good books to read to prep for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good books that may help prepare me for interviews? Maybe books about ethical questions in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

KatieJune said:
Anyone know of any good books that may help prepare me for interviews? Maybe books about ethical questions in medicine?

A good book to borrow or find used somewhere is called "Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach" by Thomas S. Bodenheimer. This doesn't necessarily address ethical issues, but it's a good reference to better understanding of how U.S. Healthcare is structured along with some inherent problems in the system. For ethical issues, do a search online for bioethics or something like that. Interviewers don't always care what side you take, just so that you're taking a side that won't harm or endanger the patient (or yourself). They just want to see that you have a somewhat educated opinion. Good luck! Happy searching!

KatieJune said:

I would suggest taking an ethics philosophy class, that way you kill 2 birds with one stone--you get credits, an you'll probably learn more about bioethics than from general reading

Members don't see this ad :)
university of washington has a good medical ethics webpage with case situations and traditions of ethics decisions that anyone can look at - just google "university of washington school of medicine bioethics"

be honest too - don't say what you think they want to hear, because then they may catch you on it when they question your logic/decision further

:luck:

I visited the website mentioned above and it is informative, interactive, and most importantly brief. I've been looking at a few of the problems a week and actually writing notes down about what I think and then comparing my answers to the suggested answers - great way to see how you think about issues you may have not thought out before.

If you look up "health care ethics," on, say, Amazon, or your library, there are several philosophy-based but very accessible textbooks/anthologies dedicated to health care issues.

I recommend the Kaiser Foundation web site with health stats for every state; enables you to make intelligent conversation about specific issues in the state you are visiting (heart disease? smoking? HIV? low birth weight? lack of insurance coverage?)

it's easy to use and I think it's really interesting

http://www.statehealthfacts.kff.org/cgi-bin/healthfacts.cgi?

definitely do a couple of scenarios from the UW ethics site to get your brain into ethics mode

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a great site!! Everyone should check it out.