Good MCAT Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zosimus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an SAT and GMAT instructor, and I've been assigned to take the MCAT in preparation for teaching this test. I have no medical background.

I need to prepare for and score at least a 521 on the test; that is to say, I need to be in the top 1 percent.

I'm looking for book recommendations that can get me there. I've looked at some practice problems, and I can see that I am very weak in chemistry. I did okay in biology.

I have excellent reading comprehension and test taking skills. I just need the background information to get me into the top area. All advice will be welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

I can recommend ExamKrackers, though their psychology book lacks some key vocabulary terms. You may want to consider Princeton Review and MS Word notes available on SDN to supplement for this section.

For the sciences, consider college level science books like Zumdahl (for chemistry), etc.

Hope some of your work is pro bono ;)

Hi. I'm an SAT and GMAT instructor, and I've been assigned to take the MCAT in preparation for teaching this test. I have no medical background.

I need to prepare for and score at least a 521 on the test; that is to say, I need to be in the top 1 percent.

I'm looking for book recommendations that can get me there. I've looked at some practice problems, and I can see that I am very weak in chemistry. I did okay in biology.

I have excellent reading comprehension and test taking skills. I just need the background information to get me into the top area. All advice will be welcomed.

What company do you work for? I'm actually looking for a legit MCAT tutor over here

ExamKrackers 10th edition and Khan Academy are the go to resources. Both will help you learn the necessary content to do well. Luckily, chemistry/physics is the easiest section to make significant improvements just by content learning/review alone. With strong reading comprehension/test taking skills, good content review from these two resources will help you score in the mid to upper 520s.

Members don't see this ad :)

When are you looking to take the exam? PM me...

Thank you all for your responses. It looks like ExamKrakers is the way to go. I'll be picking up a copy of that. Sorry for the late responses, but I expected to get email notification in the event of replies, but that didn't happen.

It is a violation according to AAMC for taking the test other than med school. I'm not calling you out or anything, but just to let you know you can play it safe so you won't get into trouble. Good luck on your exam;)

This is not 100% true. It only says that if someone takes the MCAT for a purpose other than applying for medical school, special permission must be sought. Now that I am aware of this requirement, I am seeking special permission.