Good GPA but 2 F's from bad semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idomyownstunts1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a GPA of 3.38 and Science GPA of 3.53. However one of semester i messed up hardcore...!!! It was very shameful i was caught up in many things and i ended getting 2 F's and . My DAT score is a 24. Will those F's hurt my chances or because of my overall GPA do I still have a good shot. Any suggestions, information, or comment will be of great use to me since I have one more semester before i apply id like to make the best of it.

Thank You,

Members don't see this ad.

what courses were those F's in?
prereqs? or like a humanities course?
and did you retake the course?

No they weren't prereqs
it was a sociology and a foreign language

the sociology i retook and thats why i have the F, i did worse my second time...dont ask...

I retook the foreign language and received an A

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools may want an honest explanation for that semester. Did you end up on probation?

No because the previous 2 semesters I had done good so my overall GPA was still alright...after that i had a 3.6 and 4.0.

They definitely will want an explanation. You may have saved yourself from answering yes to the academic disciplinary action in the application but they will want an honest explanation when you get interviewed. An F is an F regardless of what subject it is.

so I will still a chance to get interviews eventhough I had those 2 horrible??

so I will still a chance to get interviews eventhough I had those 2 horrible??

You should still have a chance but they will factor in those grades when deciding to call you for an interview.

Im not really sure but im sure that my AADSAS GPA is close to that anyway

Unlike most universities, AADSAS does not have grade forgiveness policy. So since you retook the course the F will be factored into your GPA as well.

I also have a F in a class before so I had to retake it, and it really hurt my AADSAS GPA.

Just my 2 cents.

Should i retake that sociology class for a third time and try to get an A?
or should i Just leave it?

idomyownstunts

what they do is factor in both grades, for instance, say you took a class twice first time you got an F and the second time you got a B. In your dental school app gpa, they will use both grades, so it would be equivalent to taking 2 classes and getting an F in one and a B in the other

If it was a 3 unit class you would get zero quality points for the F grade, but they will still add the credit hours in the units attempted which lowers the gpa significantly. Many people including me have similar situations.

i have 2 D's on my transcripts.. both pre-reqs. re-took and got A's. my final GPA was over 3.5... i got into a good dental school.

make sure you do well on the DAT to tame the red flags that your F's bring up. during your interview be honest about your bad semester--place the blame on yourself, emphasize how you persevered, and make it clear that you have learned from your mistakes. a little bit of charisma helps, too.

bottom line: don't give up!! ...

jb!:)

idomyownstunts

what they do is factor in both grades, for instance, say you took a class twice first time you got an F and the second time you got a B. In your dental school app gpa, they will use both grades, so it would be equivalent to taking 2 classes and getting an F in one and a B in the other

If it was a 3 unit class you would get zero quality points for the F grade, but they will still add the credit hours in the units attempted which lowers the gpa significantly. Many people including me have similar situations.
Right I understand but one does not earn those credits even if attempted. So when you retake a class they will average out the 2 grades and count it for one class.

Right I understand but one does not earn those credits even if attempted. So when you retake a class they will average out the 2 grades and count it for one class.

thats not how it works though, their gpa's are calculated by quality points/units attempted. Its units attempted and not units earned, so even if you got an F they will still count the units attempted. I checked the aadsas guide, and called them to double check a few weeks ago, and they confirmed it. And trust me man you are in a better situation than many, I had a rough first three years at my JC were I racked up 3 years worth of D's and C's at my junior college, I redid all my D's and even though the ones I retook dont count in my JC gpa, they will still count in my aadsas gpa calculations

Here you go it starts on page 44.
http://www.adea.org/WebDocs/AADSAS/AppAADSASInstructions.pdf

Don't worry. Reread what I pmed you. My stats are not great nor do I have an out of this world DAT scores.

sigh.. I'm in almost same situation as him.
I screwed up my first year in college;I got F on one engineering class and D on general chemistry 1 and 2 :(
I just finished the first semester of junior year in university majoring in biomedical engineering(BME) and I'm getting around 3.48 GPA(3.20 GPA for AADASAS). I have retaken genchem 1&2 and got A on both of them and C for my freshman engineering class. Other than my first year, I have received almost all As with two Bs.
thanksfully, my DAT score is 24:oops: and I have some shadowing & volunteer activity experiences.
the thing is... I have to apply to dental school for this summer if I want to get into dental school right after my graduation.
My school offers 5 year program of BS-MS program for biomedical engineering, which i believe I can get into.
Looking at other people's thread, it seems getting a masters degree will help me getting into dental school..... so Would you guys recommend me doing BS-MS program???
I mean..Do you guys think that I'll have any chance of getting ino dental school without getting MS degree?
Also.. will my undergraduate school's reputation affect my admission? I mean.. my school is notorious for having hard BME classes.:oops:

Hokoko,
there people who are in worst predicament than you but have dug themselves out of their hole. If it's early in your academic career but you've done well since you have steady improvement working in your favor. Your out of the world DAT score will definitely give you an edge in the application process. You are competing on what amounts to a level playing feel compared to others with red flags. In your situation hold off on the masters unless you really are interested in it. Apply first and see what happens. You never know you might get in and save you the trouble and $$$$$ of going to a masters program. :thumbup: