Good idea?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by edieb, Jul 29, 2006.

1. edieb

edieb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am starting internship this year and am thinking about career opportunities. Since I plan on moving to Albuquerque, New Mexico (family reasons) after internship, I am starting the post doctoral master's in psychopharm through an accredited program. This is costing $15K in loans. However, I want a private practice and want to make money. I checked and there are NO prescribing psychologists even near Albuquerque (weird, huh); rather, they are all in the SE of the state. Does anybody think my taking out these subsidized loans to take these courses is a bad idea money wise>?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 50960

50960 Guest

No. What program are you going to??

4. Psyclops

Psyclops 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I think it would be a good idea.

5. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Membership Revoked
    Removed

It's a great idea! I applaud your effort. :thumbup:

The sooner you begin, the better (and the quicker you'll pay off that small loan). I recall reading somewhere that psychology interns in NM were starting their psychopharmacology post-docs concurrent with their internship. This would shave at least a year off the didactic portion of the training. If you decide to do another post-doc (non-psychopharm, i.e., health/neuro), you could complete your MS in psychopharmacology at the same time and begin your practicum and conditional prescribing period soon thereafter. I would check with Dr. Elaine LeVine (google for her e-mail address) about the specifics regarding psychopharm training and the prescribing law in NM.

Because the majority of folks pursuing RxP training have been in practice for years, little is known about how fresh graduates, who still have internship and other post-docs to complete, should go about pursuing RxP in states where RxP legislation has passed. There must be some way to complete all the training concurrent with internship/post-doc. I would imagine that some neuropsychology post-docs would want to also complete psychopharmacology training. It would be silly to have to complete the training separately.