Good book on writing PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was searching through amazon for a good book on how to write a personal statement for medical school and there are A LOT out there. Does anyone know of any good ones that could help me get started and present some sample PS?
Thank you :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I was searching through amazon for a good book on how to write a personal statement for medical school and there are A LOT out there. Does anyone know of any good ones that could help me get started and present some sample PS?
Thank you :love:

Hi, I actually suggest you stay away from books that contain sample essays from "successful past applicants," most notably Barron's Essays That Will Get You Into Medical School. These types of books give the false impression that just because a certain student was accepted by a top medical school then that must have meant his/her personal statement was superior in content and style.

Do not try to imitate another person's style because what's most important is having your personal voice come through as you express your own reasons for wanting to pursue medicine. It helps to have people look at your writing to make sure the language is not off-putting but be sure not to allow the opinion of others sway you too far from your main objective. Only you know exactly why you want to study medicine.

Also, always be concise. An admissions official at UCSF School of Medicine once told us (on interview day) that it is to the applicant's benefit to be succinct- to make a statement without dancing around the point with a long anecdote lasting several long paragraphs. Adcom folks have to read literally thousands of essays, so make their jobs easier by telling them straight out what you want them to know (trust me, they'll look at you in a more favorable light).

To second the above:

From the UCSF open house day, they told us that an essay can get you out but probably won't get you in on its own. As long as you tell your story in your own voice and don't do anything wild or too risky, you can't go very wrong. Also, if you application has a weakness, use the essay to explain it.

Members don't see this ad :)
To second the above:

From the UCSF open house day, they told us that an essay can get you out but probably won't get you in on its own. As long as you tell your story in your own voice and don't do anything wild or too risky, you can't go very wrong. Also, if you application has a weakness, use the essay to explain it.
Is it really supposed to be that straightforward? I have been trying to make an eloquent, coherent essay using a fair amount of flowery language. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should it be very simple?

Is it really supposed to be that straightforward? I have been trying to make an eloquent, coherent essay using a fair amount of flowery language. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should it be very simple?

All good writing should be straightforward. Don't be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the personal statement and feel like you have to write like Keats. In this instance, don't allow poetry to compromise your prose.

Wow...this makes it harder :rolleyes: Thanks for your advice!

You responded before I finished editing. :D Well, I was hoping that it would make it easier for you since you can now focus less on flowery language.

You responded before I finished editing. :D Well, I was hoping that it would make it easier for you since you can now focus less on flowery language.
Well...I think the problem I'm having is making it stand out. And I thought that I could accomplish it by using "Keats-style." But, now, I have to find another way! :laugh:

Well...I think the problem I'm having is making it stand out. And I thought that I could accomplish it by using "Keats-style." But, now, I have to find another way! :laugh:

Most medical students would advise that it's more important to let the content rather than the style stand out.

Ok...So is it important to establish a theme? Basically, use the essay to explain why you want to go into medicine and what you have done to learn more about it?

I think the theme should always be: why I will succeed in medical school and be a great doctor. You should back up this argument by talking in detail about your personal experiences and how they have steered you in this direction (this is the hard part because we rarely sit down and take stock of the events in our lives and figure out the bigger meaning behind them. But that's the task of writing a personal statement for medical school! :)).

I think the theme should always be: why I will succeed in medical school and be a great doctor. You should back up this argument by talking in detail about your personal experiences and how they have steered you in this direction (this is the hard part because we rarely sit down and take stock of the events in our lives and figure out the bigger meaning behind them. But that's the task of writing a personal statement for medical school! :)).
Ok I think I can do this. Thank you so much for your help! I was a little nervous before this. :D

I remember how hard it was to get started but you've gotten some great advice on this thread. And if you're still nervous about it, try putting some of it together and sending it to any one of the people that are willing to read PS, including myself. There is a thread somewhere that lists all SDN members who would be happy to take you a look and give you some advice. Good luck!!

I remember how hard it was to get started but you've gotten some great advice on this thread. And if you're still nervous about it, try putting some of it together and sending it to any one of the people that are willing to read PS, including myself. There is a thread somewhere that lists all SDN members who would be happy to take you a look and give you some advice. Good luck!!
Thank you :) I'm going to get started on it as soon as possible...It looks like it's going to be time consuming!