Good multifocal toric lenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMU07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all you practicing docs -

Are there any good multifocal toric CL's that you would recommend for someone with a high plus and a significant amount of cyl? The office I worked at (and have been seen at for years) doesn't normally fit these, I guess there is probably a low success rate for people with this type of Rx, but I was wondering if anyone had any information to the contrary. I know they'd be expensive.

(I didn't want to list a specific Rx, in case that would make it look as though I were asking for "medical advice" which I know isn't allowed!)

Members don't see this ad.

Cooper has a multifocal toric lens that I have tried twice, once was a crash and burn, but I had previous problems even fitting regular toric lenses on her, (Ever see a fitting mark act like a second hand on a clock, rotating 360 10 degrees every blink?) while the other was a success from the patient's standpoint. I'd give it a shot.

How high plus and how high cyl? I've tried to fit a couple of the cooper toric multifocals with not much success. Some of that probably has to do with patient expectations. If you get them to be realistic, I think you stand a much better shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's about a +6.00 -3.50. She wore RGP's for years... switched to soft lenses a few years back but she's always needed reading glasses with them. Her Rx is maxed out in her current lenses, so I was wondering if she had any other options besides going back to the RGP's. I don't think she's ever been fully satisfied with contacts so she's not expecting to go into her next exam being able to see everything. :)

She's about a +6.00 -3.50. She wore RGP's for years... switched to soft lenses a few years back but she's always needed reading glasses with them. Her Rx is maxed out in her current lenses, so I was wondering if she had any other options besides going back to the RGP's. I don't think she's ever been fully satisfied with contacts so she's not expecting to go into her next exam being able to see everything. :)

It was likely a mistake to have taken her out of the RGPs. I would go with either an RGP bifocal lens or a synergeyes lens. With an Rx like that, soft toric lenses are highly unlikely to be successful.

For all you practicing docs -

Are there any good multifocal toric CL's that you would recommend for someone with a high plus and a significant amount of cyl? The office I worked at (and have been seen at for years) doesn't normally fit these, I guess there is probably a low success rate for people with this type of Rx, but I was wondering if anyone had any information to the contrary. I know they'd be expensive.

(I didn't want to list a specific Rx, in case that would make it look as though I were asking for "medical advice" which I know isn't allowed!)

i have had excellent success with proclear multifocal torics.... one sidenote though: check for faulty lenses (lenses with creases), as about 2/10 lenses have been faulty (i think it was a bad batch)

RGP definitely the way to go. I do better with CVUE multifocal toric than PC.

i have had excellent success with proclear multifocal torics.... one sidenote though: check for faulty lenses (lenses with creases), as about 2/10 lenses have been faulty (i think it was a bad batch)

Do they have these out in disposables yet ? or are they just vials ? I see my Cooper rep once every 2 years or so. *sigh*

I've been meaning to try to the Synergeyes. I have calls in to the rep about them. Anyone else tried them and liked them? Can you get them bitoric?

Thanks for the tips, everyone! :)

Do they have these out in disposables yet ? or are they just vials ? I see my Cooper rep once every 2 years or so. *sigh*

I've been meaning to try to the Synergeyes. I have calls in to the rep about them. Anyone else tried them and liked them? Can you get them bitoric?

cpw,

yep, they are disposables now (proclear toric multifocal)- and you can order trials for your patients...

i also love synergeyes, but i've only ordered them in spherical (not sure about the bitoric availibility)...

Not impressed with Synergeyes. Extremely expensive and haven't worked well for my patients.

Synergeyes aren't available in toric.. not yet anyway.

I had the chance to use them a few times.. very mixed results. Cost is usually the biggest barrier though.

Synergeyes aren't available in toric.. not yet anyway.

I had the chance to use them a few times.. very mixed results. Cost is usually the biggest barrier though.

Not toric, but the RGP center will correct up to around -2.00 astig just like a normal RGP