Good News for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now is a very good time to be a DO student or to be joining DO school. Why? The D.O degree is slowly becoming more mainstream and more well-known among the American population and indeed the world.
The D.O degree is not a new degree, it's been around for several decades now. However up till the start of the new millennium, the D.O degree was not well-known at all and easily misunderstood. This was further compounded by the fact that the overwhelming number of physicians were M.Ds, not D.Os.

However that's slowly changing. Let's look at the US media publications about the D.O degree in the past year.

In late March 2014, the U.S News published this article about the D.O degree:

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...-need-for-primary-care-fuels-do-degree-growth

and a blog post in late December 2014:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...rs-about-attending-osteopathic-medical-school

At the end of July 2014, the New York Times published this article about the D.O degree:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/e...athic-branch-of-medicine-is-booming.html?_r=0

Why is the media focusing on the D.O degree now? They are focusing on it because they are recognizing that D.O is on the way up. 25% of medical school graduates are D.Os now and this number is only rising. The number of practicing osteopathic physicians has doubled in the past 2 decades and that number is going up real fast.

So D.O is slowly becoming more mainstream and less obscure. We are slowly moving from the fringes and into the lime light. The current and future generations of osteopathic physicians should face a lot less discrimination than the past generations. We should definitely celebrate that.

We have a long road to go but we've made the first step.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for sharing. On another note - I work at a Contract Research Organization that manages clinical trials and I frequently come across DOs who are Principle Investigators in the US in addition to MDs. I always get so happy when I see a DO PI. This DO involvement in pharmaceutical research shows that DO's are part of varied fields.

i'll celebrate after i get into medschool

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'll celebrate after i get into medschool

thats-have-a-good-day.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you for sharing. On another note - I work at a Contract Research Organization that manages clinical trials and I frequently come across DOs who are Principle Investigators in the US in addition to MDs. I always get so happy when I see a DO PI. This DO involvement in pharmaceutical research shows that DO's are part of varied fields.

The vast majority of the new biotech start-ups will not hire DO's. The most exciting field nowadays is the new biotech startups, and that is where you can potentially make millions. These companies will not hire DOs in executive level positions.

PI in a clinical trial is not a big deal. Drug companies, for example, conduct clinical trials in India, Africa, Middle East, etc. All those doctors are PI's as well. They, however, are hardly the best in the field; in fact, they are probably the worst and are just chosen because they can dole out drugs to illiterate patients. As a PI, you just give whatever the company researchers gives you, manage some symptoms, and the company does the rest. They call you a PI to make the doctor feel good when in reality he is not doing anything special.

The real prestige is in executive roles at drug companies, where you are involved in bench and clinical research, and making the key insights and decisions. Not a "speaker" at advertisement conferences or PI (where you are basically bribed to do something). Of course you see DO's in these settings.

But you don't see them in the top positions.

The difference is like a cashier at Walmart and an executive at Walmart. Only a nut will say that a cashier is equal to an executive just because they work for the same company.

Reactions: 1 user
The vast majority of the new biotech start-ups will not hire DO's. The most exciting field nowadays is the new biotech startups, and that is where you can potentially make millions. These companies will not hire DOs in executive level positions.

PI in a clinical trial is not a big deal. Drug companies, for example, conduct clinical trials in India, Africa, Middle East, etc. All those doctors are PI's as well. They, however, are hardly the best in the field; in fact, they are probably the worst and are just chosen because they can dole out drugs to illiterate patients. As a PI, you just give whatever the company researchers gives you, manage some symptoms, and the company does the rest. They call you a PI to make the doctor feel good when in reality he is not doing anything special.

The real prestige is in executive roles at drug companies, where you are involved in bench and clinical research, and making the key insights and decisions. Not a "speaker" at advertisement conferences or PI (where you are basically bribed to do something). Of course you see DO's in these settings.

The difference is like a cashier at Walmart and an executive at Walmart. Only a nut will say that a cashier is equal to an executive just because they work for the same company.
There's a decent number of DOs in pharma and biotech, even with the big companies. We only comprise one in 20 physicians in the US, so we obviously won't have >95% of roles in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries.

Reactions: 4 users
I read the US news article. The DO's are going in primary care. That is where you compete with physician assistants and registered nurses (PhD's) for patients. These RN's and PA's are getting more power (since they have basically the same outcomes).

What if you want to do high-level research? DO schools are not known for research, and neither are DO residencies (and that is putting it nicely). So suppose you want to actually do something more than get a paycheck. DO will close a lot of doors.

If all you want is to see patients, DO is great. If you have good interpersonal skills you can go to a rich area and tout your advanced massages and 'holistic approach' to rich people, and make a bunch of money. But what if you want to do more with your life?

There's a decent number of DOs in pharma and biotech, even with the big companies. We only comprise one in 20 physicians in the US, so we obviously won't have >95% of roles in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries.

Is that true? The reason why I was thinking otherwise, I was looking at the jobs for some biotech companies, and they all want MD's or MD-PhD. They don't mention DO, so will a human resource person just throw out DO applications? HR people are just looking for any excuse to throw out an application.

Is that true? The reason why I was thinking otherwise, I was looking at the jobs for some biotech companies, and they all want MD's or MD-PhD. They don't mention DO, so will a human resource person just throw out DO applications? HR people are just looking for any excuse to throw out an application.
:laugh:

MD-PhDs are overrepresented, because they are the sort of people that didn't really want to work with patients to begin with.

They don't throw out DO apps, trust me. Where you go to residency or what research you have published matters far more than what letters you have after your name in regard to pharma.

Reactions: 5 users
:laugh:

MD-PhDs are overrepresented, because they are the sort of people that didn't really want to work with patients to begin with.

They don't throw out DO apps, trust me. Where you go to residency or what research you have published matters far more than what letters you have after your name in regard to pharma.

Oh ok thank you. I hope you are right. I was referring to job listings, where they say, 'MD required'. But I hope you are right though.

Oh ok thank you. I hope you are right. I was referring to job listings, where they say, 'MD required'. But I hope you are right though.
Most hiring managers don't even know what a DO is. If you're a physician and you were trained at *insert decent university training program here* they don't gaf.

Reactions: 2 users
I read the US news article. The DO's are going in primary care. That is where you compete with physician assistants and registered nurses (PhD's) for patients. These RN's and PA's are getting more power (since they have basically the same outcomes).

What if you want to do high-level research? DO schools are not known for research, and neither are DO residencies (and that is putting it nicely). So suppose you want to actually do something more than get a paycheck. DO will close a lot of doors.

If all you want is to see patients, DO is great. If you have good interpersonal skills you can go to a rich area and tout your advanced massages and 'holistic approach' to rich people, and make a bunch of money. But what if you want to do more with your life?

Yeah, a lot of DOs go into primary care compared to US MDs, that doesn't mean all DOs are going into primary care. The majority of IMGs/FMGs going to primary care also (they are "MDs" too), that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of IMG/FMGs in academia and in research. There are plenty of them there.

Also, saying that a DO is competing with PAs and NPs is like saying an MD is competing with PAs and NPs in primary care. Sure they "compete" in that PAs and NPs are trying to get more autonomy, but they are (for the time being) very different. That is demonstrated in autonomy, authority, and compensation (DOs are paid and have the same job responsibilities as MDs, if that wasn't obvious).

I think you are mistaking self-selected populations for an inherent limitation in the degree. Sure DOs may not be as competitive as MDs in MD institutions, but its not like DOs are only going PC because that's all they can get. If every DO wanted PM&R, Path, EM, etc. (relatively DO friendly non-PC fields) they could get it, but the truth is that there is a sizable population that actually wants FM and IM, and quite frankly its not as looked down upon (in fact its promoted) at DO schools as compared to MD schools.

A lot of times MD = can get a license or has a medical degree. Sure its not as likely for DOs to be hired, because (1) there's much fewer of them than MDs, (2) most DOs don't want to do research/want patient contact, and (3) you need a record of research, and most DOs simply don't have that. Does that mean that DOs don't go into research? No. I know plenty that do as much and likely more research than the average MD. Those are the types of people that do get that type of job.

Now obviously, if you want to do research only, you'd be better off going MD (or really PhD), because there will be more research opportunities. That said, if you want to do research as a DO, you definitely can, you just have to put in the legwork.

Most hiring managers don't even know what a DO is. If you're a physician and you were trained at *insert decent university training program here* they don't gaf.

This.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this, but there're a couple of schools that offer DO/PhD dual degrees.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hopefully I can clarify some points for you. Pharmaceutical companies only chose PI's after knowing that they fulfill very specific qualifications. They don't just take any physician willy nilly. Many of the sites that are contracted on clinical trials are at top US research institutions, some are not. Just claiming that PIs are the worst physicians is misguided.

Of course clinical trials are conducted globally - thats been going on for some time. That does not undermine the quality of the trial, if anything it can improve it.

PIs don't "dole out drugs to illiterate patients." That goes against everything that ICH/GCP clinical standards are for. Have you heard of informed consents in multiple languages, ethics committees, and at risk populations?

According to you the "real prestige is in executive roles at drug companies." Sure that could be cool and all if you don't want to see patients and want a more backside approach as a medical director. I for one hate bench research with a vengeance and patient care is where its at for me. Its all about what type of job you want to be doing.

Being a PI is a respectable position and it is something that only can be done by MD's and DO's, not NP's or PA's or a cashier at Walmart.

For the record, I'd rather hang myself than be some drug company's b***h. That's a fate worse than death and I don't know why anyone would want it.

Reactions: 3 users

Dear Mr. Pre-med,

This post makes you sound like a jerk. If you want to do research don't go into medicine. Go get a PhD and call it a day. If you want to get a "paycheck" medicine isn't for you. Also, read what you type before you hit post. This will save you from sounding like a troll.

Love,

Offended SDNer

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Pre-med,

This post makes you sound like a jerk. If you want to do research don't go into medicine. Go get a PhD and call it a day. If you want to get a "paycheck" medicine isn't for you. Also, read what you type before you hit post. This will save you from sounding like a troll.

Love,

Recently accepted medical student
Dear whatever your name is,

Saying you are a recently accepted medical student makes you look like a jerk. We are still in the premed forms here and looking down on someone like that just is mean. Also it doesn't really give you any greater authority because you aren't actually in medical school yet.

Love,
Tp13

Reactions: 8 users
As far as OP goes, I agree that we are getting more recognition and things will only improve from now one. I never really had any interest in research and I think it's been a good decision overall for me.

Saying you are a recently accepted medical student makes you look like a jerk. We are still in the premed forms here and looking down on someone like that just is mean. Also it doesn't really give you any greater authority because you aren't actually in medical school yet.

Love,
Tp13

Dude... I wasn't bragging..... I was trying to make a point to someone who was being blatantly rude and obnoxious about the DO degree. I'm sorry if me saying I was recently accepted offended you. I am trying to tell this particular poster that regardless of his/her intent, their post was hurtful. Could I have gone about it in a less bitchy way? Maybe.... Nevertheless, I was unhappy with the way this particular person talked about the osteopathic physician and I wanted them to realize that they needed to think before they spoke. If you want to have a true conversation about the profession because you are a premed and you don't know better then do it with kindness and openness to things you don't know or understand.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude... I wasn't bragging..... I was trying to make a point to someone who was being blatantly rude and obnoxious about the DO degree. I'm sorry if me saying I was recently accepted offended you. I am trying to tell this particular poster that regardless of his/her intent, their post was hurtful. Could I have gone about it in a less bitchy way? Maybe.... Nevertheless, I was unhappy with the way this particular person talked about the osteopathic physician and I wanted them to realize that they needed to think before they spoke. If you want to have a true conversation about the profession because you are a premed and you don't know better then do it with kindness and openness to things you don't know or understand.
I do agree that they were being a tool about it, but if there's one thing I've learned it's that being a tool in return gets you in hot water. I see the point you were making and I'm not trying to come for you, just consider it friendly advice, lots of people around here get frustrated when they see people who were just accepted acting high and mighty. Idk if that's what you intended to do, but it's something you might want to be wary of in the future.

If you want to be a clinician investigator at MGH, UofChicago, Weill Cornell or some other highly regarded top tier research university then become an MD, better yet become an MD/PhD that way you can do "high-level research".

Also, the idea that "the DO's are going in primary care", which I'm assuming you mean majority, is hogwash. There are a few DO schools that emphasize wanting to get their grads into primary and show it with their numbers (OUHCOM having more than 50% of their grades entering PCP, or WVSOM having their mission train students to serve as PCP's in the Appalachians) but there are many DO's entering specialty fields every year.

Lastly, you're a doctor. You're first job is to treat patients. The fact that you can prefix the idea of seeing patients ("If that's ALLL you want to do") as if it's some burdensome thing that gets in the way of what YOU want to do in life is somewhat infuriating to me.

Reactions: 9 users

Love,
Tp13

Much respect for not pull rank in that situation. We need more posters like yourself!

The one thing I never liked is when people pull rank on this forum. It is one thing to talk about it from a perspective of a medical student or resident, such as "you will understand once you get into medical school." However, it is another thing to say "pfft... silly pre-med get into med school first before you talk." I see a big difference in maturity between the ones that don't pull rank from the ones that do.

Well don't want to side track the discussion further. I hope that the media does more articles like these to make the population aware of osteopathic physicians.

The DO's are going in primary care. That is where you compete with physician assistants and registered nurses (PhD's) for patients. These RN's and PA's are getting more power (since they have basically the same outcomes).

My troll-dar siren is starting to buzz.

But I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume that you are a stupid, naïve Pre-med. What you have said is incredibly offensive, to both MDs and DOs alike. You clearly haven't practice medicine before because comparing PCM DO/MD to NPs/PAs is a joke.

Reactions: 4 users
My troll-dar siren is starting to buzz.

But I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume that you are a stupid, naïve Pre-med. What you have said is incredibly offensive, to both MDs and DOs alike. You clearly haven't practice medicine before because comparing PCM DO/MD to NPs/PAs is a joke.
:laugh: I totally missed that nugget of wisdom. PCPs have the highest job security of any specialty right now. Those NPs and PAs typically work under someone- most aren't foolish enough to go it alone, despite what the ANA would have you believe, as the liability is too high- and that person is a PCP.

I'd love to hear what he thinks of psych. Premeds seem to hate on primary care and psychiatry ridiculously hard for some reason.

:troll:

:laugh: I totally missed that nugget of wisdom. PCPs have the highest job security of any specialty right now. Those NPs and PAs typically work under someone- most aren't foolish enough to go it alone, despite what the ANA would have you believe, as the liability is too high- and that person is a PCP.

I'd love to hear what he thinks of psych. Premeds seem to hate on primary care and psychiatry ridiculously hard for some reason.
I think they tend to have problems with all the feels. And the fact that it has a reputation of being less hard sciencey

Reactions: 1 users
I think they tend to have problems with all the feels. And the fact that it has a reputation of being less hard sciencey
I also get the vibe that a lot of premeds are much more obsessed with the fantasy of medicine- "saving lives, split second decision making, money, prestige, etc"- than they are familiar with the actual practice of it. Primary care and psych don't feed any of the big premed fantasies, so they write them off as worthless fields. Which I'm fine with- I could land a psych residency and position anywhere in the country care of shortsighted thinking like that.

It took me about a couple months into med school to realize that half of the people were there because they wanted to take care of patients...the other half were there because becoming a doctor is the most gunning profession that a gunner can gung.

I also get the vibe that a lot of premeds are much more obsessed with the fantasy of medicine- "saving lives, split second decision making, money, prestige, etc"- than they are familiar with the actual practice of it. Primary care and psych don't feed any of the big premed fantasies, so they write them off as worthless fields. Which I'm fine with- I could land a psych residency and position anywhere in the country care of shortsighted thinking like that.
awww yeah
39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif

By the time 25% of graduates are being produced by DO schools they'll probably be getting MD degrees.

It's because it's not "sexy" like plastics, EM, etc.

Maybe after that class become residents the conversation will begin.
Once they are attendings, perhaps. But not until we've got clout. With the massive rate of expansion in DO education, new DOs will significantly outnumber the old guard within a short span of time, giving us far more control over the future of the profession due to our sheer numbers. The LCME doesn't want to take over the COCA though, so we'd have to push for change on the DO side of things pretty hard to see if they'll be receptive at all.

I do agree that they were being a tool about it, but if there's one thing I've learned it's that being a tool in return gets you in hot water. I see the point you were making and I'm not trying to come for you, just consider it friendly advice, lots of people around here get frustrated when they see people who were just accepted acting high and mighty. Idk if that's what you intended to do, but it's something you might want to be wary of in the future.

Much respect for not pull rank in that situation. We need more posters like yourself!

The one thing I never liked is when people pull rank on this forum. It is one thing to talk about it from a perspective of a medical student or resident, such as "you will understand once you get into medical school." However, it is another thing to say "pfft... silly pre-med get into med school first before you talk." I see a big difference in maturity between the ones that don't pull rank from the ones that do.

Well don't want to side track the discussion further. I hope that the media does more articles like these to make the population aware of osteopathic physicians.

In an attempt to hear where you are coming from I have edited my post. I hope that you can see where I was coming from in using that info. By saying I am a "recently accepted" student I was trying to put myself in the DO group. Therefore, my offense to his/her statements are more personal then just a pre-med looking to go allo or osteo.... My intention was never to brag.

Once they are attendings, perhaps. But not until we've got clout. With the massive rate of expansion in DO education, new DOs will significantly outnumber the old guard within a short span of time, giving us far more control over the future of the profession due to our sheer numbers. The LCME doesn't want to take over the COCA though, so we'd have to push for change on the DO side of things pretty hard to see if they'll be receptive at all.

Either way, it's going to be enormously hard and complicated to keep an two camps when they possess such enormous populations.

It's no longer a story of a minority in the shadow. Now it's a presence.

You go to the NIH, Baylor, IU or any other research facility to do a fellowship. This is nothing new.

Either way, it's going to be enormously hard and complicated to keep an two camps when they possess such enormous populations.

It's no longer a story of a minority in the shadow. Now it's a presence.

Yeah, I could see it happening, but I could also see both existing in a more DDS/DMD kind of fashion, where the degree difference is more historical/school-related as opposed to a difference in actual training. This is especially true if following the merger a decent amount of MD schools start teaching electives in OPP for students who want to apply to programs with an "Osteopathic focus". Who knows though? Only time will tell.

Yeah, I could see it happening, but I could also see both existing in a more DDS/DMD kind of fashion, where the degree difference is more historical/school-related as opposed to a difference in actual training. This is especially true if following the merger a decent amount of MD schools start teaching electives in OPP for students who want to apply to programs with an "Osteopathic focus". Who knows though? Only time will tell.

I think that's an ideal path for us.

If you're employed by a major pharmaceutical company, you're probably not making key insights and decisions. If you actually had that kind of intellectual freedom, you'd cause the company to lose millions of dollars in lost revenue. You're working for a company, not an academic institution, and they're still all about the bottom line.

See: All of the drugs that should never have been released, but were released in spite of dangerous side effects due to massaged data.

Last edited:

If you want to start a company, a DO degree is just fine. There are plenty of entrepreneurial ventures that don't involve research in the slightest. If you have strong interpersonal skills and business acumen, you can build a successful company regardless of your degree.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am sorry about sounding rude, I was not aware of that. I was just reading another thread where their was someone who got into MD and DO. And all the DO's were telling her not to take DO, so my impression was negative at the time of writing. Thank you everyone though.

If you want to start a company, a DO degree is just fine. There are plenty of entrepreneurial ventures that don't involve research in the slightest. If you have strong interpersonal skills and business acumen, you can build a successful company regardless of your degree.

I was working under a renown doctor in his lab, but he fired me. After that my life went downhill. He was all right but the other people in the lab complained about me making too many mistakes. He also gave me poor reference as employers called him and did not hire me.