Good multifocal toric lenses?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by JMU07, Jun 14, 2008.

1. JMU07

Optometrist
    For all you practicing docs -

Are there any good multifocal toric CL's that you would recommend for someone with a high plus and a significant amount of cyl? The office I worked at (and have been seen at for years) doesn't normally fit these, I guess there is probably a low success rate for people with this type of Rx, but I was wondering if anyone had any information to the contrary. I know they'd be expensive.

(I didn't want to list a specific Rx, in case that would make it look as though I were asking for "medical advice" which I know isn't allowed!)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. janne1720

janne1720 New Doctor

Optometrist
    Cooper has a multifocal toric lens that I have tried twice, once was a crash and burn, but I had previous problems even fitting regular toric lenses on her, (Ever see a fitting mark act like a second hand on a clock, rotating 360 10 degrees every blink?) while the other was a success from the patient's standpoint. I'd give it a shot.

4. eyestrain

eyestrain Member

Optometrist
    How high plus and how high cyl? I've tried to fit a couple of the cooper toric multifocals with not much success. Some of that probably has to do with patient expectations. If you get them to be realistic, I think you stand a much better shot.

5. JMU07

Optometrist
    She's about a +6.00 -3.50. She wore RGP's for years... switched to soft lenses a few years back but she's always needed reading glasses with them. Her Rx is maxed out in her current lenses, so I was wondering if she had any other options besides going back to the RGP's. I don't think she's ever been fully satisfied with contacts so she's not expecting to go into her next exam being able to see everything. :)

6. KHE

KHE Senior Member
    Optometrist SDN Advisor

Optometrist
    It was likely a mistake to have taken her out of the RGPs. I would go with either an RGP bifocal lens or a synergeyes lens. With an Rx like that, soft toric lenses are highly unlikely to be successful.

7. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate

Optometrist
    i have had excellent success with proclear multifocal torics.... one sidenote though: check for faulty lenses (lenses with creases), as about 2/10 lenses have been faulty (i think it was a bad batch)

8. IndianaOD

Optometrist
    RGP definitely the way to go. I do better with CVUE multifocal toric than PC.

9. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    Do they have these out in disposables yet ? or are they just vials ? I see my Cooper rep once every 2 years or so. *sigh*

I've been meaning to try to the Synergeyes. I have calls in to the rep about them. Anyone else tried them and liked them? Can you get them bitoric?

10. JMU07

Optometrist
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! :)

11. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate

Optometrist
    cpw,

yep, they are disposables now (proclear toric multifocal)- and you can order trials for your patients...

i also love synergeyes, but i've only ordered them in spherical (not sure about the bitoric availibility)...

12. IndianaOD

Optometrist
    Not impressed with Synergeyes. Extremely expensive and haven't worked well for my patients.

13. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008

Optometrist
    Synergeyes aren't available in toric.. not yet anyway.

I had the chance to use them a few times.. very mixed results. Cost is usually the biggest barrier though.

14. IndianaOD

Optometrist

Not toric, but the RGP center will correct up to around -2.00 astig just like a normal RGP