Good MCAT, bad GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gungon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've posted before, but after another semester my numbers are updated and are unfortunately not rising as well as I had hoped.

I have a 3.25 cGPA right now with a 3.1 sGPA, and it looks like I will end up with a 3.35ish and a 3.25ish when I go to apply in June. I have a decent upward trend, got a 3.62 this passed semester.

I got a 37Q on my MCAT (13ps,12vr,12vr) last August.

My ECs are pretty strong I would say, with a good mix of research, teaching, medical and non-medical community service and leadership positions. My LORs should be pretty good as well.

With all that being said, am I in trouble for MD acceptances? I feel like I would definitely be ok for DO if I had to go that route, but I would much much prefer to go MD. Any help would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the AAMC, you have a 61.1% of landing an acceptance with that GPA/MCAT. You might consider an unofficial post-bac program to boost the GPA, but you should calculate how much will the GPA if per say you got like 6-8 more A's. Do you have a compelling story to explain for why your GPA started out so low fresh/soph years?

I think if your trend during the last to years is closer to 4.0 there will be schools willing to look at your application now that you have a high MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A in anatomy and anatomy lab, B+ in cell bio. Those were the only sciences I took last semester.

For optimal MD school consideration, I think it will be very important (hopefully, not critical) for you to end on a higher note this last semester before you apply. What upper-level science do you have planned for the spring, and how confident are you of your ability to get As based on input from classmates or ratetheprofessor-type feedback?

I feel pretty good about it. I am taking invertebrate bio and it's lab and developmental neurobiology...both the professors I have good experiences with and I should be able to excel in them. I'm also taking applied stats with a great prof, so hopefully those should all turn out as As adding 10 credits of A to my BCPM. I feel pretty confident that I can get close to a 4.0 next semester and hopefully that will be enough to get in this coming cycle. I'm a junior though, so if I have to reapply after another 2 semester, I can...obviously I would prefer to not have to do that though. I'm a NY state resident btw...so I have some good state school choices that would hopefully be reasonably in range for me.

I am taking invertebrate bio and it's lab and developmental neurobiology...both the professors I have good experiences with and I should be able to excel in them. I'm also taking applied stats with a great prof, so hopefully those should all turn out as As adding 10 credits of A to my BCPM.
Excellent!