Good book on ASPD and/or psychopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good book or two on antisocial personality disorder (and/or psychopathy, sociopathy, and related conceptualizations)? I'm more interested in assessment aspects of it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hare's Without Conscience is kind of a layman's read into psychopathy.

Handbook of Psychopathy seems to be my PI's quick reference (essentially a comprehensive textbook).

Psychopathy checklist and its derivations (PCL-YV, etc.) seem to be the most popular assessment instrument.

Hare's Without Conscience is kind of a layman's read into psychopathy.

Handbook of Psychopathy seems to be my PI's quick reference (essentially a comprehensive textbook).

Psychopathy checklist and its derivations (PCL-YV, etc.) seem to be the most popular assessment instrument.

Thanks L.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snakes in Suits.

Sociopath Next Door.

Both books on subcriminal sociopaths.

Though I have great respect for Hare as a researcher and contributor to the field, his popular books are often rambling and dumbed down to the extent that I am put off by him. I have read "Snakes in Suits" and the book could have been much shorter and more tightly put together. It's a fascinating subject not getting the treatment it deserves, and Hare could do better. IMO.

A problem with psychopathy is that it's definition slightly changes depending on the source. It's like trying to define perversion. Get 50 people and while everyone will have an opinion on it, the opinions will vary per person.

The PCL-R take on psychopathy differs from other scales. I've seen people that I and several others I know would consider psychopaths but don't score as such on Hare's PCL-R. E.g. I had a patient who pretty much is a serial killer except instead of killing people he enjoys terrorizing them and even inducing PTSD. He did not score enough to be a psychopath because on that scale you usually have to score enough points on it's impulsivity scale. This particular individual pre-planned everything to a tee that made him even more scary. E.g. He even traveled to other states, used multiple laptops, and used wi-fi in public places to keep his internet stalking activities (where he obtained information about his victims) so no one would be able to track his IP address. The guy was obviously caught (that's how he ended up on my unit), but he led the police on quite a chase of misdirection thanks to his planning and preparation.

So the fact that he pre-planned his terrorizing well eliminate him from being a psychopath? IMHO no. He still showed the core of what most people consider to be psychopathic-lack of empathy, amoral character, enjoyment of causing harm to others masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal. Going by Hare's take, others such as Dexter Morgan (and yes he is a fictional character), would likely also have a buffer to keep them from being considered psychopaths, yet most people I think would agree this guy is one.

Last edited:
Just based on stats from a recent study (in progress), it does seem like the PCL does likely have a much higher chance of not identifying a psychopath than falsely identifying a nonpsychopath (in a detention center population, only ~5% iirc were above the psychopathy threshold per PCL-YV).

A problem with psychopathy is that it's definition slightly changes depending on the source. It's like trying to define perversion. Get 50 people and while everyone will have an opinion on it, the opinions will vary per person.

The PCL-R take on psychopathy differs from other scales. I've seen people that I and several others I know would consider psychopaths but don't score as such on Hare's PCL-R. E.g. I had a patient who pretty much is a serial killer except instead of killing people he enjoys terrorizing them and even inducing PTSD. He did not score enough to be a psychopath because on that scale you usually have to score enough points on it's impulsivity scale. This particular individual pre-planned everything to a tee that made him even more scary. E.g. He even traveled to other states, used multiple laptops, and used wi-fi in public places to keep his internet stalking activities (where he obtained information about his victims) so no one would be able to track his IP address. The guy was obviously caught (that's how he ended up on my unit), but he led the police on quite a chase of misdirection thanks to his planning and preparation.

So the fact that he pre-planned his terrorizing well eliminate him from being a psychopath? IMHO no. He still showed the core of what most people consider to be psychopathic-lack of empathy, amoral character, enjoyment of causing harm to others masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal. Going by Hare's take, others such as Dexter Morgan (and yes he is a fictional character), would likely also have a buffer to keep them from being considered psychopaths, yet most people I think would agree this guy is one.

Well looking at the PCL-R, there are two clear factors here. Factor 1 (aggressive narcissism) and Factor 2 (Impulsivity). ASPD correlates well to factor 2 but not to factor 1. On the other hand, the world is full of douchebags who score quite highly on Factor 1. And these are the guys that make me **** my pants. In anger.

The blending of these two factors pisses me off. It is not logical. More importantly it obscures from sight a significant and far-reaching societal problem. It's the impulsivity of the ASPDer that gets them caught. It's that impulsivity that prevents them from doing more than ever hurting individuals they see face to face. Do not get me wrong. These are not good people, and they themselves do tremendous damage. But the very impulsivity that we have made a cornerstone of their diagnosis is what limits them. They slip up. They make mistakes. They get caught up in the moment. They get sloppy. And, for the most part, they never 'think big'.

But if the ability to manipulate others without conscience--for one's own ends or simply for pleasure--is truly what makes psychopathy such an evil phenomenon, shouldn't those with self-control and the ability to plan, protect themselves, and build an empire of pain be worthy of far more attention? These are the people who rule small or large empires. Those who seek out positions of power, in politics, in institutions, in business. Where their decisions affect many and who may act with an impunity lent to those whose crimes are nebulous. Those who deny a promotion because someone is prettier than they are, or wouldn't sleep with them. Who fire others or make their lives hell, simply because they are better. Who foment plots to thrust aside those who stand in their way, regardless of the damage whispered campaigns and hushed rumors confer upon their victims. Those who destroy others' lives, careers, and joys with no more than a second thought. Without committing a formal crime. Without suffering the sanction of society. These people are found in positions of power, and whereas the stereotypical sociopath may rape, kill, maim, or terrorize 5 or 10 people, they may destroy as many peoples' lives in smaller ways, with a single brush of a pen, a single stroke of a key, a single memo or decision. A sociopath of this kind and their petty manipulative ways takes a toll of hundreds, thousands, or even millions in their career.

What of the savvy sociopath? The person who wraps the mores and legal strictures of society around them like armor, wielding it as a weapon itself? What of those who so carefully plans and structures their behaviors that they hurt a thousand people and yet do no more than give us all a mocking smile and a one-fingered salute as the allegations and accusations fall away like a misting rain upon oilskin, laughing all the way as they bleed society to death by a thousand cuts? Surely these should be the ones we seek, wolves in sheeps clothing that they are.

Last edited:
Staying within the 2 factor model, isn't impulsivity as the defining term of factor two kind of missing out on a lot of what that factor is actually about?

Well looking at the PCL-R, there are two clear factors here. Factor 1 (aggressive narcissism) and Factor 2 (Impulsivity). ASPD correlates well to factor 2 but not to factor 1. On the other hand, the world is full of douchebags who score quite highly on Factor 1. And these are the guys that make me **** my pants. In anger.

The blending of these two factors pisses me off. It is not logical. More importantly it obscures from sight a significant and far-reaching societal problem. It's the impulsivity of the ASPDer that gets them caught. It's that impulsivity that prevents them from doing more than ever hurting individuals they see face to face. Do not get me wrong. These are not good people, and they themselves do tremendous damage. But the very impulsivity that we have made a cornerstone of their diagnosis is what limits them. They slip up. They make mistakes. They get caught up in the moment. They get sloppy. And, for the most part, they never 'think big'.

But if the ability to manipulate others without conscience--for one's own ends or simply for pleasure--is truly what makes psychopathy such an evil phenomenon, shouldn't those with self-control and the ability to plan, protect themselves, and build an empire of pain be worthy of far more attention? These are the people who rule small or large empires. Those who seek out positions of power, in politics, in institutions, in business. Where their decisions affect many and who may act with an impunity lent to those whose crimes are nebulous. Those who deny a promotion because someone is prettier than they are, or wouldn't sleep with them. Who fire others or make their lives hell, simply because they are better. Who foment plots to thrust aside those who stand in their way, regardless of the damage whispered campaigns and hushed rumors confer upon their victims. Those who destroy others' lives, careers, and joys with no more than a second thought. Without committing a formal crime. Without suffering the sanction of society. These people are found in positions of power, and whereas the stereotypical sociopath may rape, kill, maim, or terrorize 5 or 10 people, they may destroy as many peoples' lives in smaller ways, with a single brush of a pen, a single stroke of a key, a single memo or decision. A sociopath of this kind and their petty manipulative ways takes a toll of hundreds, thousands, or even millions in their career.

What of the savvy sociopath? The person who wraps the mores and legal strictures of society around them like armor, wielding it as a weapon itself? What of those who so carefully plans and structures their behaviors that they hurt a thousand people and yet do no more than give us all a mocking smile and a one-fingered salute as the allegations and accusations fall away like a misting rain upon oilskin, laughing all the way as they bleed society to death by a thousand cuts? Surely these should be the ones we seek, wolves in sheeps clothing that they are.

First off, I absolutely love this post--and I don't say this often. Not only do I agree with the points you made so shrewdly, I am charmed by the beautiful poetic language. Secondly, your post makes me think you speak from the heart, almost as if this goes beyond your professional activities and patient contact. You may not be, and in that case you could make a good politician. ;)

I usually associate psychopathy/ASPD with business, politics, but also entertainment (which is a business I guess), and law. Narcissism abounds in prestigious professions such as law and medicine.

The department head and the medical director of the clinic where I was working during my first year of psych grad training, had more than his fare share of narcissistic traits. In fact, he embodied Factor 1. He was tremendously successful. His name was on every research paper that came out of the clinic, not because he contributed significantly but simply because this is how things "worked" there. Should you be lucky enough to get a position, you shut your trap and let him take credit. And we took the blame when things went wrong. Watching him deal with patients, putting on his charming and caring persona--oh and his broken promises--just pushed me over the edge and I quit.

Of course this is nothing compared to compared to those in real positions of power who treat people like chess pieces for their own amusement, status and financial gain. I used to watch "Cops" thinking to myself, you poor bastard, you were not smart enough to fudge the numbers and make millions from your business, or start wars and watch people die while you profit; instead you got caught and publicly humiliated for a bit of marijuana. Not to say that this person did not commit a crime but that the injustice of it all overwhelms me, specially when people who commit most atrocious crimes are often respected and celebrated for their "success" and "resolve."

I fully agree with you that the impulsive ones are the ones who get caught. It's a matter of intelligence and executive functioning. This is where narcissism and psychopathy overlap. Whether a president or a manager in charge of a couple of people, this person is narcissistic enough to only care about himself but aggressive enough that the only time he thinks of others is how to manipulate and abuse them for his own gain.

I do believe that we all have value and this includes the psychopath behind the scenes responsible for killing, torturing, and abusing millions, stealing poor people's hard-earned money, etc. Whether it's primary psychopathy (and more biological in nature) or secondary psychopathy or sociopathy (reaction to environmental factors and upbringing), this person is simply not able to fully understand the hurt he is causing or perhaps feels that he has no other options and that he has to survive in a dog-eat-dog world where exploitation is the norm.

However, given that I believe in human rights and justice, and take the philosophical position that we're all entitled to certain rights, I would love nothing more than to be able to identify these people, limit their power and influence (backed by law, the kind that is enforced swiftly), and have them meet their needs in other ways. This is of course nothing more than a fantasy as too many positions of authority in our world are already filled by aggressively narcissistic people--who are made for these harsh, unstable, and highly competitive environments.

Last edited:
Staying within the 2 factor model, isn't impulsivity as the defining term of factor two kind of missing out on a lot of what that factor is actually about?

The 2nd factor (called the socially deviant lifestyle) does include impulsivity and is not completely defined by impulsivity but a number of factors. They all, in short, boil down to a person who is not too bright, doesn't plan ahead, and has poor anger control. E.g. poor behavioral control, juvenile delinquincy, parasitic behavior, irresponsibility. Impulsivity is a specific factor, but in my post, and I think some people understood this, I meant impulsivity to encompass all of those characteristics. That was something I should not have done because that just opens the room to confusion. (Apologize!).

I have a few people who'd score highly on factor 1 but hardly anything on factor 2 that in effect aren't meeting the psychopath score on the PCL-R, yet these people are exactly the type of people you'd imagine as a psychopath serial killer. Glib, intelligent, cunning, and willing to kill or terrorize others just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Now of course one could argue that I'm just off in my interpretation of psychopathy. I certainly would not argue that I know more about the subject than Hare, but that just goes onto the problem I mentioned. Hare, as respected as he is, is not the DSM. When talking about psychopathy, IMHO, we need an agreed upon definition. The fact that the person doesn't score high on factor 2 just makes this even more scary because the person can get away with their criminal activity for much longer.

Has there been a study on PCL validity in which each of the four factors was assessed by an independent clinician and then looked into the correlations between them? In the sample I'm familiar with, the interfactor + total score correlations were very high (all r > .7, p < .0001). I've wondered though about initial bias/impression affecting the rest of the interview.

The PCL-R has gone through various statistical evaluations and I do think it is a good test. Caveat: I am not yet certified to give it though I'm trying to get one. The criteria is from what I understand, you have to do at least a number (I believe 10) tests under the supervision of someone who is certified or you have to go through the training course.

I'd rather go through the training course but when I last went on the website for it, they had no openings.
http://www.hare.org/training/

There are also other tests besides the PCL-R used to detect psychopathy that use different criteria which brings up the problem I already mentioned.

Slightly tangential, but this is another factor to consider in determining a forensic fellowship program. Several programs I am aware of have no one with PCL-R certification and don't know a thing about the test other than what it's supposed to do. I know of several program directors even at name-brand institutions that have less knowledge on this test (among several other very important tests such as the SIRS) than I do and I still consider myself a rookie in forensic psychiatry that only shows how pathetic the situation is. The scarcity of a forensic psychiatrist leads to a phenomenon where a bad one can still get into a position that is considered highly respectable within the profession. The same scarcity even leads to bad ones getting into respectable positions even in general psychiatry but I am digressing....

In my own fellowship I know of 3 people who are certified and one person who is not but probably knows more about the PCL-R than most people who are certified. A colleague of mine who works about 50 feet from my office in the same building is the go to person whenever I have psychopathy issues come up and she does them for me. She offered to be my supervisor to get certified for it but we have not been able to find 10 people to test it on within a reasonable time frame that works for us....and I'd rather go to the training session.

Last edited:
What's the actual clinical utility of a psychopathy diagnosis, since it isn't in the DSM? Sorry for the continued questions, and thanks for the answer - I love when psychopathy topics come up here, since it's something I actually have some experience with :p

There definitely is a clinical utility if you're working in forensic psychiatry. E.g. if someone you believe is a psychopath, it's going to influence your desire to tell a judge the person is safe for discharge.

I've had a few psychopathic people that did not suffer from an Axis I disorder or mental ******ation of very severe varieties but were found not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI). In almost all states, a person can only be put in the NGRI category if they suffer from a category most people call a "severe mental illness,' E.g. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, severe MR, etc. Several disorders such as alcohol abuse will not fit the legal criteria for NGRI because the person's mind had to have been in a state where the person "could not tell the difference between right and wrong" due to a mental disease or defect," or "not know the nature of quality of the act."

Something that fits NGRI: person x kills person y because person X truly believed person Y was the devil and was going to destroy the world.
Something that doesn't fit NGRI: Person is hypomanic and decides to rape. The hypomanic person has a history of rape even before his first manic episode. Just because the person has bipolar disorder does not allow his act to be excused. He could only be excused if his mental state fit the categories I mentioned.

These people as you may have figured out may not have been appropriate for NGRI, but they were put in that category and sent to the hospital. Once in the hospital, the doctor there can only keep the person there until it appears the person is stable and can enter society.

If someone has psychopathy, you're going to have a hell of a time being able to put them back in society. If they don't have an Axis I, now you're in a position where you got to tell the judge the person shouldn't be in the hospital at all.

I haven't had this problem happen in residency, but it happens in the forensic psychiatric unit from time to time.