Good Intro Psych books for GRE subject exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksskateboard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm am in the preliminary stages of studying for my GRE's (both the general and the psych) to take at the end of summer. I am going to study both the princeton review and kaplan GRE books, but I also want to look over atleast one intro psych book. I feel that by looking at an intro book, I will be fully prepared when studying for my GRE via kaplan/princeton review. If anyone has any recommendations I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This might be dated, but in 2004 I used Everything You Need to Know to Score High-GRE Psychology-3rd edition by Sidney Raphael, Ph.D and L.H Halpert Ph.D. It easier than searching through huge intro to psych text books cause it highlights important aspects, is divided into well organized sections (abnormal, perception, history, learning, experimental, etc), and contains 2 sample tests.

if you're a current or very recent undergrad, there will be some/many areas that are fresh in your mind since you took a class in them not that long ago. for those areas, definatel focuson the gre prep guides the most. it's a M/C test, so monce you have the concepts and timeline down, names are so important. but if there's an area where you haven't taken a class, or feel a little rough, i'd say any good intro text would be fine, coupled with the study guide and/or gre prep text. i used glietman, and it was good, except not as focused on names and dates as i would have liked. paired with the study guide and onlien materials, it was fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
on a side note:

i would really recommend keeping the GRE subject prep book after you finish taking the test. It is nice to have when studying for the EPPP

Myself and 4 people I know have all used Peter Gray's Intro psych textbook coupled with the Kaplan review book. Learned Kaplan back and forth, Gray's to fill in the gaps, as a reference, etc.

We've all been over the 90th percentile.
I make no guarantees, but n=5 for success with that method;)

Maybe things have changed, but when I took the psych GRE, you could only take it in April, November, or December