1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Good major?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tbucsum, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tbucsum

Pre-Medical
    I'm a freshman at the University of Michigan and have been thinking lately about possible concentrations that I can pursue in hopes of entering medical school. I am considering Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Sciences (BBCS). This major is a part of the psychology department here in Michigan.

Does this offer a disadvantage when applying? I have read that a psych major is considered to be the easiest major to obtain. Although this isn't a psych major, does it being part of the psychology department hinder my chances?

BBCS is considered a natural science whereas a psychology major is social science.

Any feedback would help.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aznb0y129

aznb0y129 Oh hamburgers!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As long as you do well in your pre-reqs, the major you choose probably won't matter. In fact, having a non-science major will probably distinguish you a bit from the loads of bio and chem majors applying to med school.

Of course, you have to get good grades in anything you choose, but that goes without saying. So if you have interest in humanities classes, take them now before you're bombarded with science in med school. Good luck!

4. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your major doesn't matter. your performance does. Pick whatever major interests you and do well and you should be fine.

5. DrJonesss

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    as a current psych/pre-med, ditto on what they said. If anything, it will make you stand out. How many bio and chem majors do they see what looking at apps compared to psychology majors?

Not to offend anyone, but I personally do consider my major to be easy without med school pre-reqs, although it might just be because the material is more enjoyable. Believe me, psych classes are such a welcome break from math and science courses, and I think you'll be glad you did it. The only thing is that you'll always be handling a full courseload (I've had 17-18 credits every semester since I got here) because none of your major's requirements will overlap with your pre-reqs, unlike a bio or chem major.
    That said, Im still thinking about picking up a biochem minor...you know, just to be safe.

6. Greonis

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My advice is to follow your heart. Whether or not you choose a major that is common in the pre-med community, you should choose something that you enjoy studying (which, yes, may even include Psychology). Reason being, your love for what you are studying alone will cause you to do extremely well (in addition to having a higher GPA, you'll be far more likely to pursue additional activities related to your area of study), which will in turn make you stand out.

7. mezmerized7

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Your major does not matter at all. As long as you do well in your major and the pre-reqs, you will be fine. As previously stated, if you had a non-science major (and got good grades in the related classes), and stellar grades in the pre-reqs, you would definitely stand out from the typical applicant pool.

8. fightinI

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is right on the button.

I'd just add that your major should be able to lead you into something you want to do should med school not be in your plans 3-5 years from now. If you can't imagine yourself being a research scientist or lab rat, don't choose a science major.

9. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    pick a major that interests you and that fulfills prereqs.