good anatomy and physiology book/study guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtran31

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm probly going to take academic decathalon next year. the science topic will be anatomy and physiology. I'm studying AP Biology this year and have a firm grasp of all the organ systems of our body. I just need to learn all the detail of anatomy and physiology. What textbooks and study guides do yall recommend?

I'm gonna see if the aca deca teach will buy em for me and let me study em over the summer. :p

I'm such a science nerd....

Members don't see this ad.
 
don't laugh here - but probably the best general overview of anatomy is the Anatomy Coloring Book. As for Phys, Thibideau's Form & Function of the body is a good general overview with not much fluff (granted I read this over 12 years ago). I learned very little in my college A&P and physiology classes that I didn't learn in paramedic school from those two books.
 
ShyRem said:
don't laugh here - but probably the best general overview of anatomy is the Anatomy Coloring Book. As for Phys, Thibideau's Form & Function of the body is a good general overview with not much fluff (granted I read this over 12 years ago). I learned very little in my college A&P and physiology classes that I didn't learn in paramedic school from those two books.

I concur with the coloring book. I needed it for a class in high school and it was very detailed. Plus, coloring is fun!
 
Members don't see this ad :)
Ganong (for review)

Guyton (more in depth)

both are physiology, not anatomy.
 
I used Guyton in undergrad. I liked it a lot, but it is VERY in-depth, and the text actually gets smaller as you're reading some of the pages.
 
vtran31 said:
I'm probly going to take academic decathalon next year. the science topic will be anatomy and physiology. I'm studying AP Biology this year and have a firm grasp of all the organ systems of our body. I just need to learn all the detail of anatomy and physiology. What textbooks and study guides do yall recommend?

I'm gonna see if the aca deca teach will buy em for me and let me study em over the summer. :p

I'm such a science nerd....

Check in the ALLO thread- I think someone has posted a thread for good anatomy and phys review books. BRS and First Aid come to mind. (I'm also a proud owner of said coloring book. )
 
vtran31 said:
I'm probly going to take academic decathalon next year. the science topic will be anatomy and physiology. I'm studying AP Biology this year and have a firm grasp of all the organ systems of our body. I just need to learn all the detail of anatomy and physiology. What textbooks and study guides do yall recommend?

I'm gonna see if the aca deca teach will buy em for me and let me study em over the summer. :p

I'm such a science nerd....

uhhhhh, "learn all the details of anatomy..."???? Hmmm, yeah...pick up a Netters and drive yourself nuts. Or, if you want some high yield stuff, check out out the BRS (board review series) by Chung and while you are at it, check out physiology version by Costanza as well. I can't really picture what they'd ask you in academic decathalon (I take it you are in highschool) dealing with anatomy....maybe "The Hip bone is connected to the ____?" or "The heart is part of the _____ system"?
 
Martini's Human Anatomy is the greatest textbook I've ever seen for anatomy. Has enough physiology in it, but I suggest Sherwood's Human Physiology as a supplement. MY University offers the two courses seperately, so two textbooks wasn't overkill for me. But these two textbooks are wonderful, interesting reads! A&P were my favourite subjects in undergrad!
 
Physiology:
Human Physiology by Silverthorna

Anatomy:
Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen with nice cadaver pictures
 
FirestarterSG said:
Martini's Human Anatomy is the greatest textbook I've ever seen for anatomy. Has enough physiology in it, but I suggest Sherwood's Human Physiology as a supplement. MY University offers the two courses seperately, so two textbooks wasn't overkill for me. But these two textbooks are wonderful, interesting reads! A&P were my favourite subjects in undergrad!
I know one of the authors of the Martini book (Tallitsch). Very cool guy.

Sherwood and Silverthorn have decent undergrad-level physio textbooks. I used each for different undergrad physio courses.

Guyton and Costanzo are used in med schools. If you took these for undergrad courses...wow. Sounds like you'll be ahead of the game. I actually ran into a copy of the Costanzo BRS book and some of the sections I could answer pretty well. For other sections, I thought to myself, "Yeah...I think I'll worry about this when I'm in med school."
 
Top