Feb 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I plan to apply this upcoming application cycle 2015-2016 for DO programs with a few MD

around 85 hours ED volunteering, i stopped however because i wasnt really doing much tbh, extremely boring as well. i still have the option of continuing it but idk, i just started volunteering as an emt 1 shift a week (6 hours). will prob have 200+ hours before i application. should i juggle both?

30 hours shadowing a ED DO, got a letter from him. however i parted ways as soon as the semester started. took me forever to find someone willing to let me shadow. is this enough or should i look for someone else?

research, however nothing big worked in various labs, nothing too in depth, however im starting in a new research lab soon, plan to stay in this lab until i graduate. 3-4 semesters.

biology tutor 3 semesters.

working with high school student, teaching them lab skills, a program with my uni. 2 semesters of that around 30 hours.

president and vice president of two clubs on campus.

I feel as these ECs are not enough, i dont have any publications, i havnt volunteered for 500+ hours like i see on many posts. along with the questions i have asked, which categories can i improve on to give me best chance at med school?

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You don't need publications for do. You also don't say what your stats are either which will make a big difference.

May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your ecs are not bad, but remember it's quality not quantity. You can always try to get more hours of shadowing, maybe try shadowing other physicians so gain a better understanding of other specialties. Research is good but try to get involved more other then simple pcr or isolating plasmids. Try to possibly gain your own project and maybe you can get second author or even first author for posters or a paper. It sounds like you enjoy tutoring so you should continue along with that. And your emt positron should also be a huge plus because it will give you clinical experience...good luck...btw I am also just a pre med so take my advice lightly

OP
W
Feb 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't need publications for do. You also don't say what your stats are either which will make a big difference.
i didnt want to make this into a whats are my chances thread,
will take mcat late may early june. cant take it earlier unfortunately.

gpa 3.8-3.9 dont know where ill end up after two semesters. but i attend a small state school, not ranked... so i dont think med schools will look at that and say wow..

OP
W
Feb 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Your ecs are not bad, but remember it's quality not quantity. You can always try to get more hours of shadowing, maybe try shadowing other physicians so gain a better understanding of other specialties. Research is good but try to get involved more other then simple pcr or isolating plasmids. Try to possibly gain your own project and maybe you can get second author or even first author for posters or a paper. It sounds like you enjoy tutoring so you should continue along with that. And your emt positron should also be a huge plus because it will give you clinical experience...good luck...btw I am also just a pre med so take my advice lightly
its the ED volunteer question...