Good Academic Hospitals to do my first Anethesia rotation in 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idon'tknow??

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing my third year in osteopathic medical school, and I am planning to go into Anesthesia.

With strong USMLE scores, which academic medical centers in the Pennsylvainia or New Jersey area would you recommend for my first rotation in Anesthesia?

Thanks.............

Members don't see this ad.

i am in the same situation as well...looking for top allopathic programs that are DO friendly.......any advice would be greatly appreciated.......

thanks

Not to hi-jack the thread but I am in the same situation in the Western US and any advice on good academic rotations would be very helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Harborview Medical Center @ UWashington. Massive clinical experience. You wanna throw in central lines? Just ask and you shall receive. You will do it all there. You will be taught there.

Dr. Cullen, as in Cullen and Barash is head over there. Lots of big shots to ask for letters. Extremely well respected. Trauma up the wazoo. Seattle in the summer is unbeatable (chicks, bars, outdoors). Oh, and the folks there are awsome.

Harborview sounds awesome. They belong to U of Washington's gas program I believe. I was under the impression that UWashington was not very DO friendly. Vent, aren't you DO? Do you know anything about the environment and attitudes towards DOs? Or opportunities for residency?

Don't bother with Cornell or Columbia- not DO friendly. Try NYU and Sinai. I rotated at both of these, as did a friend from NYCOM. At NYU you could get a letter from Thomas Blanck, and he's well known.

Originally posted by Lefty
Harborview sounds awesome. They belong to U of Washington's gas program I believe. I was under the impression that UWashington was not very DO friendly. Vent, aren't you DO? Do you know anything about the environment and attitudes towards DOs? Or opportunities for residency?

That is a crock. They may not be friendly to poor applicants/mentally challenged, but its not a DO thing. I was offered an interview there but declined because I realized that Sea-town was a wee bit too far from my home. There are a couple of DO's in their program.

I never ONCE experienced any sort of discrimination on ANY single rotation I have done at allo institutions. If you work hard, are interested, are friendly, and have a competitive app you can land yourself some truely excellent interviews. UW is definitely a stricter envrionment, but Harborview (UW and VM residents rotate there) is an entirely different entitiy on its own. Check it out man, you will friggen love it!

Will it be harder to get into UW as opposed to other programs? Of course, but don't make the mistake of limiting yourself on the sole basis that you are an osteopath. Land strong letters, USMLE scores, clinical rotations and you will be competitive with everyone. If you have a crappy app THEN you can limit yourself. This ain't a surg subspecialty where you need to be super stellar. Its the land of gas. Be merry.

TAKE THE USMLE!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Thanks for the info Vent... I appreciate it. I'm glad to hear that about UWash. Thanks for your advice man--I already took the USMLE fortunately. I actually did better on that than on comlex.

Robert Wood Johnson in NJ has accepted DOs. I don't think you need to do a rotation there though. One thing they have favored in the past for granting interviews is candidates with ties to the area or who really want to be in NJ for some reason.

With 90th %ile on COMLEX and no USMLE, do you think NYU and Sinai are within reach of getting an interview or just a long-shot?

From DO students applying this year, I've heard that NYU and Sinai are virtually impossible to even get an interview. Is that a fair, legit statement?

My osteo buddy interviewed at both places. Interviews depend on your app. You should call those departments and ask them directly if you're seriously interested in those places. I bet you they'll say "taking the USMLE will make you a more competitive applicant." Don't be angry if you don't interview there because you haven't taken that test. Then again, they may say "holy poop, those COMLEX scores are great." Unlikely however. Rotate there & blow em away with your positive attitude and physiologic/pharmacologic knowledge to greatly increase your chances of matching.

If your USMLE is high enough and you've done some strong rotations then you'll get an interview at most places. We'll have to wait & see how that translates over to the actual match this year (less than 2 weeks!!!!). You are not limited to New Jersey for cryen out loud.

:cool:

Maybe a na?ve question here, but a lot of the threads I?m reading talk about how to get an interview. I guess my question is, as long as you land (and go to) somewhere between 8 and 10 interviews, your chances of matching are high, med, low, etc?.????? If you are interviewing, are you more than likely going to match??