Good books on Osteopathic med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recomend some classic books for me to learn more about osteopathic medicine. Please don't list anything really obscure that I won't be able to find. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

"The D.O.s" by Norman Gevitz

Osteopathic Medicine A reformation in progress.

I agree with both suggestions
Also read The Lost Art of Healing by Bernard Lown I used it for my med school essay to describe the bond between the dr patient relationship.

An exerpt on Dr. Lown's philosophy
".. the doctor is taught to focus on the cheif complaint (CC)... unfortunately the chief complaint may not be what bothers the patient most and may have little to do with the underyling problem. I learned this while a student at Johns Hopkins Medical School.... Doctors focus of the CC primarily b/c medical schools do not train students in the art of listening.. fundamentally, the aim is to understand the medical problem as well as the person behind the symptoms.. but also comprehend character, namely 'what makes Sammy run'... my research over three decades has increasingly focused on exploring connections between mind and heart. No doubt what one does is largely the result of who one is..."

In his book he gives over 150 case exmples of what to look for in terms of a diagnosis. A wonderful addition to any library!
:) Diane