Good anatomy resources before Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontraditional student with no anatomy courses under my belt. I got accepted into my top school and our first course will be a 7-week anatomy course in the summer. I realize the recommendation of "rest before", but I'm not sure I'll get good rest if I don't prep myself at least a little.

What resources would you recommend to lightly review so I can gain some helpful exposure to hit the ground running in the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a nontraditional student with no anatomy courses under my belt. I got accepted into my top school and our first course will be a 7-week anatomy course in the summer. I realize the recommendation of "rest before", but I'm not sure I'll get good rest if I don't prep myself at least a little.

What resources would you recommend to lightly review so I can gain some helpful exposure to hit the ground running in the summer?
rest before
i describe the amount of info you learn in the first year of dental school as, "drinking from a firehose"

rest before
i describe the amount of info you learn in the first year of dental school as, "drinking from a firehose"
But reviewing a little bit of anatomy prior will at least lessen the pressure a bit, will it not?

I know science is all about exposure, and I'm worried about going in completely blind without any prior review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the following for anatomy:

Netter Atlas for gross, and then Netters Head and Neck anatomy for dental. Buy a copy to keep of the head and neck, its a useful book to review every so often.

Aclands anatomy videos - your school likely has a subscription. there are some previews on youtube and stuff.

Rohen's Anatomy Atlas.

Reach out to upperclassmen at your school and ask them what materials they used as that will be more relevant to specify what you look at though.

these resources will work for all anatomy courses however

Reactions: 2 users
Upper level classmates. The extent that each school teaches is variable. Even year to year the extent taught can be different. If you really insist, get it from upper level classmates. I personally liked Rohen's.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like my dental school, people in my class that had no anatomy experience did better than I did...sometimes having no prior knowledge means you’ll study harder because you’re not relying on prior knowledge as much

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend quitting your job, get a couple weeks worth of food, fill up your car with gas and drive across the country.

Reactions: 3 users
So gross anatomy is definitely a firehose. It’s just sheer memorization pouring in every week. I found learning the head and neck sections easier, as it was also part of other classes. Whereas learning and retaining information about other areas (brachial plexus, anyone?) was more difficult. For that reason, if you do want to get in some studying, I’d find a nice easy intro anatomy workbook. Personally I do better with interactive studying methods rather than just straight up textbooks (though yes, Rohan’s was my bible in dental school). If I were in that situation, I’d get Netter’s anatomy coloring book and color stuff—not with the goal of memorizing everything, but with the goal of letting it sink it to my brain a bit so that when the real class starts, there’s something for the information to stick to.

Reactions: 1 user