Good first OS Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCl is Salt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be entering clinic this summer and wanted to do an oral surgery externship right before I enter. I am looking for programs that are mainly observational externships as my first one. Any that come to mind? I would not want to do a very hands on one due to the lack of clinical experience at this point. My school does not have a OS program.

Thank you,

Salt

Members don't see this ad.

Banner (University of Arizona) is a good observational externship. They do a lot in the OR.

Members don't see this ad :)
What areas of the country are you interested in? I would be real with yourself because I think it's important to extern where you want to go. Also, it's not a bad idea to go to a more "intense" one first. It'll make your other ones seem manageable.

The majority I've been on are mostly observation only. (besides suctioning or retracting). I know Cook and Parkland let their externs work. But others like Boston Uni, Vanderbilt, UIC, Loyola are generally hand off

Reactions: 1 users
Hands on externships in the south include LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, Alabama, Parkland, Jacksonville. Everywhere in the northeast is hands off. West coast - USC is hands on. Midwest -Cook county is hands on. Most places in the country are observation only. If you have any in mind, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Hands on externships in the south include LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, Alabama, Parkland, Jacksonville. Everywhere in the northeast is hands off. West coast - USC is hands on. Midwest -Cook county is hands on. Most places in the country are observation only. If you have any in mind, feel free to ask.
How about VCU?

How about VCU?
VCU is somewhat hands on. I sewed up a few lacs, and got my hands a little dirty in the OR. You don’t get to do much, if anything, in the clinic. It was just an ok externship. Definitely nothing mind blowing.

Loma Linda, Emory, UOP have hands-on externships. BU will keep you mostly in the OR (lots of ortho, trauma, H&N)

I externed at USC, Parkland, LSU-NO, and UAB. I highly recommend any and all of them.

Reactions: 1 users

Any idea if Christiana or Oklahoma are just observing? I'm looking for some good "observerships only" before hitting clinic this year. Also curious about Arizona, Medstar, and Augusta if anyone has externed there.

how is the overall externship experience? Do you take call whenever you want or is it an everyday thing? Whats the best way to make a good impression in terms of this?