Goljian Sucks: There I Said It!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phallacious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the guy is too low yield, too much minutiae and it's awful listening to his audio when he is talking about slides you can't see.

Save your time and memorize First Aid and do Kaplan Live Prep.

Members don't see this ad.

the guy is too low yield, too much minutiae and it's awful listening to his audio when he is talking about slides you can't see.

agree about the audio...so overrated...

I'm a big fan of the book though.

I think the audio is really helpful when you commute or go to the gym. I don't think it'd be that easy to read while you walk or work out.

I think the audio is really helpful when you commute or go to the gym. I don't think it'd be that easy to read while you walk or work out.

Are you guys kidding me? What low-yield stuff are you talking about?? All he covers is are the absolute essentials, plus his integrations are awesome. Buy the RR book and you'll find a lot of his pictures and tables in it. Get the copyrighted slides and you'll see all of them. What blashphemy! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
i also wasn't a fan of goljan. i used some audio and a little of his book for step1 but abandoned it quickly. didn't use any goljan for step2. maybe it depends on what sort of learner you are, or maybe the base one starts with?

I wouldn't go as far to say as he sucks, but he's not for everybody.

You can get a good score on the boards without being a Goljan fan.

I don't know if he's good or not... but he's animated and keeps my attention on the audio stuff. At this point, so far out from boards, anything I can dump in my iPod and listen to during commutes, exercise, before bed, etc. is much better than getting motivated to read some dense review book covering a lot of stuff I've never heard of. Picking up a few heads up facts now, and getting a good review on what I have had, without any "active" effort on my part gets a :thumbup:

As for the RR Path book, looks like an acceptable review book. I hope it doesn't perpetuate some of the oversights and erroneous claims made in Robbins, but it looks much better structured than Robbins for a board type review. I'm sure other alternatives work well too (BRS etc.) but I figured I'd get the book that followed the audio format in case I wanted to do a little more active listening.

Blasphamy! Those audio lectures are freaking gold.

I'm sure I would have done fine without goljan - but listening to the audio 10x while driving for 6 months made my score.

Then on my test, nearly every other had me thinking "Goljan said that".

You may not like him, but what he says is solid.

i agree that his audio is useless. i thought his book was $$ though.

I'm sure I would have done fine without goljan - but listening to the audio 10x while driving for 6 months made my score.

Then on my test, nearly every other had me thinking "Goljan said that".

You may not like him, but what he says is solid.

completely agree

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say that he sucks, but the book does go into way too much clinical detail on certain things. Remember that the book was made for Step 2, too.

agreed. I personally couldn't listen to that guys arrogant bs for hours on end.

I loved it.

My only problem was I would spend more time listening to his wacky anecdotes (like how he had two MI's on his first day of residency) and less on the actual facts.

...erroneous claims made in Robbins, but it looks much better structured than Robbins for a board type review...

What errononeous claims? I would like to know because I'm using Robbins review, wich is based on, of course, Robbins book. Please give me some examples. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I really like Goljan audio; I'll confirm when I take the test.

What errononeous claims? I would like to know because I'm using Robbins review, wich is based on, of course, Robbins book. Please give me some examples. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I really like Goljan audio; I'll confirm when I take the test.
Well, I doubt I'll ever have time to go through and note all of them, but a couple off hand...

Granulomas do not always encase caseous necrotic debris, especially in TB.
Not all metaplasias are reversible.
Does hypertrophy really damage heart myocytes? Or is it just the HTN?
Acute pancreatitis is very common wrt severe abdominal processes, despite BR claiming it is uncommon.

There are no doubt dozens. Of course, many of these are clinical correlation details and probably not particularly relevant to step 1 testable material. And no one source is perfect of couse; I'm sure BR is correct in numerous places where any other single source is not.

But BR does seem to have the position as "the bible" of pathology to many people, thus some of the stuff that is easily discountable finds its way into many more concise review type books.

Not a big deal. I guess I just like having more than one "reference" source for things.

I used BRS Path sporadically thru the year - did not like it. I am a visual learner and really like the Goljan Path book. It is well organized and I kick myself everytime as to why I did not use thru the year- then I would have been reviewing vs. studying the book for the first time. Like the bullet point format and pictures. The teachers in my school always spread te message of the "Bible" - Robbins and I could not keep up with the reading. To that end this book is awesome.

That's no big deal, most people that come on a boat have accents ju know

Read your post, looked at your picture, then actually heard al pacino saying your post in my head --hilarious! :laugh:

I wouldnt call his teaching DRIVEL. Sure the guy gets of on a few tangents but it keeps the material interesting and makes for easy listening. Listening to Goljan feels like getting a path lecture from your favorite eccentric uncle (that almost everyone has).

My favorite tangent was his story about his friend who, before a marathon started, **** on some poor bastards lawn/tree and then hosed his butt off while the guy was watching in disbelief. :thumbup: