good books for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david-md

procrastinator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in your opinion what are some good books for the following courses:

anatomy
embryology
microbiology
biochemistry

Members don't see this ad.

anatomy-netter, moore, grant's disector, HY

embryology-HY

microbiology-micro made ridiculously simple

biochemistry- lippincots

start using first aid early - will make boards studying easier at the end of second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anatomy, everyone here swears by NMS Anatomy by April. Dr. April is the professor of anatomy here, and his lectures are almost the entire book verbatim. It's a great book because it cuts out all of the hoopla and gives you what's important in a nice, structured form. Will be awesome to look back on when boards come around.

anatomy Rohen's color atlas
embryology Langman's Embryology
microbiology Clinical Microbiology made rediculously simple.
biochemistry Lippincott's

SarahGM said:
For anatomy, everyone here swears by NMS Anatomy by April. Dr. April is the professor of anatomy here, and his lectures are almost the entire book verbatim. It's a great book because it cuts out all of the hoopla and gives you what's important in a nice, structured form. Will be awesome to look back on when boards come around.

Although I agree that April is terrific for Anatomy at Columbia, it's definitely not for everyone, and in my experience it's far too dense come boards time. I tried it for the first half of the year, found it hard to trudge through, then switched to mini-Moore + Netter annotated w/ notes from class + PreTest, which it worked out much much better.

Just take a look at April before you leap to buy it - the outline format w/ ~nil diagrams can be a little hard to choke down.

SarahGM - welcome to Columbia! :) I hope that the year is starting out wonderfully for you!

anatomy - HY gross anat and netter/rohen
embryo - HY (if anything)
micro - MRS and HY
biochem - lippincott

Anatomy:

Netter
Moore
BRS
HY
Rohen
Playboy/Hustler

Embryo: