Good books to read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you about to embark on the application process, here are some books that I would recommend reading. They will help you with your secondaries and during your interviews (heck, maybe even with your PS). I know I benefited from reading them. Order them used from Amazon and they should all run you less than $20.

My favorite:
A Piece of My Mind: A New Collection of Essays from JAMA, The Journal of the American Medical Association (ISBN 1579470823)

Some other good ones:
Mama Might Be Better Off Dead: The Failure of Health Care in Urban America (ISBN 0226001393)

Sociology of Health and Illness: Critical Perspectives
(ISBN 0312112297)

Social Transformation of American Medicine (ISBN 0465079350)

As Sick As It Gets: The Shocking Reality of America's Healthcare, A Diagnosis and Treatment Plan (ISBN 0967235782)

Understanding Health Policy (ISBN 0071378154)

Also, here is a great link to see what the major political issues are:

www.publicagenda.org (go to the issue guide on this site)

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the middle of reading the book titled The Intern Blues by Robert Marion, M.D. when I went on my interviews. I mentioned that I liked to read. As if on cue (and in a possible attempt to test my credibility), my interviewer immediately asked me what the last book I read was. I think he was testing me to see if I flinched. :cool: I sheepishly admitted I was in the middle of The Intern Blues. :oops: He held up his hand to stop me. Got up. Went over to his shelf. And pulled out his copy. From that point on, things were a bit more relaxed. This is an excellent book, by the way.