Good MA program for clinical phd hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

havesomefaith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
I decided to apply to some masters programs in addition to some clinical phd programs this year. I've been having trouble finding information about good masters programs where I can gain research experience to improve my chances of getting into a clinical phd program. My interests are child/developmental psychopathology and cultural/racial issues (Asian American mental health). I am also interested in neurological/biological factors. I've been looking into schools that offer MA/MS in general and experimental psychology. What schools/programs would you suggest?
Some schools/programs I've come up with are:
New School MA general psych
CUNY Brooklyn MA experimental
Mount Holyoke MA general?
Bucknell MS experimental
Long Island U MA general

Has anyone gone to or know about any of these programs or any other good ones? Funding is also really important for me!!
I'd appreciate any feedback/info/thoughts you can send my way!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All!
I decided to apply to some masters programs in addition to some clinical phd programs this year. I've been having trouble finding information about good masters programs where I can gain research experience to improve my chances of getting into a clinical phd program. My interests are child/developmental psychopathology and cultural/racial issues (Asian American mental health). I am also interested in neurological/biological factors. I've been looking into schools that offer MA/MS in general and experimental psychology. What schools/programs would you suggest?
Bucknell MS experimental
Long Island U MA general

Has anyone gone to or know about any of these programs or any other good ones? Funding is also really important for me!!
Thanks!

Hi there,

I don't know much about any of these programs but I've heard SUNY in NY has a good psychology program. I'm not sure of its cost but I believe they have a good program. I'm sure the other schools have good programs as well, I just don't know much about them.

Good luck with everything, hope it works out for you.

Hi All!
Bucknell MS experimental
Long Island U MA general

Thanks!

hey looks like we have pretty similar interest, although mine are interventions w/cross-cultural/multicultural issues since I really want to help expand psychological intervention research to countries that lack it. can't help you in the MA/MS domain since I got into a PhD program straight from UG, but just wanted to tell you good luck! :luck:

If you are looking for a good general psych masters backup, Wake Forest and William and Mary are two good choices. I'm actually glad I had a masters back up this year. I applied straight out of undergrad for clinical phd. I had 3 interviews resulting in one wait list (ending in rejection). I was also wait listed at Wake Forest before I was finally accepted. So you never know when that backup may become reality...and Wake is giving me a full ride and an assistantship stipend (rare for a masters program).

As for clinical or counseling masters, I am not sure. I have heard mixed feedback from schools about accepting masters credits from such schools. Many phd. programs are about teaching "their method" and may not accept clinical credits from elsewhere. It is just antoher thing to keep in mind. This is why I just decided to go for the general program to get the main credits and hope to take some courses for a clinical focus.