Good gift ideas?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by texasgal1112, Nov 23, 2002.

1. texasgal1112

texasgal1112 Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a good friend who is just about to start optho residency next year. Is there a good, but semi cheap gift that you would have appreciated as a resident?
    Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jon_jon

jon_jon Member

You may consider the "Wills Eye Manual" as a gift which is a nice quick reference book and doesn't cost that much.

Some ophthalmology programs provide it for the residents so you might want to check that out first.

4. Phaco

Phaco Junior Member

Will's Eye Manual is a good gift. All residents in my program used it extensively.
    However, before plunking down the $$ for it, try to find Will's eye version for PDA. I find it easier to carry around. The drawback is it doesn't diagrams but there aren't that many in the paper version anyway. I don't even lug the Will's Eye around anymore (the Palm is so much smaller/ligher).
    Other things to consider is a lens set. More expensive but will be appreciated.

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    The Will's Eye on the Palm is great. I have it and use it all the time.

A lens set will put you back about $230 for a 90D and 20D lens.

I think a nice pen is always appreciated. I have two nice pens from graduation that I use all the time. You should also get the pen engraved with his/her name.

6. texasgal1112

texasgal1112 Member

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all your ideas! I am definitely going to consider getting the Wills Eye Manual for PDA or an engraved pen for my friend!
    :D