Good chance of getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predocmom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a non-traditional applicant starting pre-reqs this Sept.
After reading more posts in the forum, my confidence of getting in a med school is in doubt because my cGPA was not great - 3.15. Some people suggests DO school in some posts, but I prefer MD school if possible...
I would appreciate any advice and comment. Here is my info:

Undergrad cGPA: 3.15 (biz major)
Undergrad SGPA: 3.67 (two biology classes, excl geology and psy)
Grad GPA: 3.67 (MIS)

Long story short: My job and financial situation did not allow me to get a sci-related master, or take classes simply to improve GPA. Then, I decided to start a family first rather than med school. Years later, I am now married with a child. I am older but I feel great, and I am more ready to tackle cost and rigors of med school.

What are my chances? Assuming I get all the shadowing and LOR ready, even if I get all A's in my pre-reqs, I will only have a undergrad cGPA of 3.29. Since I had only a biz major and little science classes in undergrad, will Adcomm look at my science GPA from pre-reqs more? What kind of MCAT scores do I need to 'balance out' my low undergrad GPA?

I am in NY Tri-State, and I need to be close to Manhattan for spouse's job. My first choices are Stony-Brooke, Downstate and if needed, UMDNJ. Private med schools are in second choices, but then I don't know if I can even get into any of them due to my GPA...

Appreciate any advise, especially those familiar with NY, and nearby state med schools.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am in NY Tri-State, and I need to be close to Manhattan for spouse's job. My first choices are Stony-Brooke, Downstate and if needed, UMDNJ. Private med schools are in second choices, but then I don't know if I can even get into any of them due to my GPA......

With a lower GPA you probably hurt yourself if you cannot be flexible in terms of geography or osteo. Odds of getting into A med school with a string of good grades from here on out and a high MCAT are not horrible but the more limitations you put on it, the worse the odds. If you have to do MD in NYC, I'd say you are setting yourself up for a longshot with your GPA. People with top notch stats often have to apply wider than this. sorry.

A formal post-bacc with a linkage to an area med school would seem like a logical option for you in terms of getting the pre-reqs in line. I don't know if there is one in NY, or linked to an area medical school but perhaps someone else could comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
A formal post-bacc with a linkage to an area med school would seem like a logical option for you in terms of getting the pre-reqs in line. I don't know if there is one in NY, or linked to an area medical school but perhaps someone else could comment.

People like to float this a lot on SDN, and if you can get them it's great, but honestly, the programs with linkage are often as hard to get into as med schools. You basically need to already have the stellar GPA but none of the prereqs. They cherry pick the A students who never took the sciences because they know the GPA is already going to be in the ballpark, and you have a good track record for success. And success is what they want because many advertise phenomenal 95%+ placement statistics. So while it may be "logical" for the applicant, it's not "logical" for these programs, who, given the size of the applicant pool, can always do better than a 3.1. (And many would disqualify the OP for already having taken bio to boot). So no, with a 3.1, you probably have to be happy if you get any formal program, or an open enrollment one at a good place, and not get greedy about linkage. If you are a non-sci major with a 3.8 GPA from a good 4 year university, who never took the sciences, then you can be more picky about the linkage options. But I don't see the linkage path as likely here.

Thanks for the extra info. I didn't know they were so picky about GPA and not having taken ANY pre-req classes at all.

I am a little surprised that people who have undergrad cGPA in the 2's (and posted threads) have gotten much more encouraging comments.
I am taking classes in Queens College, CUNY. They do have a pre-health dept. that offers guidance and writes LOR. Is that bad? Is there anything else I can do?

I am a little surprised that people who have undergrad cGPA in the 2's (and posted threads) have gotten much more encouraging comments.
You've told us you can't leave Manhattan, so we can't offer the same kind of encouragement to you that we'd offer to a single kid who can move cross country and accumulate bazillions in debt. If you're able to spend $60k for a year in Georgetown's SMP, then by all means a person with your stats is in great shape to get into an MD school (maybe Downstate or Stony Brook, but don't assume it).

If you look for it, you'll see that along with all the puppies & bunnies & sunshine that 2.x's get here, there are people offering this standard advice: if there's anything else you could do instead of medicine, and live with yourself, for the love of all that's holy do the other thing.
I am taking classes in Queens College, CUNY. They do have a pre-health dept. that offers guidance and writes LOR. Is that bad? Is there anything else I can do?
That's fine. My advice about premed advisers is that people who get paid to do that job are typically the least qualified to offer quality information. So I suggest that whatever they tell you, come verify it on SDN. And then make sure to get 2nd and 3rd opinions about what you hear on SDN. So, you know, trust nobody.

Let me catch you up on being a NY applicant, from the perspective of stats.

There are only two other states that have more med school applicants as of '08:
CA: 4937
TX: 3422
NY: 2924
for comparison, IN: 706

However, NY has the most total MD seats per year:
NY: 1778 (603 are public)
TX: 1417 (all subsidized thus public)
PA: 1197 (532 public)
for comparison, IN: 308 (all public)

(See the AAMC facts pages, and the MSAR, for all the data you can chew.)

There's no substantial difference between taking on a NJ public school and taking on a non-top-tier NY private school, from an admissions standpoint or a financial standpoint. NJ is under no obligation to love you.

There's a new MD school opening up in 2011 on LI (Hofstra). I don't have any scoop on whether this school will be super competitive or not.

With your stats, and without the option of doing a traditional SMP (such as Georgetown, Boston, Cincinnati, Drexel, et al), and without the option of moving, and without going DO, I think you need to get yourself in competitive range for all the NY schools. If that's too hard, then you need to be considering the Albanys and NYMCs and Buffalos and NYCOMs.

Specifically, I'd do this to get competitive:
1. Get a 2nd bachelors in a hard science such as micro or immuno, and get at least a 3.7.
2. Spend a year in the prep-med program at Mt. Sinai, or any similar program offered in Manhattan.
3. Absolutely freaking kill the MCAT.
4. Make damned sure there's not a red flag anywhere on my app.

After that, I'd apply to Columbia/NYU/etc without shame.

Best of luck to you.

Hi,

Undergrad cGPA: 3.15 (biz major)
Undergrad SGPA: 3.67 (two biology classes, excl geology and psy)
Grad GPA: 3.67 (MIS)

Just some FYI...psychology is not considered a science class.

UMDNJ also has a highly reputable DO school.

If you open yourself up to DO schools you can widen the net for NY. As mentioned NYCOM on Long Island which has been around a long time with many med students matching into allopathic residencies all over NY, incl Manhattan. There is also Tourocom-NY.

You can also raise your GPA due to grade replacement, upping your GPA for DO consideration.

You need to ask yourself what is your goal? Either option will get you the point of being a doctor.

Best of luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:

You've told us you can't leave Manhattan, so we can't offer the same kind of encouragement to you that we'd offer to a single kid who can move cross country and accumulate bazillions in debt. If you're able to spend $60k for a year in Georgetown's SMP, then by all means a person with your stats is in great shape to get into an MD school (maybe Downstate or Stony Brook, but don't assume it).

If you look for it, you'll see that along with all the puppies & bunnies & sunshine that 2.x's get here, there are people offering this standard advice: if there's anything else you could do instead of medicine, and live with yourself, for the love of all that's holy do the other thing.

That's fine. My advice about premed advisers is that people who get paid to do that job are typically the least qualified to offer quality information. So I suggest that whatever they tell you, come verify it on SDN. And then make sure to get 2nd and 3rd opinions about what you hear on SDN. So, you know, trust nobody.

Let me catch you up on being a NY applicant, from the perspective of stats.

There are only two other states that have more med school applicants as of '08:
CA: 4937
TX: 3422
NY: 2924
for comparison, IN: 706

However, NY has the most total MD seats per year:
NY: 1778 (603 are public)
TX: 1417 (all subsidized thus public)
PA: 1197 (532 public)
for comparison, IN: 308 (all public)

(See the AAMC facts pages, and the MSAR, for all the data you can chew.)

There's no substantial difference between taking on a NJ public school and taking on a non-top-tier NY private school, from an admissions standpoint or a financial standpoint. NJ is under no obligation to love you.

There's a new MD school opening up in 2011 on LI (Hofstra). I don't have any scoop on whether this school will be super competitive or not.

With your stats, and without the option of doing a traditional SMP (such as Georgetown, Boston, Cincinnati, Drexel, et al), and without the option of moving, and without going DO, I think you need to get yourself in competitive range for all the NY schools. If that's too hard, then you need to be considering the Albanys and NYMCs and Buffalos and NYCOMs.

Specifically, I'd do this to get competitive:
1. Get a 2nd bachelors in a hard science such as micro or immuno, and get at least a 3.7.
2. Spend a year in the prep-med program at Mt. Sinai, or any similar program offered in Manhattan.
3. Absolutely freaking kill the MCAT.
4. Make damned sure there's not a red flag anywhere on my app.

After that, I'd apply to Columbia/NYU/etc without shame.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for being brutally honest, DrMidlife. I will look into the prep-med program and 2nd bachelor.