Good book on the Kidneys/Renal System?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Could someone recommend a good up to date book which goes over the anatomy and physiology of the kidneys without being super dense? Maybe some of the diseases and such which commonly affect the kidneys and speaks about dialysis? I am writing a paper and hope to pursue nephrology one day so I would like to familiarize myself more with the kidneys if possible.

Thanks for your help!

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

At the level of a pre-med a basic physiology book would be adequate. If you can find a cheap maybe one or two year old First Aid for Step 1 that'll have a lot of physiology and basic nephrology with some diseases in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much! That book looks very interesting. I will take a look at it and then maybe look for some copies of first aid if it does not satisfy my curiosity with regards to diseases. Thanks again! Any more book recommendations about dialysis (PD or HD) or current issues in nephrology today would be great!

Thank you both so much! That book looks very interesting. I will take a look at it and then maybe look for some copies of first aid if it does not satisfy my curiosity with regards to diseases. Thanks again! Any more book recommendations about dialysis (PD or HD) or current issues in nephrology today would be great!

Dialysis doesn't really make sense until you have someone walk you through and you have some level of medical knowledge to expand upon it. Like I can genuinely say I didn't really understand it until I actually looked a machine.

Dialysis doesn't really make sense until you have someone walk you through and you have some level of medical knowledge to expand upon it. Like I can genuinely say I didn't really understand it until I actually looked a machine.
You're probably right, I've made rounds with my nephrologist several times and seen patients being dialyzed but I didn't really know what I was looking at. Thanks again for your help, though!

Additionally, do you think it would be a bad idea to express my interest in nephrology/the kidneys in my personal statement/medical school interviews? I am still not 100% sure if it would be a good idea.

It wouldn't hurt. Although comprehend that being humble and also referencing personal experiences is valid material to make you memorable.

Amazon product

Maybe something like that. I don't actually use textbooks very often at this point, and the ones I have are thick and comprehensive, but that looks pretty nifty and was published in 2019 so it should be pretty well up to date. I don't see much anatomy, but honestly, renal anatomy is pretty straightforward.