Good career choice in healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been looking at careers and shadowing many different ones. General consensus is that no one is happy and everyone has the grass is greener syndrome. As far as career choice goes, which career would you recommend to someone and why? Which career is a safe bet considering job opportunities, debt to income ratio, etc.. Which career has a bright future and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that everyone should do what he likes. Dade with a big salary and good conditions in a private clinic, you will be unhappy if you do not like what you do. You will not be the best in a business that you do not like. You will hate people, work and eventually you will understand that you committed a mistake.

I believe that everyone should do what he likes. Dade with a big salary and good conditions in a private clinic, you will be unhappy if you do not like what you do. You will not be the best in a business that you do not like. You will hate people, work and eventually you will understand that you committed a mistake.

Absolutely. Do the work you love - and you'll find that you may not even love 20-50% of the job still.

Debt-to-income ratio, I'd recommend being a nurse. But many people would be miserable as a nurse, so asking what career to generically recommend someone is like asking what flavor of ice cream is best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend being a nurse. But many people would be miserable as a nurse, so asking what career to generically recommend someone is like asking what flavor of ice cream is best.

Nursing is a horribly abusive job at the moment and has the prospects of getting even worse in the future. I would look into jobs with minimal patient contact. Radiology techs have a good job, make more money than RNs in some places (my base was 25/hr, there's was 27/hr i think). They also have the ability to cert and go do MRI, CT, Nuclear med.

Choose a career that you are interested in. If you go where others are going, it is of no good.

If you're already interested in healthcare and have good grades, it would be beneficial to you to start volunteering/working/shadowing in clinical settings. It's the best way to figure out if the career you were interested in would be something you could actually see yourself doing. A few of my friends have done this and realized that although they love learning about science, a career in healthcare was not for them. So get experience and start observing. Good luck :)