session of his.

Im curious to know if his rapid review book is the same as the notes he gave out for kaplan.

He would make a killing if he would just publish an audio/lecture series like people are buying on ebay.
Maybe his teaching with Kaplan precludes him from doing so.

I went to the bookstore and looked through the rapid review pathology and compared it to the integrated pathology. I found hardly any major differences, so I think that if you have the integrated pathology, it is not necessary to buy the rapid review. The topics are the same, just in a different format.

for those who went through the boards, any recommendations on if the rr book is useful? I browsed thorugh it at my bookstore and it seemed decent. however, i woudlnt' want to get it if there's tons of mistakes in it.

Yeah, I used BRS Pathology and Goljan's new book. Without a doubt, BRS pathology is the Gold STANDARD for path. Know BRS pathology verbatim and you should be fine in pathology.

So is there a consensus on which is better or I should say sufficient to kill the path section on the boards. RR Path or Goljans kaplan notes? Any takers.

basha said:
So is there a consensus on which is better or I should say sufficient to kill the path section on the boards. RR Path or Goljans kaplan notes? Any takers.
I honestly don't know.

Goljan's Kaplan Notes seem to contain extra info pertinent to Step 2.
But there are 2 different sets of those notes too. One is about 1/2 the material.

I have his RR book as well. It feels slightly more condensed from his kaplan notes, but includes photos and more questions.

It really is a toss up. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

i have heard that the stars path review is pretty good, and ppl who have read that have done really well in my class, but it may have more info--im not sure. Ims till debating btwn it, brs, and RR. (and maybe even goljan notes)

Does anyone here recommend reading both books? I mean, path is such a huge portion of Step I that I am thinking it couldn't hurt to go topic by topic and read both books. What do you guys think?

azzarah said:
Does anyone here recommend reading both books? I mean, path is such a huge portion of Step I that I am thinking it couldn't hurt to go topic by topic and read both books. What do you guys think?

I have both of the Goljan notes sets and the RR book, and a ragged copy of the BRS. I have been using the Goljan notes for some time now, but I took oa detailed look at the RR book and really liked it. As someone said earlier, it is quite similar to the Goljan notes, but it is better organized, has a bit more pertinent info, and the pics are invaluable when listening to the audio (does not come with the book). The RR also follows along with the audio. The Goljan audio is outstanding, and combines all the aspects of step one, such as biochem, micro, physio, and pharm with pathology.
Another thing is that many of the errors in the Goljan notes have been corrected.

I am not a fan of BRS pathology, although many swear by it. It is like Robbins in list format, and is excessively detailed. But it is very well organized.

On another note, the old "Stars Pathology" by Goljan is quite similar to the RR book, but it lacks the USMLE HY notes. It also has all of the pics, and they are larger than in the RR book

Conclusion:

I would buy the RR book read it and then follow along with the audio. Do not waste time reading both books unless you have lots of time and are one of those people who do well with repetitive reading.

You might have a point about Goljan streamlining the RR book, but really, does anyone still think its worth reading his kaplan notes after the RR book is out. If anything, I'll do the audio since everyones been praising it like crazy. Also, what do you guys think about the micro and pharm book by rapid review, im reading them currently and they are a lot more easier to grasp than the "lippincott pharm" or "lange pharm review and test" or "micro made ridicously simple" . What do you guys think about them? Any people who took the boards recently use these books, they look good, just as good as goljans RR path book.

vegemitosis said:
I have both of the Goljan notes sets and the RR book, and a ragged copy of the BRS. I have been using the Goljan notes for some time now, but I took oa detailed look at the RR book and really liked it. As someone said earlier, it is quite similar to the Goljan notes, but it is better organized, has a bit more pertinent info, and the pics are invaluable when listening to the audio (does not come with the book). The RR also follows along with the audio. The Goljan audio is outstanding, and combines all the aspects of step one, such as biochem, micro, physio, and pharm with pathology.
Another thing is that many of the errors in the Goljan notes have been corrected.

I am not a fan of BRS pathology, although many swear by it. It is like Robbins in list format, and is excessively detailed. But it is very well organized.

On another note, the old "Stars Pathology" by Goljan is quite similar to the RR book, but it lacks the USMLE HY notes. It also has all of the pics, and they are larger than in the RR book

Conclusion:

I would buy the RR book read it and then follow along with the audio. Do not waste time reading both books unless you have lots of time and are one of those people who do well with repetitive reading.

Is it worth spending the time to read stars over RR if my path is not very strong? Is it pretty difficult reading?

basha said:
You might have a point about Goljan streamlining the RR book, but really, does anyone still think its worth reading his kaplan notes after the RR book is out. If anything, I'll do the audio since everyones been praising it like crazy. Also, what do you guys think about the micro and pharm book by rapid review, im reading them currently and they are a lot more easier to grasp than the "lippincott pharm" or "lange pharm review and test" or "micro made ridicously simple" . What do you guys think about them? Any people who took the boards recently use these books, they look good, just as good as goljans RR path book.

The AUDIO is much easier to follow with teh 300 page Goljan Notes because it is prose. Rapid Review is not in prose form but rather, short facts. It is not easy to follow it with this book, try it if you don't believe it.

Tedebear,

Good Point. I must agree with you there. After looking a bit more closely, ther are lots of bolded things in the Notes, that are not bolded in the RR book, but most are still there. Yet it is nice to see something say "USMLE-->" and then have a high yield fact right after it. The notes do this but not the RR book.

B,
As for Pharm, I liked the USMLE Roadmap book by Katzung and Trevor. It is shorter than the RR book, and includes clinical correlates.
And for Micro, the RR book is very good, but the Micro made RS book is, in my opinion, the best, if you are a visual learner and like lots of pictures and mnemonics.

C-

I like roadmap, I used it all throughout pharm in 2nd yr, but I feel that the RR pharm is going to be a lot more comprehensive now that I got the essentials down. Still many people recommend going with roadmap/first aid to be sufficient for boards. Anyway, I really need to decide between RR path and the kaplan notes (Im doing both now, but Im gonna have to give up one cuz next 3 blocks are simply murder and wont allow me to do both). Which one is a safer bet? Thanks guys. Take care.

HiddenTruth said:
Is it worth spending the time to read stars over RR if my path is not very strong? Is it pretty difficult reading?

No, Stars is easy reading, but if you have RR use it instead, or if you can get ahold of the "Notes", use those. The problem with the stars book is that it is not filled with "USMLE Gems".

There are 2 Stars books, one is the full text, and the other is "Stars Pathology review" book. The review book is just a summary of the text, and is approx. 200 pages shorter.

If your path is weak, I really recommend the Goljan Audio, and either the RR book, or the "Goljan Notes"

vegemitosis said:
Tedebear,

Good Point. I must agree with you there. After looking a bit more closely, ther are lots of bolded things in the Notes, that are not bolded in the RR book, but most are still there. Yet it is nice to see something say "USMLE-->" and then have a high yield fact right after it. The notes do this but not the RR book.

are you talking about the thick book he hands out to his students in kaplan or like those 100 page HY notes?

For others, I've been reading the Stars, since it's not so "outline" format like BRS and others. I realized that after you read that, you can quickly read the BRS chapter, and it makes much more sense and take additioanl notes, if needed in the stars book. That's what i've been doing--taking a bit longer, but working out. Plus, I think it would be suffice to go back and read only BRS once you have rad one of the more detailed versions of Goljans' books (RR, Stars, notes, whatever). Good luck

I have a couple of questions for you Goljan afficionados. On amazon I see a couple of books by Goljan:

Pathology (Rapid Review)

and

Usmle Step 1 (Rapid Review Series)

Is the latter one just questions? And if not, what is the difference?

Thanks

Idiopathic said:

Error in fact, Dr. Goljan was not the series editor for the Board Review Series… he was the series editor for the Board Simulator Series.

Wrigleyville said:
I have a couple of questions for you Goljan afficionados. On amazon I see a couple of books by Goljan:

Pathology (Rapid Review)

and

Usmle Step 1 (Rapid Review Series)

Is the latter one just questions? And if not, what is the difference?

Thanks

RR USMLE Step 1 is JUST questions.
The RR pathology is obviously the RR path by Goljan that everyone has been talking about on this thread. Keep in mind that the RR pathology book does not have questions at the end of each chapter like BRS or Stars Path. (The RR path is basically derived from stars. It's his older version but MUCH easier to read, for me at least)