Good IM book for 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaghoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year applying in IM with a whole lot of time on my hands coming up. I took the past year off for research, and I'll be spending much of 4th year on research projects as well. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good IM book I could read in preparation for residency, so I don't lose all my knowledge? I feel like I forgot a lot during the year away and don't want that to happen again. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Harrison's essentials. Its available as a PDF on the internet for free. The text is like 1000pages, but that's the ish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Please don't waste your fourth year slogging through some dry dusty textbook, enjoy your life, you will have a steep learning curve no matter what.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk...one thing that I've seen and want to avoid is looking worse than the med students as an intern when i can't decide which b-blocker to use or when I want to order a test but can't remember a particularity about it. Last month I held an intern's hand throughout a rotation, that's shameful.

I don't like using pocket resources and I wouldn't trust a physician that relies on them.

Idk...one thing that I've seen and want to avoid is looking worse than the med students as an intern when i can't decide which b-blocker to use or when I want to order a test but can't remember a particularity about it. Last month I held an intern's hand throughout a rotation, that's shameful.

I don't like using pocket resources and I wouldn't trust a physician that relies on them.

Yeah, but you'll never know everything. Looking things up will improve patient care.

Not saying to avoid knowing material but saying pocket resources are bad is a stretch.

I meant relying on the green book or epocrates etc to guide you how to workup a DKA, aki, chf etc because you haven't touched a book in 2 months. For adverse rxns, new drugs, dosing, they're butter.

Its just my thought that studying to prepare for 4th year isn't a bad idea. From M3 onward, you're affecting people who look to you to help take care of them, even if you're just running to get supplies for a procedure. I feel like if I don't know my **** then I'm letting people down.

I'll probably burn out with that mentality?

read and do MKSAP 16 questions

Your chief residents get all of their teaching from here, which they use to impress you. Impress your upper residents and attendings (unless they are older attendings who read Harrison's back and forth multiple times) on day 1

Also brush up on your social skills and keeping your cool skills because you will definitely need them when dealing with demanding families.