freshprinceofec

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've heard of the importance of an upward GPA trend with a lower GPA, but does the same concept apply if I have an upward trend with a high GPA at the end of undergrad (>3.8, increased every term). In other words, can I apply slightly higher or no?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I've heard of the importance of an upward GPA trend with a lower GPA, but does the same concept apply if I have an upward trend with a high GPA at the end of undergrad (>3.8, increased every term). In other words, can I apply slightly higher or no?
Give us your self calculated AMCAS GPA Grid

About the Ads

boogiecousins94

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
How would a GPA trend like this look:

Freshman: 3.93s 3.97c

Sophomore: 3.87s 3.91c

Junior: 4.0s 4.0c

Will the dip sophomore year have any effect?

Honestly I don't think there really is a trend at all besides high GPA the whole time. It would be more noticeable if it went from 3.93 to 3.5 to 4.0 but a 0.06 dip is meaningless. That probably means you got a few A-s instead of As which is fine

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
How would a GPA trend like this look:

Freshman: 3.93s 3.97c

Sophomore: 3.87s 3.91c

Junior: 4.0s 4.0c

Will the dip sophomore year have any effect?

Other than you being neurotically "dippy" about this minor dip that no one would notice or care about except you, this will have no affect.

Assume that you are applying at 3.9 level

Reactions: 1 users

lolpremed22

May 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Other than you being neurotically "dippy" about this minor dip that no one would notice or care about except you, this will have no affect.

Assume that you are applying at 3.9 level

Above 3.9 do adcoms really care about differences in GPA? Is there a difference between a 3.93 and a 3.98 from an admissions perspective or is the difference so small that no one cares?

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Above 3.9 do adcoms really care about differences in GPA? Is there a difference between a 3.93 and a 3.98 from an admissions perspective or is the difference so small that no one cares?

Every one I've talked to has said they don't care. They all had different cutoffs, but generally at 3.9+ everything is pretty much seen as equal.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.