Good courses for postbac science gpa enhancement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taplin302

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just graduated last may and I am looking at taking between 10 and 12 credits more this fall to improve my science gpa a bit before I apply next cycle. I am taking genetics right now.

I had assumed that 'hard' biology science courses would be best for science gpa improvment since they show adcoms that you can handle that kind of course load. However, I was just looking at how AACOMAS classifies courses by subject http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomasHelpPages/instructions/academic-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html and was wondering, would it be equally good to take a gerontology class or a pharmacy class that isn't technically 'hard' science if all of these subjects are classified as "other science" and technically factor into the science gpa? Or is it better to stick with 'hard' science courses? If the advice is to take what I am interested in I might choose some of these kinds of classes to boost my gpa in addition to advanced cell biology, microbio, pathophys, etc. But, at the end of the day I want to do what will most improve my application. Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gerontology yes, Pharmacy or pharmacology, no.

What classes should one take in a DIY post-bac??? Things that mimic a medical school curriculum!

Anatomy
Physiology
Histology
Biostats
Cell Bio
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Biochem
Med Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology

Reactions: 1 users

What classes should one take in a DIY post-bac??? Things that mimic a medical school curriculum!

Anatomy
Physiology
Histology
Biostats
Cell Bio
Biochem
Med Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Pathology
this is amazingly helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Anatomy
Physiology
Histology
Biostats
Cell Bio
Biochem
Med Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Pathology

These classes look pretty good.

Not sure how med schools look at A&P... but funny story

My pre-med adviser at my undergraduate institution advised me "not to take" Anatomy/Physiology for a DIY PB, and stated "it could affect whether I obtain a letter of rec from the pre-med committee or not". He believed that A&P "wasn't considered an upper-level biology course", due to not requiring any biology pre-requisites.

My pre-med adviser at my undergraduate institution advised me "not to take" Anatomy/Physiology for a DIY PB, and stated "it could affect whether I obtain a letter of rec from the pre-med committee or not". He believed that A&P "wasn't considered an upper-level biology course", due to not requiring any biology pre-requisites.
Data point # 303,954,734,993,736 that pre-med advisors are *****s.

Reactions: 3 users

I believe @Goro is referring to the stand alone version of Anatomy and the stand alone version of Physiology for biology, pre-medical/pre-dental students.

A&P is a lower division course. It's still included in sGPA but I'd recommend taking UD courses.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe @Goro is referring to the stand alone version of Anatomy and the stand alone version of Physiology for biology, pre-medical/pre-dental students.

A&P is a lower division course. It's still included in sGPA but I'd recommend taking UD courses.

Ahh gotcha - I wish I had known that prior to taking A&P I and II. :(

Anatomy
Physiology
Histology
Biostats
Cell Bio
Biochem
Med Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Pathology
I have the opportunity to take microbio starting next january. One option is listed as "MICR 1113: Intro to Microbiology" and one as "MICR 3606: Advanced Micro for Health Professions". Both are three credits. The 1113 offering is independent study, go at your own pace, so I could finish it quickly over January term and free myself up for another, different class for spring 2018. Should I go with the advanced class because it comes off as more rigorous or go for quantity of classes by taking the intro class?

I have the opportunity to take microbio starting next january. One option is listed as "MICR 1113: Intro to Microbiology" and one as "MICR 3606: Advanced Micro for Health Professions". Both are three credits. The 1113 offering is independent study, go at your own pace, so I could finish it quickly over January term and free myself up for another, different class for spring 2018. Should I go with the advanced class because it comes off as more rigorous or go for quantity of classes by taking the intro class?
Doesn't matter. Just do well.

Doesn't matter. Just do well.
So how does this plan look for next semester, just before I apply in June:

3 cred Micr 1113 Intro to Microbiology @University
3 cred Micr 3420 Immune System in Health/Disease (an Immunology course) @University
4 cred Biol 2224 Anatomy w/Lab @community college (only thing that works with my work schedule)

for a total of ten credits? I have tried to balance CC courses with university courses. After this semester I will have finished genetics, cell bio, and a 2 credit pathophysiology course. I want to finish post-bacc-ing strong before I send in my application.