Good Masters GPA vs. Bad undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmalbert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some other similar threads but none really answered my specific question, so if there is one I apologize.

If you've seen my previous posts you'll know my situation. Basically I did terrible in undergrad due to a # of reasons I won't bore you with. I ended up graduating with a B.S. in Business and Minor in Managment with a stellar GPA of a 2.046..........:(

However my hope is to get into an MD program, so I guess my question is if I were to take on an SMP or a Masters Program in Molecular Biology or something similar and I were able to get a great GPA, how much would that help my terrible undergrad GPA.

Would they all just get lumped together?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, if you're really set that DO isn't an option, you have a LOT more work to do than just an SMP or MS program.
1. You need to get your UG GPA to a point where an SMP or MS program will actually look at your app. That means taking LOTS and I mean LOTS of UG classes again. Take them over, take new ones, whatever, just take as many as you can with a 4.0. FWIW, it took me ~80 cr to move my GPA .4 pts (2.8 to 3.2)
2. Once you have a solid upward trend start looking for places that won't cut you out immediately because of your low GPA. Call/email those SMP places and see what they say, maybe you have a shot.
3. if no SMP place will take you, please seriously reconsider DO before you head to the Carib...

I've seen some other similar threads but none really answered my specific question, so if there is one I apologize.

If you've seen my previous posts you'll know my situation. Basically I did terrible in undergrad due to a # of reasons I won't bore you with. I ended up graduating with a B.S. in Business and Minor in Managment with a stellar GPA of a 2.046..........:(

However my hope is to get into an MD program, so I guess my question is if I were to take on an SMP or a Masters Program in Molecular Biology or something similar and I were able to get a great GPA, how much would that help my terrible undergrad GPA.

Would they all just get lumped together?

To answer your questions:
-Masters and uGPA do not get lumped together. Adcoms see your uGPA broken down by year (fresh, soph, junior, sr, post-bacc) and by science and non-science. Masters and SMP show up under graduate GPA.

-A masters will not make up for that uGPA. An SMP might help, if you can gain acceptance into a good one. You're going to want a true SMP (where you take MS-1 classes with other MS-1s), anything else won't make a strong enough statement. A master's (non-SMP) is usually viewed as a nice EC. It will not hurt your application, but there's no guarantee that it will help it. The main reason for this is adcoms really have no way of judging your performance in these programs - every one is different and they all hand out grades differently. In SMPs you're going against med students and their curve.

If I had to make a plan for you it would look something like this:
1. Research any other possible career path. You are in for a long, difficult path with no guarantee of success at the end. 120 credits of 4.0 work will just get you over a 3.0. That's a LOT of very hard work.
2. Start taking science courses, one at a time, and get an A in every single one. Repeat this for 2-3 years. Consider a second-bachelors. Do everything in your power to get your GPA as close to a 3.0 as possible.
3. Annhilate your MCATs. We're talking AT LEAST a 32.
4. SMP, with top marks.
5. Apply to medical school.

During this time you'll also need to do everything in your power to ensure the rest of your application is perfect. Diverse volunteering, great clinical exposure, strong letters of recommendation. Everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I only ask since I am in a similar situation. I understand the need for a masters or SMP, but how will you get admission into these programs in the first place? Like med school, the SMPs are SUPER competitive; how will your 2.0 compete with a 3.2 to get you in?

To answer your questions:
-Masters and uGPA do not get lumped together. Adcoms see your uGPA broken down by year (fresh, soph, junior, sr, post-bacc) and by science and non-science. Masters and SMP show up under graduate GPA.

-A masters will not make up for that uGPA. An SMP might help, if you can gain acceptance into a good one. You're going to want a true SMP (where you take MS-1 classes with other MS-1s), anything else won't make a strong enough statement. A master's (non-SMP) is usually viewed as a nice EC. It will not hurt your application, but there's no guarantee that it will help it. The main reason for this is adcoms really have no way of judging your performance in these programs - every one is different and they all hand out grades differently. In SMPs you're going against med students and their curve.

If I had to make a plan for you it would look something like this:
1. Research any other possible career path. You are in for a long, difficult path with no guarantee of success at the end. 120 credits of 4.0 work will just get you over a 3.0. That's a LOT of very hard work.
2. Start taking science courses, one at a time, and get an A in every single one. Repeat this for 2-3 years. Consider a second-bachelors. Do everything in your power to get your GPA as close to a 3.0 as possible.
3. Annhilate your MCATs. We're talking AT LEAST a 32.
4. SMP, with top marks.
5. Apply to medical school.

During this time you'll also need to do everything in your power to ensure the rest of your application is perfect. Diverse volunteering, great clinical exposure, strong letters of recommendation. Everything.

I am basically going to echo this. You have a 2.0ish which means about 4 years of solid 4.0 to get to the level of doing an SMP. And let's be honest. You don't go from 4 years at C average to 4 years at A average. Masters programs in general are usually inflated so they aren't going to help enough to make up for your horrible gpa. You really should either find something else to do, or realize that you are at least 5 years away from attending an allopathic med school (best case scenario). it just isn't worth it.

i know you want to push on and say "i am doing this" and I encourage it, but you have to be realistic. If we were gambling, based on your track record, I would bet against you. and I would love to lose the money and be wrong. but i would doubt it.