guitarguy23

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If I applying again for the next cycle but need to work, what are some good jobs I should shoot for to make some money but also do something clinical to improve my application?

Does anyone know about how you become a tech in a hospital? I'm in the second year of my master's degree and I'm not sure if I could do another program at this point jsut to be certified to work in that.

Any advice would be helpful!

glasshalfMD

40 weeks til MD?
Apr 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If I applying again for the next cycle but need to work, what are some good jobs I should shoot for to make some money but also do something clinical to improve my application?

Does anyone know about how you become a tech in a hospital? I'm in the second year of my master's degree and I'm not sure if I could do another program at this point jsut to be certified to work in that.

Any advice would be helpful!
Clinical research, FTW! :thumbup:

OGMD

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
I'm reapplying and I do clinical research with a drug company. pays $20/hr 9-5 and it's flexible in terms of interviews. Craigslist ftw!

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
It doesn't have to be medically-related btw. I have heard adcoms explicitly say so. You just have to be able to talk about what you learned from that experience and how those lessons can be applied to medicine and dealing with patients.

Now, I know most of us on here probably would prefer to do a medically-related job, so chase one all you want. But it is not necessary, so don't kill yourself trying to find one.

But if you get a non-medical job, keep volunteering in the medical field.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Become a brand ambassador for one of the global whisky/whiskey companies. Travel, useful people skills, unusual job, loot, perks, etc. Help scoring an interview? Hell yes. Everyone and his unsuccessful brother does research.

Gatsby

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2008
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
See if your school offers any certification programs. If they don't, check out some local Community Colleges and see if they do the same.

For example, my school offers programs that train people to be CNAs or Phlebotomists. It's just a six week prep course that doesn't give you the actual ceritifiction, but it meant to fully prep you for the test needed to get that certification. Find a class to take, knock it out of the way and get looking.

There's always supposed to be work for CNAs(since LPNs are getting phased out) and Phlebotomists, though I'm not 100% sure if they'll be as highly looked upon for Pre-Med as they are for Nursing(which was what I was originally going to go for). Worth looking into though.

BearDownAZ

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2010
Status
I'm reapplying and I do clinical research with a drug company. pays $20/hr 9-5 and it's flexible in terms of interviews. Craigslist ftw!

Blah, I do Clinical Research at a university and get payed $12.55 for 8-5.

I'm getting screwed.