Good multifocal toric lenses?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by JMU07, Jun 14, 2008.

1. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    For all you practicing docs -

Are there any good multifocal toric CL's that you would recommend for someone with a high plus and a significant amount of cyl? The office I worked at (and have been seen at for years) doesn't normally fit these, I guess there is probably a low success rate for people with this type of Rx, but I was wondering if anyone had any information to the contrary. I know they'd be expensive.

(I didn't want to list a specific Rx, in case that would make it look as though I were asking for "medical advice" which I know isn't allowed!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. janne1720

janne1720 New Doctor
    2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Cooper has a multifocal toric lens that I have tried twice, once was a crash and burn, but I had previous problems even fitting regular toric lenses on her, (Ever see a fitting mark act like a second hand on a clock, rotating 360 10 degrees every blink?) while the other was a success from the patient's standpoint. I'd give it a shot.

3. eyestrain

eyestrain Member
    7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    How high plus and how high cyl? I've tried to fit a couple of the cooper toric multifocals with not much success. Some of that probably has to do with patient expectations. If you get them to be realistic, I think you stand a much better shot.

4. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    She's about a +6.00 -3.50. She wore RGP's for years... switched to soft lenses a few years back but she's always needed reading glasses with them. Her Rx is maxed out in her current lenses, so I was wondering if she had any other options besides going back to the RGP's. I don't think she's ever been fully satisfied with contacts so she's not expecting to go into her next exam being able to see everything. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KHE

KHE Senior Member
    Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    It was likely a mistake to have taken her out of the RGPs. I would go with either an RGP bifocal lens or a synergeyes lens. With an Rx like that, soft toric lenses are highly unlikely to be successful.

6. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    i have had excellent success with proclear multifocal torics.... one sidenote though: check for faulty lenses (lenses with creases), as about 2/10 lenses have been faulty (i think it was a bad batch)

7. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    RGP definitely the way to go. I do better with CVUE multifocal toric than PC.

8. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Do they have these out in disposables yet ? or are they just vials ? I see my Cooper rep once every 2 years or so. *sigh*

I've been meaning to try to the Synergeyes. I have calls in to the rep about them. Anyone else tried them and liked them? Can you get them bitoric?

9. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! :)

10. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    cpw,

yep, they are disposables now (proclear toric multifocal)- and you can order trials for your patients...

i also love synergeyes, but i've only ordered them in spherical (not sure about the bitoric availibility)...

11. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Not impressed with Synergeyes. Extremely expensive and haven't worked well for my patients.

12. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Synergeyes aren't available in toric.. not yet anyway.

I had the chance to use them a few times.. very mixed results. Cost is usually the biggest barrier though.

13. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist

Not toric, but the RGP center will correct up to around -2.00 astig just like a normal RGP