Good book for GS interns for trauma calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting soon. It seems that I'll be on trauma call in July.
Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. You will never be alone in there.
2. Remember your ABC's
3. You will have ATLS prior to starting your intern year, which is probably the single best preparation you can have. It comes with a book that will be helpful.

Knowing how to put in central lines and chest tubes will be the most beneficial thing; your senior resident will be running the trauma and you will simply be performing the primary exam and doing what orders are barked at you.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some trauma handbooks out there but the best ones I've seen are "in house manuals" - ie, produced by the hospital themselves. They give local policies (ie, who gets transferred to Ortho or do they stay on Trauma service).

Otherwise, you'll have passed ATLS and know your primary and secondary surveys. Review the trauma section in your general surgery book and when you are in the CT scanner make sure you look at the images with the radiologist to become more comfortable reading them (a necessary skill as a senior resident).

As noted above, you won't be in there alone - look to the Chief for direction before drawing labs, putting in Foleys, etc. But be prepared to step up and do the primary survey, help move the patient over, get them undressed, etc.

My major pet peeve was ignoring the "minute of silence". When EMS brings a patient in, I (as the Chief or attending) need a minute of silence to hear the report from the transport unit; if you jump on the patient and start yelling out, "airway clear", "breath sounds bilaterally", I can't hear a darn thing the guys are telling me about what happened, when, and how. Unless I tell you to get started, the patient is not going to (in most cases) die in that minute. Even if he was, it wouldn't change the natural history.

I promise to follow ''minute of silence" rule :)

I CROSS COVER for trauma AND GS in July... good luck with THAT ONE.

They never taught us much about cross cover at my med school.

Good luck with trauma in July dude, you'll have a blast!