Good MCAT + Irish GPA = NA med school (possible or not)???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Id like to thank the folks who help me out with this ahead of time, i really appreciate it.

I go to an irish medical school and just finished my first year. According to Canadian gpa standards, i believe i have a 3.7-3.8 GPA.

My question is, with a solid MCAT score and if I maintain this GPA (or perhaps increase it), would i be a competitive applicant to be accepted into a North American Medical School?

I ask this because, i know to apply here in north america, a student must finish some pre-req courses, now as i am in ireland i wont be able to do this, so will my GPA for the courses i have done, be valid??

Also, how many days/months of preparation would you say, an average individual would need for the MCAT? Im just asking a ballpark figure, i do understand everyone is different.

Thanking you again

Danger

Members don't see this ad.

anybody, please id really appreciate it? I dont have much time to decide whether or not

a) taking the MCAT would be worth it
b) whether i have sufficient time to prepare

Danger said:
anybody, please id really appreciate it? I dont have much time to decide whether or not

a) taking the MCAT would be worth it
b) whether i have sufficient time to prepare

At least a month to prepare... but that's if you're willing to be totally hardcore about it... hope that helps...

Well, you still have to fullfill med school requirement in terms of minimum number of credits that much earned in the US. That's in addition to taking MCAT. You cant apply to 99% of US school without taking some US classes. Some schools may even ask to have Bach degree from the US, not only a few classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else thought "irish gpa" stood for "had too much fun gpa"?

In all seriousness though, I think the information would vary amongst schools. I've also read that US medical schools don't accept many foreign students in the first place.

If you're solid in the material, I think 4-6 weeks should do it. I think most prep courses do a 10 week stint in the summer but spread out more for the April administration.

Danger said:
Id like to thank the folks who help me out with this ahead of time, i really appreciate it.

I go to an irish medical school and just finished my first year. According to Canadian gpa standards, i believe i have a 3.7-3.8 GPA.

My question is, with a solid MCAT score and if I maintain this GPA (or perhaps increase it), would i be a competitive applicant to be accepted into a North American Medical School?

I ask this because, i know to apply here in north america, a student must finish some pre-req courses, now as i am in ireland i wont be able to do this, so will my GPA for the courses i have done, be valid??

Also, how many days/months of preparation would you say, an average individual would need for the MCAT? Im just asking a ballpark figure, i do understand everyone is different.

Thanking you again

Danger

No matter your GPA or MCAT you need to have greencard and a long-term visa ( not regular student visa) to reach min requirenment. For American students 30 on MCAT is solid score but for you even a 32 may be enough!
GPA is important but as long as you have a 3.5 you are good to go, so ...

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I had to comment.
Having lived in Dublin for the past two months, I can only tell you that you would have to live here to know that you are completely correct in your interpretation.

In all seriousness though, I think the information would vary amongst schools. I've also read that US medical schools don't accept many foreign students in the first place.

If you're solid in the material, I think 4-6 weeks should do it. I think most prep courses do a 10 week stint in the summer but spread out more for the April administration.

I thought it stood for drunk and bruised up...

Danger

I would think that if you are already in a medical program, schools would be hesitant to admit you.

just so everyone knows, irish med school is an undergraduate program (like in UK, right?)

this is possible, but you need an AMAZING reason to come over. if you've married an american or everyone in your family is american, but due to a random vacation birth in ireland, you ended up over there...or something along those lines...