Good Enough Step 2 Score?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by emerson, Nov 28, 2002.

1. emerson

emerson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is Step 1 or Step 2 more important for IM residency programs? I got a very mediocre score on Step 1 (barely passed) but did better on Step 2 (229/89). Will this improvement be good enough to help me Match at the more competitive programs (even though I'm not in the upper 90s)? What scores have helped you secure interviews or matches at "top-tier" (Harvard, Mayo, Johns Hopkins) medicine programs? How about "middle-tier"? Has anyone been in the same situation?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Seanmd

Seanmd Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

That is a great score. Congratulations!

I hear that IM programs tend to focus on Step 2 scores as it is more clinically based.

The more competitive programs (e.g. ENT, neurosurgery) tend to focus on Step 1 scores as they are early match and most these applicants have not taken Step 2 yet.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your Step 1 score?

What books did you use for Step 2, Emerson?

4. emerson

emerson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Seanmd,
    My Step 1 score was 184 (pretty horrible). For Step 2, I used the NMS question book, Kaplan's QBank, Advanced Life Support, Blueprints questions, and I also skimmed over Crush the Boards.
    Thanks for your insight about Step 1 vs. Step 2. Good luck with studying!
    Emerson

5. JANCHEL

JANCHEL Junior Member

How long did you study for step 2, emerson? I'm in a pretty similar position. Very mediocre step 1 scores and I need to do much better on step 2.
    Thanks

6. emerson

emerson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Janchel,
    I studied for about 4 weeks, which allowed me about 2-3 weeks to get through the material and another week or so for review.
    Just curious, to all those viewing this post, has anyone been in a similar situation (with a similar Step 2 score) and where have you been invited to interview at or what program did you end up matching at?
    Just wondering what the average Step 2 score is at Top-Tier medicine programs? Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks