Good luck Class of 2013

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bryce, May 6, 2008.

1. bryce

Just wanted to wish all well with everything coming up. I spent the last three years busting my butt to apply and get in this year, only to find out a week ago that I'm going back to the sandbox... It's all good, there's always next year after all... Take Care guys and help a brotha out next yr.

Bryce:cool:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gold 5

Gold 5 Stay On Target

Medical Student
    Hey Bryce,
    I hope you have a safe and uneventful deployment. If you have already gotten in, I think any school would give you a deferment for serving your country!

Good Luck and stay safe

Gold

4. PunkmedGirl

PunkmedGirl Freshman Member

Pre-Medical
    AAww well good luck to you to. My brother just left about a week ago so definately stay safe.:)

5. bryce

Hey, thanks Gold. I haven't applied yet, however, I know exactly where I want to go, however, I am unsure about the school's feelings on this issue. When I toured the school last year, I was assured that they would work with me. But then again, I don't know how much of that was merely, "talk". Any advice that you'd have on this one I would certainly appreciate.

Take Care
    Bryce

6. bryce

Punkmedgirl, thank you for your well wishes. I am not too worried about it, been there, done that, but I am also going this time with one of the most elite fighting units in the military, so that certainly helps. I will keep your brother in my prayers.

7. soccerchicoc

soccerchicoc Doctor, Army CPT, and mommy

Attending Physician

Thank you.... You will be in my prayers to keep you safe while over there.

8. bryce

Thank you very much... Geesh, I didn't get this much affection from my own family. It's really no big deal. When people ask me what I do whenever I'm there, I respond simply with "working on my tan". That generally generates a smile.

9. TexasTriathlete

Medical Student
    Use plenty of sunscreen, and try not to hurt anyone.

10. soccerchicoc

Attending Physician
    What branch are you in? I commission on Fri into the army.

11. PunkmedGirl

PunkmedGirl Freshman Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you and I will keep you in mines as well.:)

12. bryce

Dude right now I can use all of the sun that I can get, it's a sad state of affairs. Worst idea that I ever had [aside from crazy ex-gf's of course] was the first time that I was over there I decided to put on some tanning lotion and go for a run on some down time... it was obvious to everybody that I was a private!:thumbdown:

13. bryce

I am in the Army as well. Congrats on your commission! That's quite an accomplishment, especially if your prior enlisted with any time in the 'box'. I want to be a career army doc. Have you been in long?

14. soccerchicoc

Attending Physician

i wish i could say i was prior enlisted but im not... i decided the ROTC route when parents wouldn't sign the form to enlist... i want to be career army doc as well

15. bryce

Have you explored either the active duty or natl guard rt? They [the army] are really kicking up their incentives for the active duty program. My buddy actually negotiated a great deal and is having all of his undergrad loans covered, which, from what I understand, is a pretty hefty amount... By the way, congrats on your commission!!!!! Don't let that butter on your collar slip off:laugh:. Bad jk, I know. Hell, I really can't wait until I get mine. Are you guard or have you gotten into a program already?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. soccerchicoc

Attending Physician

active duty.... yeah the incentives are very nice.... i got the armed forces scholarship for medical school so its exciting.... I also picked up an educational delay for medical school..... im on a waiting list so hopefully i get accepted

18. bryce

Congrats, yet again. If you don't mind, how'd you get the scholarship being waitlisted? I'm not trying to be an ***, I am just curious as to how that works. Also, what is your educational delay? Do you just train for the next year [BOLC2&3]? How'd you go about getting the scholarship? I'm sorry for the 20, I will be doing the same thing and I am not sure how to go about doing so.

19. soccerchicoc

Attending Physician

its cool.... my recruitor hooked me up and boarded me for the scholarship hoping that I will get off the wait list....I get one year to get into medical school before the army will place me where the needs are ie prolly chem corps....hopefully if i don't get in i can file a one year extension and reapply..... I dont have to do Bolc 2 only BOLC 3 so its nice prolly will do that next summer..... scholarship i would find the AMEDD recruitor in ur state that ur in and start applying its guarenteed if you score a 27 on MCAT and a 3.0 GPA well at least in Arkansas it is but its pretty similar all over.... any other questions feel free to ask.... and thanks