Jun 12, 2018
Hello,

I will be entering clinic this summer and wanted to do an oral surgery externship right before I enter. I am looking for programs that are mainly observational externships as my first one. Any that come to mind? I would not want to do a very hands on one due to the lack of clinical experience at this point. My school does not have a OS program.

Thank you,

Salt

odontoblaster

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Banner (University of Arizona) is a good observational externship. They do a lot in the OR.

Masterus

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2011
Status
What areas of the country are you interested in? I would be real with yourself because I think it's important to extern where you want to go. Also, it's not a bad idea to go to a more "intense" one first. It'll make your other ones seem manageable.

Mar 4, 2018
Status
Dental Student
The majority I've been on are mostly observation only. (besides suctioning or retracting). I know Cook and Parkland let their externs work. But others like Boston Uni, Vanderbilt, UIC, Loyola are generally hand off

Masterus

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2011
Status
Hands on externships in the south include LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, Alabama, Parkland, Jacksonville. Everywhere in the northeast is hands off. West coast - USC is hands on. Midwest -Cook county is hands on. Most places in the country are observation only. If you have any in mind, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Fill Werrell

resiliens

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2016
Hands on externships in the south include LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, Alabama, Parkland, Jacksonville. Everywhere in the northeast is hands off. West coast - USC is hands on. Midwest -Cook county is hands on. Most places in the country are observation only. If you have any in mind, feel free to ask.
How about VCU?

Racquetball3r

5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2013
Status
Dental Student
How about VCU?
VCU is somewhat hands on. I sewed up a few lacs, and got my hands a little dirty in the OR. You don’t get to do much, if anything, in the clinic. It was just an ok externship. Definitely nothing mind blowing.

bluedevil17

5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Loma Linda, Emory, UOP have hands-on externships. BU will keep you mostly in the OR (lots of ortho, trauma, H&N)