Good Job, still want to pursue DSW/PhD, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subconsciousme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a fantastic government jobs with fantastic government benefits. I am also a LCSW in Chicago. It is not feasible nor practical to quit my job.

However, I have long wanted to get my PhD/DSW. I did everything I could in my BSW and MSW education to prepare me for this path, including getting published as a first author (Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment), presenting at conferences, and getting the grades I needed to get.

Right now, I am considering the Institute for Clinical Social Work (PhD) and USC (DSW). Both for different reasons. But I'm open to any program that is largely online with bonus points for GRE (do not get me started on standardized tests please).

Also, please don't ask why I want to get a PhD/DSW. My intentions are on target for my professional goals.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All!

I have a fantastic government jobs with fantastic government benefits. I am also a LCSW in Chicago. It is not feasible nor practical to quit my job.

However, I have long wanted to get my PhD/DSW. I did everything I could in my BSW and MSW education to prepare me for this path, including getting published as a first author (Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment), presenting at conferences, and getting the grades I needed to get.

Right now, I am considering the Institute for Clinical Social Work (PhD) and USC (DSW). Both for different reasons. But I'm open to any program that is largely online with bonus points for GRE (do not get me started on standardized tests please).

Also, please don't ask why I want to get a PhD/DSW. My intentions are on target for my professional goals.
I'm not totally sure what your question is, but it sounds like you're looking for suggestions of programs. There aren't many DSW programs in existence and few online mental health-related doctorates to look at, so you're probably choosing from a pretty limited set of options. You may want to look at the University of Tennessee's DSW program. It's online with week-long in-person residencies during the summer of year 1 and year 2. Penn also now has an online DSW program with a similar format. I know you said don't ask why, but if you are wanting advice on which program to choose I think that probably depends on what you want to do after you get it. Do you want to stay in your current job? Move into administration in your organization, pursue an academic career? Feel free not to answer that, but those are the questions I would be thinking about.