Good GPA, upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshprinceofec

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the importance of an upward GPA trend with a lower GPA, but does the same concept apply if I have an upward trend with a high GPA at the end of undergrad (>3.8, increased every term). In other words, can I apply slightly higher or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Give us your self calculated AMCAS GPA Grid

How would a GPA trend like this look:

Freshman: 3.93s 3.97c

Sophomore: 3.87s 3.91c

Junior: 4.0s 4.0c

Will the dip sophomore year have any effect?

How would a GPA trend like this look:

Freshman: 3.93s 3.97c

Sophomore: 3.87s 3.91c

Junior: 4.0s 4.0c

Will the dip sophomore year have any effect?

Honestly I don't think there really is a trend at all besides high GPA the whole time. It would be more noticeable if it went from 3.93 to 3.5 to 4.0 but a 0.06 dip is meaningless. That probably means you got a few A-s instead of As which is fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Give us your self calculated AMCAS GPA Grid
(All freshman--->senior yr)
Running Overall: 3.62, 3.71, 3.78, 3.82
Running BCPM: 3.48, 3.71, 3.78, 3.81
Running all other: 3.86, 3.73, 3.78, 3.86

Other than you being neurotically "dippy" about this minor dip that no one would notice or care about except you, this will have no affect.

Assume that you are applying at 3.9 level

Above 3.9 do adcoms really care about differences in GPA? Is there a difference between a 3.93 and a 3.98 from an admissions perspective or is the difference so small that no one cares?

Above 3.9 do adcoms really care about differences in GPA? Is there a difference between a 3.93 and a 3.98 from an admissions perspective or is the difference so small that no one cares?

Every one I've talked to has said they don't care. They all had different cutoffs, but generally at 3.9+ everything is pretty much seen as equal.

Reactions: 1 user