Good and Bad LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During undergrad I worked as a technician in a physical therapy office. It was a great learning experience, because I had the chance to work with PT's, OT's, Physicians, Nurses, etc... During my time there, I had an amazing boss and he always encouraged me to pursue other fields like PA, MD/DO, or Nursing. We always got along and I seemed to be his favorite, but I asked for a letter of recommendation and it was disheartening. He handed me the LOR and wanted me to read over it. Well... it was a quick read, because it was a paragraph long. When he handed me the letter he stated "This is one of the best LOR I have wrote, because I believe in you." I don't know what to do, because this lasted for two years and is a big part of my clinical experience (even though it is a PT setting). Should I seek out other PT's to write a LOR for me or should I bank on my other LOR writers to overcome this. I hope this doesn't come off as neurotic, but I have heard of horror stories about students submitting bad LOR and I don't want that to hold me back from an acceptance. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh! I have a LOR from my pre-med committee chair that I wrote myself. It is a strong LOR in my eyes.

Members don't see this ad.

During undergrad I worked as a technician in a physical therapy office. It was a great learning experience, because I had the chance to work with PT's, OT's, Physicians, Nurses, etc... During my time there, I had an amazing boss and he always encouraged me to pursue other fields like PA, MD/DO, or Nursing. We always got along and I seemed to be his favorite, but I asked for a letter of recommendation and it was disheartening. He handed me the LOR and wanted me to read over it. Well... it was a quick read, because it was a paragraph long. When he handed me the letter he stated "This is one of the best LOR I have wrote, because I believe in you." I don't know what to do, because this lasted for two years and is a big part of my clinical experience (even though it is a PT setting). Should I seek out other PT's to write a LOR for me or should I bank on my other LOR writers to overcome this. I hope this doesn't come off as neurotic, but I have heard of horror stories about students submitting bad LOR and I don't want that to hold me back from an acceptance. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh! I have a LOR from my pre-med committee chair that I wrote myself. It is a strong LOR in my eyes.
Just because it's brief doesn't mean it's a "bad" LOR. What was the content of the letter?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm paraphrasing because the letter is three hours away lol "DPTinthemaking15 has been a invaluable employee during his time with our company. He demonstrates leadership on a daily basis and we all hate to see him leave. Any medical school would be honored to have him in their entering class of ____." There is more to the letter, but I assumed more was more, but I guess it is quality over quantity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm paraphrasing because the letter is three hours away lol "DPTinthemaking15 has been a invaluable employee during his time with our company. He demonstrates leadership on a daily basis and we all hate to see him leave. Any medical school would be honored to have him in their entering class of ____." There is more to the letter, but I assumed more was more, but I guess it is quality over quantity.

Could you ask him to rewrite after giving him this from the AAMC:

upload_2017-12-9_8-47-21.png

upload_2017-12-9_8-47-43.png