• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone here have insight to share on financial aid/loans when going from a good salary to a medical student...I know that questions are asked about income from the previous year, and I'd like to know how that will effect me...

Thanks ahead of time...

dc

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It will depend on the school budget, cost, the amount you have in savings, etc. Every medical student will qualify for $38,500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans at a minimum. If you have specific questions, it's probably best to talk to the financial aid office at your medical school.

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
mpp said:
It will depend on the school budget, cost, the amount you have in savings, etc. Every medical student will qualify for $38,500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans at a minimum. If you have specific questions, it's probably best to talk to the financial aid office at your medical school.
Did they raise this? It was $8,500 in subsidized plus $28,500 in federal unsubsidized, not $38,500. Just curious if they recently increased the amount.

About the Ads

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
southerndoc said:
Did they raise this? It was $8,500 in subsidized plus $28,500 in federal unsubsidized, not $38,500. Just curious if they recently increased the amount.
For one school I received $32,222 in unsubsidized stafford loans and $8,500 in subsidized stafford loans. That's $40,722 in total Stafford loans for one year. I think they raised the max of unsubsidized you can get.

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
Adapt said:
For one school I received $32,222 in unsubsidized stafford loans and $8,500 in subsidized stafford loans. That's $40,722 in total Stafford loans for one year. I think they raised the max of unsubsidized you can get.
Cool, that reduces the amount of private loans students need!

Fermi

15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2000
Status
Attending Physician
bigdan said:
Anyone here have insight to share on financial aid/loans when going from a good salary to a medical student...I know that questions are asked about income from the previous year, and I'd like to know how that will effect me...
There is nothing on the FAFSA that accounts for the transition from full time work to full time school, but the financial aid office of your future med school might have provisions for this. My school has something called a "change of circumstances form" in which you explain why your FAFSA does not reflect what your financial situation will be the next year. I had to provide extra documentation like a letter from my former employer confirming that I no longer worked there, even though it was pretty obvious since I had moved to a different city.

About the Ads