Good improvement with low MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlasmodiumVivax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a community college and transferred to a UC with a cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.1. Now I have a cGPA 3.5 and sGPA 3.6 at the UC, not including my CC. Would my CC grades greatly impact me, or do they mainly look at my UC gpa?

MCAT score was abysmal (25 10 BS, 6 V, 9 PS). I've been studying for over 5 months and about to take a practice test to see where I stand. I'll take the mcat June 21st of this cycle hoping for >30.

Extracirriculars: 400 volunteer and internship hours, 400 research hours, jobshadowed a MD for a year. I have the chance to get a letter from an D.O. but it may not be strong :(. 3 club leadership positions.

Should I apply for both low-tier MD's or D.O schools? I heard that D.O. schools would want to reject you if you apply for both rather than just osteopathic schools. D.O. are my top choice and M.D. would be my back up.

Members don't see this ad.

-The question would be how many courses did you take at the CC, adcoms might not like it if you took a great number there.

-DO schools will not reject you for applying to both.

- Find a strong letter somehow

- Grade replacement will factor in for AACOMAS (DO)

- Good luck on the MCAT, bring that verbal up.

I took 2 years of material there, the premed classes except for Physics.

I first had a science gpa of 2.0 the first quarter, ended with a 3.6 in community college.

Know of any methods to talk to any D.O. doctors into getting a letter? I've contacted 3 people who unfortunately couldn't let me job shadow. I may be too late in the grade replacement process.

I'll definitely bring the verbal up, thank you for the help!