Good gift ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasgal1112

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a good friend who is just about to start optho residency next year. Is there a good, but semi cheap gift that you would have appreciated as a resident?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You may consider the "Wills Eye Manual" as a gift which is a nice quick reference book and doesn't cost that much.

Some ophthalmology programs provide it for the residents so you might want to check that out first.

Will's Eye Manual is a good gift. All residents in my program used it extensively.
However, before plunking down the $$ for it, try to find Will's eye version for PDA. I find it easier to carry around. The drawback is it doesn't diagrams but there aren't that many in the paper version anyway. I don't even lug the Will's Eye around anymore (the Palm is so much smaller/ligher).
Other things to consider is a lens set. More expensive but will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Phaco
Will's Eye Manual is a good gift. All residents in my program used it extensively.
However, before plunking down the $$ for it, try to find Will's eye version for PDA. I find it easier to carry around. The drawback is it doesn't diagrams but there aren't that many in the paper version anyway. I don't even lug the Will's Eye around anymore (the Palm is so much smaller/ligher).
Other things to consider is a lens set. More expensive but will be appreciated.

The Will's Eye on the Palm is great. I have it and use it all the time.

A lens set will put you back about $230 for a 90D and 20D lens.

I think a nice pen is always appreciated. I have two nice pens from graduation that I use all the time. You should also get the pen engraved with his/her name.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your ideas! I am definitely going to consider getting the Wills Eye Manual for PDA or an engraved pen for my friend!
:D