Good/bad to do SURP the summer you apply?? Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chew Man

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am really interested in doing research in medical school (just md/ not md/phd) and wanted to know if it would be beneficial to do a summer undergraduate research program the summer I apply to medical school? Since I would be applying after I got accepted to a program (hopefully haha) but just as it starts would it help my application a lot? Also, would I then be able to send an update on how the research went just as the program ended?

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome. Would I be able to put this on my primary as a future or present event? Or should I wait until I have completed it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the above comment, I didn't see the change in your post before I posted that

Sorry for the above comment, I didn't see the change in your post before I posted that
Man, it is very early in the morning. My brain isn't functioning as it should. I again misread your question lol
If the program ends before the fall semester go ahead and do it. You can put it in your secondaries and even in your primary if you apply after the summer. It will surely be beneficial once completed.

I would probably complete applications as the research would be going on so would I be able to at least write about the research I would be doing and then update them potentially during an interview or something? Or is that not as beneficial?

I would probably complete applications as the research would be going on so would I be able to at least write about the research I would be doing and then update them potentially during an interview or something? Or is that not as beneficial?
It is fine. You will be done before interview invitations are sent so you probably will have something to talk about.