Good Idea or Terrible Gamble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilpip

vjohnson
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so quick question about applying to schools. I'm a sophomore right now and was thinking about how I should go about applying for medical schools come end of my Junior year.

I'm planning on applying through the Early Decision Program to Indiana University (as an in state student of course). Through charts and graphs that I've seen on SDN it looks like IU would be a "Safety" school for me.

I just keep seeing the "Apply early and widely" suggestion everywhere and am wondering if maybe the early decision program might be a bad gamble (I know that EDP forces you to apply to only one school and if rejected sets you back about 3 months in the application process to others). So was just curious if anyone had any experience with EDP. Not really interested in going to any high ranking schools, plan has always been to go to IU and I would love to emphasize this if I was granted an interview with them.

TLDR~ Not sure if I should use the EDP at a school I want to go to and risk having an entire cycle derailed if denied or apply early and widely at random schools and hope for the best. Any opinions warmly welcomed and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but how do you know it would be a safety school? As a sophomore you still a significant amount of time for your gpa to change and have it go up or go down. Also, have you taken the mcat yet? If not, you don't know if your score is in their range or not. Finally, as a sophomore you still have at least another year for extra curricular. If you want to go to IU, why wouldn't you want to apply EDP?

No offense taken. Yeah there was a bit of tinkering with what GPA will be at end of Jr. year. But I'm confident enough that I could easily get the values needed to fall into what would be classified as "safety". That's assuming the charts and whatnot I was using were correct of course. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, was again playing with values in the chart.

Yeah I'm using my summers for volunteer work/ER scribe (hopefully get the job). What I guess I was really asking was if it was advisable to take the risk of an early decision program as opposed to applying to multiple places. Just really never see much advice on it considering the amount of time lost if it blows up in the applicants face.

I know I've still got a good chunk of time, lurking on these forums always gets me a little nervous I suppose. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should just apply without EDP when the time comes...

Traveling to different schools on the interview trail may convince you that there are other schools out there that are a better fit than the school you had in mind. Plus, if you end up with a good enough GPA and MCAT, you could still have a good chance at your state school.

Basically, leave as many doors open as you can, but until next summer don't think too much about any particular school. Focus on your grades, test scores, and ECs

Yeah right now just focus on your MCAT and GPA, but EDP for med school is not the same as it is for undergrad. In undergrad, you find out your ED status on December 15th normally and it's okay because you can still apply regular by January 1st like everyone else. EDP, you find out around October, but if you don't get in, you're very late relative to the applicant pool. Plus, if you're a great candidate at a school like IU, you're probably going to be interviewed early anyways while you won't jeopardize your standing at other schools (plus of course, you can always change your mind if you interview elsewhere and realize that there's a better fit) and obviously you will be okay elsewhere if you don't get in. So definitely don't do EDP just apply early.

Personally, I feel like EDP at any school is a bad gamble. Apply early, (hopefully) get an earlier interview, and if you are a truly desirable candidate at IU, you'll get a fairly early acceptance offer. But if you've overestimated yourself and you are not accepted early decision, then you're behind other applicants in the cycle. In addition, EDP is binding (which I'm sure you know), which means that you can't really compare schools after you get your acceptance. Who knows? If you get into other schools besides IU, another one might seem more appealing later on.

Basically, leave as many doors open as you can, but until next summer don't think too much about any particular school. Focus on your grades, test scores, and ECs
[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
.[FONT=&#23435].​

[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
.​

This. It will put you at a disadvantage. Because if you decide not to go there or they do not take you, you will be late applying to any other school. I wouldn't do it if you want to get in the first time around. Regardless, good luck!:D

from what i understand, EDP is a really bad idea UNLESS you know for a fact that you really are a strong candidate for admission to that school by regular admission. Example: Average school gpa: 3.6, Mcat: 31 and your stats are 3.6 + 32 mcat or 3.7 + 30 mcat or any of that variation. If your in that kind of position, then EDP is a great choice because the admission committee will at LEAST grant you an interview.

from what i understand, EDP is a really bad idea UNLESS you know for a fact that you really are a strong candidate for admission to that school by regular admission. Example: Average school gpa: 3.6, Mcat: 31 and your stats are 3.6 + 32 mcat or 3.7 + 30 mcat or any of that variation. If your in that kind of position, then EDP is a great choice because the admission committee will at LEAST grant you an interview.

But if you're a really strong candidate for admission to that school and you submit your AMCAS on day one, wouldn't they likely offer you an interview (RD) anyway? If you're as confident an applicant as the OP seems to be, I'd only advise applying EDP if there are circumstances that would prevent you from attending any other institution. Conversely, if you are a poor to borderline applicant and you don't think you'd have a shot anywhere else, applying EDP might slightly improve your odds at an interview and/or acceptance.

But again, if you're a *strong* applicant with no prohibitive geographical ties, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not applying early and broadly. Not only is EDP a huge opportunity cost, but as others have let on, it can hurt you when it comes to financial aid packages.

But if you're a really strong candidate for admission to that school and you submit your AMCAS on day one, wouldn't they likely offer you an interview (RD) anyway? If you're as confident an applicant as the OP seems to be, I'd only advise applying EDP if there are circumstances that would prevent you from attending any other institution. Conversely, if you are a poor to borderline applicant and you don't think you'd have a shot anywhere else, applying EDP might slightly improve your odds at an interview and/or acceptance.

But again, if you're a *strong* applicant with no prohibitive geographical ties, you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not applying early and broadly. Not only is EDP a huge opportunity cost, but as others have let on, it can hurt you when it comes to financial aid packages.

being "really" strong and "strong" are different, really strong could mean that you have like a 40 MCAT and academically your a superstar, chances are the OP isnt and most of us aren't either. Thats why EDP is helpful, if you have around the average stats for the school its more probable that you will get an interview through EDP than through RD

I also wonder about the advantage of EDP. People say that don't go EDP unless you are a very strong applicant for the school but if you are strong wouldn't they just give you interview if you applied regular admissions? I understand it is easier to stand out in a small pool of applicant but considering you are pretty much limiting yourself to just 1 school for the 1st 3 months, I am not sure that is an advantage anymore.

It really boils down to two purpose:

1. Would you be reasonably happy being in a medical school? Maximizing your changes of getting into school would be applying early, and early decision to none.

2. Would you be significantly happy at one specific medical school, and significantly much less happier at any other medical school? Then, you want to maximize your chances at that one school, and decrease your changes at every other medical school by applying late. Then, do early decision.

Most people do the first, since they would be just as happy at any of their top three schools. Most people only do the second if they're stuck to a specific location due to family or other circumstances.

This is key. Is there any reason why you are set on only IU? Most people I know who have done EDP have done so because they absolutely need to stay in the area (family, SO, etc) or have significant ties to the school (extensive research, connections) and aren't positive they can get in anywhere else.

OP, you have time, just like everyone has said. Keep that GPA up, kill the MCAT, and get a good mix of EC's. If you do all of this, there's no reason why you don't have a chance at IU regular decision. That way, you can also explore other options as well.

The way I see it, the ONLY reason to apply ED to any school is that your situation restricts you from attending any other school. In other words, if you didn't get in, would you be willing to sit out the application cycle and reapply more broadly the following year? This is a pretty rare situation and doesn't sound like it applies to you. (It's more common for non-trads who must stay in a certain area due to family restrictions.)

Thanks for all the responses!

Really I have no mandatory reason (family etc.) that would force me to go to IU. Just kind of figured that I would maximize chance of getting in by using EDP.

Call it ignorance (because it probably is) but I just have never really cared about "where" I went for Medical School. Basic premise seems the same, and staying in state would save me a chunk of debt in the long run. But then again I would prefer to be stuck in debt for a while longer rather than losing a year.

So yeah, great points all around :D. Gives me more to think about (especially liked that bit about EDP users usually stuck in a state for a reason). Pros and Cons for both arguments (but that's what makes it kinda fun if you ask me).

Thanks again everybody, didn't expect so many responses so quickly. Any others are still greatly appreciated!