Good MCAT/Low Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am applying to MD schools this June with 3.9+ gpa (from a big ten school) and 34 MCAT, but 8 in verbal. I noticed in the MSAR that the top 20 med schools (according to rankings, which can be very subjective) have ranges that only begin at 9 for the verbal section of the exam. I have also heard (may be myth, hopefully) that these schools just screen out applicants with anything lower than a 9 in each section, irregardless of the strength of the rest of the application.

My question is whether I should even bother applying to these schools or woukd it be a waste of my time and money. Of course, i would like to get into these schools, but I also dont want to risk unnecessarily having to dilute my efforts come secondary applications time.

If any of you have gotten into a top tier school with an 8 in any section, now is your time to speak!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am applying to MD schools this June with 3.9+ gpa (from a big ten school) and 34 MCAT, but 8 in verbal. I noticed in the MSAR that the top 20 med schools (according to rankings, which can be very subjective) have ranges that only begin at 9 for the verbal section of the exam. I have also heard (may be myth, hopefully) that these schools just screen out applicants with anything lower than a 9 in each section, irregardless of the strength of the rest of the application.

My question is whether I should even bother applying to these schools or woukd it be a waste of my time and money. Of course, i would like to get into these schools, but I also dont want to risk unnecessarily having to dilute my efforts come secondary applications time.

If any of you have gotten into a top tier school with an 8 in any section, now is your time to speak!!

Irregardless is not a word. You meant regardless. It's one of those common mistakes people make.

To be very honest with you, I think it would really help you out if you retake the MCAT and do a point or two better on the verbal. But, I know that retaking the MCAT sucks, so you don't have to, but it will be tough to get into one of the "top schools."

The good news is that all US med schools are good schools, and the rest of your academic qualifications look great! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it is, it means without lack of regard
Very true!

It was unfortunately added recently to a number of commonly referenced dictionaries after they caved to pressure from the lexicographically inept.:thumbdown:laugh:

It was unfortunately added recently to a number of commonly referenced dictionaries after they caved to pressure from the lexicographically inept.:thumbdown:laugh:

language is not static

Direct from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
"usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

Looks like you're both right?

I love how this thread digressed. You guys are great.:laugh:

You probably will not get a shot with that 8 in verbal at the top schools.

So, you can retake and raise the verbal, OR

simply apply broadly to "lower" tier schools and get accepted into medical school.

A medical education is what you put into it. I truly believe all the medical schools will give you the materials needed, but you have to build the house!:D

Man... don't listen to SDN premeds. DO NOT RETAKE THE MCAT! Apply with your 8. I know plenty of people that have gotten into top 20 schools, both urm and non-urm, research and non-research, science major and non-science major, private and public and whatever other pseudo-weaknesses are perpetuated on this site, with an 8 in verbal.

Similarly, I know people with scores higher than yours that didn't make it.

You can't predict your success. Apply, make sure your amcas app is tight, and pray for the best.

Good luck.

PS. You really want your app to be so remarkable that they don't even think about your MCAT. If your interviewer goes into detail about your mcat that means 1. they are overly anal, or 2. you didn't intrigue them enough and they had nothing else to talk about. So give them something else to talk about. Chuuch.

Man... don't listen to SDN premeds. DO NOT RETAKE THE MCAT! Apply with your 8. I know plenty of people that have gotten into top 20 schools, both urm and non-urm, research and non-research, science major and non-science major, private and public and whatever other pseudo-weaknesses are perpetuated on this site, with an 8 in verbal.

Similarly, I know people with scores higher than yours that didn't make it.

You can't predict your success. Apply, make sure your amcas app is tight, and pray for the best.

Good luck.

PS. You really want your app to be so remarkable that they don't even think about your MCAT. If your interviewer goes into detail about your mcat that means 1. they are overly anal, or 2. you didn't intrigue them enough and they had nothing else to talk about. So give them something else to talk about. Chuuch.

Good advice, but some of us just aren't incredibly special and can't depend on that to make up for a potential weakness in our application. Up to the OP to decide how special he/she/it is.

Why is the VR score so low? Did you actually have trouble in this area or was it a fluke section of difficulty for you on test day? I am going to imagine the 8 as hurting the chances of ivy league acceptance however, with well written personal statements, and secondary essays/paragraphs, you could prove them otherwise.

I can see how having a 3.9 makes you feel like top 10 or top 20 is all you want, but I would try to pick the ones you would actually go to, and then apply to the mid range schools broadly just to be safe. Your score is decently high and if you do decide to take it again, just try your best to have an even better score, because fixing the verbal section isnt really worth doing poorly the next time.

i agree with flaahless, do not retake the mcat!!!

apply broadly too. congrats on your stats

Why is the VR score so low? Did you actually have trouble in this area or was it a fluke section of difficulty for you on test day? I am going to imagine the 8 as hurting the chances of ivy league acceptance however, with well written personal statements, and secondary essays/paragraphs, you could prove them otherwise.

I can see how having a 3.9 makes you feel like top 10 or top 20 is all you want, but I would try to pick the ones you would actually go to, and then apply to the mid range schools broadly just to be safe. Your score is decently high and if you do decide to take it again, just try your best to have an even better score, because fixing the verbal section isnt really worth doing poorly the next time.

My verbal has always been pretty subpar, so I wasnt terribly surprised by the eight. It's not my reasoning skills imo, but rather the material. I cant engage in actively reading such non-scientific, non-medicine related material (unless it was social sciences). I was getting tens and nines on practice tests, but I really think that my confidence, or lack of, was what dragged me on test day. It was my second time taking it too (first time i got an eight as well, but 31 total).

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully I pick the right schools that will view as a whole as opposed to just a single statistic on one exam!

My verbal has always been pretty subpar, so I wasnt terribly surprised by the eight. It's not my reasoning skills imo, but rather the material. I cant engage in actively reading such non-scientific, non-medicine related material (unless it was social sciences). I was getting tens and nines on practice tests, but I really think that my confidence, or lack of, was what dragged me on test day. It was my second time taking it too (first time i got an eight as well, but 31 total).

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hopefully I pick the right schools that will view as a whole as opposed to just a single statistic on one exam!

Yes, glad to see this response. I got a 9 on my verbal, just 1 higher, and it never came up in interviews. As others have said, the whole process can be a total crap shoot. No one is a shoo in for a top 20 school here despite what they may say - that's why they are top schools. Just do your best on your amcas and you'll be just fine. Everyone should apply broadly regardless of their stats!! Best of luck!

ditto. Work your writing skills with your essays. Also, assess your writing score on your MCAT. If that is average or above average, you're in pretty good shape. Schools, surprisingly, look at that section for those who are borderline or questionable.

Though I would avoid retaking the MCAT at all costs. That test is brutal.

Hi,

i kno a first yr at a top 3 med school who had a 7 in verbal.

i feel ur pain bcuz i almot retook a 30+ score as well. but not bcuz i felt it would have kept me out of med skool, but bcuzi was disappointed in myself and pissed off at how much time i spent studying :mad:

but um, i dont think an 8 would keep you out of ANY school that would have accepted you if you had a 10. on any given day a verbal score can vary. sometimes i wonder how i got my verbal score :rolleyes: at any rate, dont retake a 34 dude, thats now whats gonna hold you back. plus u never kno if ur gonna get a 26+ combined sci score again, which is is damn impressive

Irregardless is not a word. You meant regardless. It's one of those common mistakes people make.

To be very honest with you, I think it would really help you out if you retake the MCAT and do a point or two better on the verbal. But, I know that retaking the MCAT sucks, so you don't have to, but it will be tough to get into one of the "top schools."

The good news is that all US med schools are good schools, and the rest of your academic qualifications look great! Good luck.

lol at u...i love it when that happens...you couldnt jus let it slip could, jusss haad to correct him...lol...i bet you got a T in writing too? :laugh:

Check out my mdapps....i have a 3.8 gpa 35 mcat with an 8 in verbal....i think one point would've made a big difference, but i at least got a few top school interviews....as you can see, many top schools were less impressed, but who knows if that was from the verbal or not