Good DO FP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows of any good DO or dual accredited family programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it depends on what part of the country you want to be in.

I was recently at St. Barnabas in the Bronx (AOA program) and thought their FP program looked pretty good, from what I could tell (I was on Medicine). There is a large, poor, urban population and they see it all. Very busy ER with trauma, very busy clinic. Good didactics and good attendings.

I was also recently in Corpus Christi for surgery and got a good look at their AOA prpgram. It's very heavy on medicine and OP clinic, but the formal didactics are good. Patient population isn't terribly varied, but residents have a lot of autonomy. The attendings are weak from what I heard from other students.

Seems to me like the best thing to do is go visit. Whether a program is "good" or not is extremely subjective.

Thanks for your help. I am a 3rd year right now and just trying to do some research. Most of the subjective feedback (i.e. scutwork.com) is only on allopathic programs and I just wanted some opinions since most of the osteopathic programs are not talked about as much. So I guess I just really need names of programs so that I can look them up.

Thanks for your help.

Fozzy40

Members don't see this ad :)
fozzy40 said:
I have a friend at Genesys program, in Michigan, and i have visited there, and they have a really nice program.
alot of DO residencies in that hospital too, and state of the art hospital.

fozzy40 said:

If you're looking for a great dual accredited Family program, consider St. Vincent's in Jacksonville, FL.

There is also Jamaica Hospital in Jamaica NY. It has affiliations with Mount Sinai School of Medicine and NYCOM.

Check it out: www.famprac.org

Are there any 4th years on the interview trail who can speak to the quality of the AOA FP programs to which they are applying? Are there any AOA accredited FP programs that you could call the D.O. POWERHOUSE for Family Medicine? I know that there are a number of good programs, and some marginal or even crummy ones, but are there any that stand out head and shoulders above the rest.
Thanks

Neurodropout said:
Are there any 4th years on the interview trail who can speak to the quality of the AOA FP programs to which they are applying? Are there any AOA accredited FP programs that you could call the D.O. POWERHOUSE for Family Medicine? I know that there are a number of good programs, and some marginal or even crummy ones, but are there any that stand out head and shoulders above the rest.
Thanks

I did a ton of research including visiting many programs in my 2nd and 3rd year, before ultimately deciding on emergency medicine instead. It had always been my true love, and I was somewhat blinded by my NHSC obligation...long story....fortunately I paid them back A LOT of money, fines, penalties, and got out of the obligation. Best decision I ever made I believe, but for another thread!

The best FP programs in the country are too many too list, and the best are going dually accredited because they want a larger applicant pool to recruit from. Take Spartanburg, SC, Washington, Pa, and John Peter Smith in Fort Worth. Washington gives you a free house by the way, and I found their program to be one of the best around with incredible residents and faculty. I was set on Washington until I decided to do EM last year.

DO only programs are a dying breed and they know it. The future of DO graduate medical education is dual accreditation.