Good Content in an Update Letter/Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there :)

I was wondering what you guys think makes a good update letter for medical schools. Here's what I have/some questions:

- My research won't get published until the summer (too late). Should I have my PI write another "support" letter and say that it will get published?

- I'm applying to a research fellowship abroad too but I won't know if my proposal will be accepted until like March (also late). How should I go about updating them about this?

- Should I also write about new community service experiences I've had?

- Explain reasons why a particular medical school is my top choice.

What are your ideas? I hope this post helps other people wondering the same things. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

- My research won't get published until the summer (too late). Should I have my PI write another "support" letter and say that it will get published?
No, since your PI doesn't decide if you get published. The journal you submit to does.

I'm applying to a research fellowship abroad too but I won't know if my proposal will be accepted until like March (also late). How should I go about updating them about this?
You can't really. I can apply to a job opening for the POTUS but that doesn't mean I'm likely to get it or legitimately qualified.

Should I also write about new community service experiences I've had?
If you have added significant hours to it, then maybe. But alone, this is not a significant update.

Explain reasons why a particular medical school is my top choice.
Again, you could briefly touch on this if it was included with a significant update, but it does not seem you have that. Med schools seem to only be interested in updates that are significant accomplishments (publication accepted, semester of grades, award won, etc.). If you have one of those, then you can add on other things (such as new activities completed).

- Should my PI write a letter that says our manuscript is complete at least?
- For the fellowship abroad, can I explain my idea to show them I'm "forward thinking" and how my idea can impact a lot of people in developing countries? Can I get some kind of letter of support from a professor who has said they would help me with implementing this idea?

Thank you so much for responding to each question! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there :)

I was wondering what you guys think makes a good update letter for medical schools. Here's what I have/some questions:

- I'm applying to a research fellowship abroad too but I won't know if my proposal will be accepted until like March (also late). How should I go about updating them about this?

- Should I also write about new community service experiences I've had?

- Explain reasons why a particular medical school is my top choice.

What are your ideas? I hope this post helps other people wondering the same things. Thanks so much!
No, because until you get the notice that it's accepted, it's still "submitted", which is worthless. Being "in press" is awroth an update.

Applying for something is also worthless for an update. Significant accomplishments are what counts.

AND these only apply for schools that welcome updates!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goro! Thank you for your response. For the fellowship abroad, can I explain my idea to show them I'm "forward thinking" and how my idea can impact a lot of people in developing countries? Can I get some kind of letter of support from a professor who has said they would help me with implementing this idea?

Hi Goro! Thank you for your response. For the fellowship abroad, can I explain my idea to show them I'm "forward thinking" and how my idea can impact a lot of people in developing countries? Can I get some kind of letter of support from a professor who has said they would help me with implementing this idea?

Also a no. If you haven't been awarded the fellowship, you can't try to convince them that you will be.

Reactions: 2 users
No. This will make no impression. Words are easy; doing is harder.

Reactions: 1 user
Warnings:

1) you cannot have any professor or other third party write any sort of update that they or you send directly to a school. Any school accepting that would be in violation of AMCAS rules for the schools. If you were to foward s letter from a third technically would be a violation could trigger a violation

2) if you have a letter sent via formal AMCAS LOR process, you are implying to the school that you want your application opened up, sent back to evaluation thus losing your queue spot, and then put back in at the bottom of the pile for consideration

I was recently promoted to a managerial position in the non profit I work at. Would this be a worthwhile update? I was considering having my boss send a letter of rec on my behalf but from what you've stated above this might not be a good idea.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk