Good IM electives for someone interested in immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the role of the immune system in disease (autoimmune, malignancy, infection), and I was wondering if people could give some advice on the best electives within the IM category? I was definitely thinking of rheumatology, heme/onc, ID, endocrine and perhaps a neuroimmunology elective.

Opinions on cardio, pulm, renal, and ophtho electives?

Members don't see this ad.

rheumatology
allergy/immunology

Rheuma
Hema-Onc

Genetics might also be interesting for you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in the role of the immune system in disease (autoimmune, malignancy, infection), and I was wondering if people could give some advice on the best electives within the IM category? I was definitely thinking of rheumatology, heme/onc, ID, endocrine and perhaps a neuroimmunology elective.

Opinions on cardio, pulm, renal, and ophtho electives?

You won't have much of an opportunity to learn about the immune system while rotating through a cardiology service. You may happen upon some related diseases by chance, but it's just not where the emphasis is. I doubt you'd get much on renal either.

Maybe pulmonary if they're also critical care and doing a lot of sepsis management in the ICU. You could probably spend up to 20 minutes on each patient debating the merits of steroids in their particular circumstance. (just kidding... sort of)

I think you'd benefit the most from allergy/immunology, rheum, and ID rotations.

-The Trifling Jester

If there is some way to manage a transplant rotation (depends on what sorts of transplants your hospital does...lungs are my favorite), you can learn a lot about the immune system through those immune modulating drugs and rejection/infectious complications in transplant patients.