Good Book Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaDoctorFutura

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start traveling a little for interviews and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on any really good books to stock up on?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

there are at least 2 or 3 threads on this. i only know this because i've been asking the same question lately. search for books and you'll find them.

LaDoctorFutura said:
I'm about to start traveling a little for interviews and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on any really good books to stock up on?

Thanks!!!

Yeah, do a search on this. There have been some GREAT discussions, but just off the top of my head :: 1) House of God. 2) Complications 3) Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince (ha ha). 4) The Alchemist 5) Walk on Water

Members don't see this ad :)
complications by gwande is good, and i've heard good things about house of god. of course, my favorite book of all time is the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.

Dick and Jane.

LaDoctorFutura said:

Thanks!!!
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Cadavers by Mary Roach. This book is hilarious, disturbing, and fascinating all at the same time. i've literally laughed out loud quite a few times while reading it. and of course any harry potter book!

gdk said:
complications by gwande is good, and i've heard good things about house of god. of course, my favorite book of all time is the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.

Momentary thread hijack: Have you seen the previews for the new movie?! I'm so excited!!! :clap:

Back on topic:

I just finished the Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and I really liked it. I would also suggest Complications, Stiff (v. easy to read while traveling b/c each chapter kind of stands alone), Wicked, The Time Traveler's Wife, the Alienist, and even though I'm still working on it, Mountains beyond Mountains is very good so far.

In fact, since I got The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down for free anyway, I'd be happy to mail it to anyone (in the continental US) who's interested. First PM gets it.

bpost137 said:
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Cadavers by Mary Roach. This book is hilarious, disturbing, and fascinating all at the same time. i've literally laughed out loud quite a few times while reading it. and of course any harry potter book!

omg, this book is AWESOME. I absolutely loved it, much funnier than you would think.

"House of God" is another great book.

Arsenic810 said:
omg, this book is AWESOME. I absolutely loved it, much funnier than you would think.

"House of God" is another great book.

"Stiff" has been one of my favorite books for this year. Especially funny is the looks I get when I'm reading it in public.

Other good books: Wicked (it's wonderful!), The Kite Runner, The Time Traveler's wife, Nickel and Dimed (look into socioeconomic issues in America), Reading Lolita in Tehran, Middlesex, any book by David Sedaris.

I could go on forever. I LOVE to read and make it a point to read before bed and a little each morning. I miss it now that I'm so busy with this crazy application process.

titoincali said:
"Stiff" has been one of my favorite books for this year. Especially funny is the looks I get when I'm reading it in public.

Other good books: Wicked (it's wonderful!), The Kite Runner, The Time Traveler's wife, Nickel and Dimed (look into socioeconomic issues in America), Reading Lolita in Tehran, Middlesex, any book by David Sedaris.

I could go on forever. I LOVE to read and make it a point to read before bed and a little each morning. I miss it now that I'm so busy with this crazy application process.

I second The Kite Runner and Middlesex. I couldn't put down the Runner until I finished it a day later. Would be great for travel.

I just finished The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and I loved it.

If you like fantasy, Eragon is good despite the really cheesy dragon on the front of it.

Til We Have Faces by CS Lewis is good - a retelling of Cupid and Psyche.

Thread tangent: I am so excited about the new Narnia movie!

I think i'll try Kite Runner after i reread Ender's Game. And i'll try Stiff as well. I always picked to buy Stiff at the bookstore.

I think i'll try Kite Runner after i reread Ender's Game. And i'll try Stiff as well. I always picked to buy Stiff at the bookstore.

I just finished reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and thought it was wonderful.