Good news for future doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MILK07

Silence, I kill you!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At least there is some good news for future physicians... everyone wants to marry us! And we're the most trusted.

Also, I thought it was interesting that doctors weren't voted most over-paid, since that is an impression I seem to get from friends/family.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081218/lf_nm_life/us_jobs_doctors_survey

Members don't see this ad.

I clicked on this thread with hopes of lower tuition, rising salaries, or shorter residencies. Sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this up a bit earlier! :p Still not sure I really believe the statistics.

They trust doctors? Since when? Maybe it's just me and my family, but second opinions are a must. And it's been a long time since I can admit to seeing a "good" doctor.
They want to marry doctors? Huh? I was under the impression most men and women wanted beautiful, caring husbands or wives with TIME on their hands to look after children!
And lastly, I get that same impression from friends/family. No one likes paying for health insurance and dishing out money for hospital bills. But when compared with the actors mentioned in the article, it's obvious who's really overpaid. ;)

Anyone ever think its a bad thing we could be the most marryable?

If I'm going to have to be beating away dollar chasers for years on end than maybe I should think about a different profession.. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the divorce rate is for physicians too, lol!!

Divorce rate for physicians is higher than in the general population (>50%). Predictors of divorce in physicians includes being female and marrying before medical school.

Haha. Exactly.

Most marryable doesn't necessarily mean most lovable. D: It can also mean, "most easy to frunkle money from while pretending to give a damn"

I clicked on this thread with hopes of lower tuition, rising salaries, or shorter residencies. Sigh

Seriously, me too! With maybe an added dash of "medicine isn't on a one way train to apocalype-town after all."

They trust doctors? Since when? Maybe it's just me and my family, but second opinions are a must. And it's been a long time since I can admit to seeing a "good" doctor.
They want to marry doctors? Huh? I was under the impression most men and women wanted beautiful, caring husbands or wives with TIME on their hands to look after children!
And lastly, I get that same impression from friends/family. No one likes paying for health insurance and dishing out money for hospital bills. But when compared with the actors mentioned in the article, it's obvious who's really overpaid. ;)

Shhhh! Ignorance is bliss. Its better that way :)

I wonder how those statistics change if you only look at males or females though...

Sorry!! Should have made the title a little more clear.

I second the comments wondering why people would want to marry us!!! Except for the salaries, which are less and less each year. Not everyone can be a radiologist!

Members don't see this ad :)

You're a tad cynical.

hmm, maybe I'll send the article to my boyfriend to get him to move on that proposal...

;)

Haha. Exactly.

Most marryable doesn't necessarily mean most lovable. D: It can also mean, "most easy to frunkle money from while pretending to give a damn"

Exactly. How do you know that someone like you for you and not for your money?

What do you mean, if I was a regular guy I'm sure I would love to date a smart, compassionate, altruistic woman!! :)

smart, okay, but compassionate + altruistic women are no fun.

trust me.

If I'm going to have to be beating away dollar chasers for years on end than maybe I should think about a different profession.. :rolleyes:
♪♫ Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digga... ♪♫

*puts on stethoscope*

Where da sexy men at?

:oops:

At least there is some good news for future physicians... everyone wants to marry us! And we're the most trusted.

Also, I thought it was interesting that doctors weren't voted most over-paid, since that is an impression I seem to get from friends/family.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081218/lf_nm_life/us_jobs_doctors_survey

So where is the good news? Now even more broads are gunna try get me to commit so they can steal my money later? You know what they say about women being like hurricanes don't you?

jay kay

I'm glad to hear that doctors are the most desirable people to marry because I seriously need to find someone during med school without a whole lot of searching. Hopefully, there are a lot of male single med students in my class. We should start a poll. :D

What do you mean, if I was a regular guy I'm sure I would love to date a smart, compassionate, altruistic woman!! :)

aggreed.

its nice to read some good news every now and then about the medical field too!

So I take it all of you are relying on medical school/residency to find your significant other?

Sorry, I'm marrying for love.

cited article said:
The survey polled about 5,500 respondents in Brazil, Canada, China, France, Malaysia, South Africa and the United States.

let us not forget that this was an international survey from many countries with very differing medical systems from that of (most of) our experience.
-durty

I have a feeling that many of the girls who get admitted to med. schools are gunners (aka M.A.K.E.s**), just like most of the guys are as well.

** Most Annoying Kids Ever.

Im readying myself to be immersed in them.

haha, love the acronym!

\:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

there's a business school or consulting job somewhere out there with your name written all over it.

My name and everyone else who agreed with me in this thread ;)

I have a feeling that many of the girls who get admitted to med. schools are gunners (aka M.A.K.E.s**), just like most of the guys are as well.

** Most Annoying Kids Ever.

I can only assume you aren't including yourself in that category? :rolleyes:

\:thumbdown:

there's a business school or consulting job somewhere out there with your name written all over it.

So medicine is (supposedly) going down the drain and we are in the wrong profession of we hope things get a little better?

Couple points...

This article does not apply to female physicians. I have only met a handful I would even consider dating (like a total of 3 in my 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency). Don't get me wrong - I would love to find a dateable female in medicine, but they are so rare.

Most females residents/med students date other physicians. But the best is meeting female residents non-medicine husbands. For the most part, they are effeminate gold diggers with submissive personalities - it's hilarious.

But back to guys, its scary how a chicks eyes light up when you tell them you're a doctor. The article doesn't go into how 99% of these women are after your $. Most med school guys aren't the most well rounded individuals who got laid a bunch in hs/college/med school. They get to residency and BAM, they can date girls they never had a shot at. Several med students/residents I have known/know are in relationships/married to straight up gold diggin beeyatches that are going to run off with half of everything in a few years. Scary.

Long story short guys - do what I do - I always tell women I intially meet I'm in grad school early on. The problem is most of the girls you meet already know you're a doc b/c you meet them around the hospital - nurses, PT, dental/pharm students, etc. If I date any of these people seriously, I quickly tell them my goal is to work only part time and in an underprivelged setting. You'd be surprised how many girls you can weed out this way.

Couple points...

This article does not apply to female physicians. I have only met a handful I would even consider dating (like a total of 3 in my 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency). Don't get me wrong - I would love to find a dateable female in medicine, but they are so rare.

Most females residents/med students date other physicians. But the best is meeting female residents non-medicine husbands. For the most part, they are effeminate gold diggers with submissive personalities - it's hilarious.

But back to guys, its scary how a chicks eyes light up when you tell them you're a doctor. The article doesn't go into how 99% of these women are after your $. Most med school guys aren't the most well rounded individuals who got laid a bunch in hs/college/med school. They get to residency and BAM, they can date girls they never had a shot at. Several med students/residents I have known/know are in relationships/married to straight up gold diggin beeyatches that are going to run off with half of everything in a few years. Scary.

Long story short guys - do what I do - I always tell women I intially meet I'm in grad school early on. The problem is most of the girls you meet already know you're a doc b/c you meet them around the hospital - nurses, PT, dental/pharm students, etc. If I date any of these people seriously, I quickly tell them my goal is to work only part time and in an underprivelged setting. You'd be surprised how many girls you can weed out this way.

thanks ... i knew this was exactly how it was. thanks for the confirmation.

whats so unattractive about the females in medicine? how are some of your male classmates fairing in those gold-digger relationships?

Couple points...

What do you look like, and how long have you been single?

how are some of your male classmates fairing in those gold-digger relationships?

I imagine it's a win-win situation. Med guys tend to not be the most...attractive...men...nor are they usually very sociable people so I would think med guys wouldn't mind exchanging income for a woman who is much more attractive than them.

I imagine it's a win-win situation. Med guys tend to not be the most...attractive...men...nor are they usually very sociable people so I would think med guys wouldn't mind exchanging income for a woman who is much more attractive than them.

Yeah your right. Physical attractiveness is far more important to men than it is to women. Men want aesthetics, women want power and status. That's not to say that women don't place any importance on physical attractiveness... only much less so than men do. I've seen a lot of ugly dudes dating good looking women but few ugly women dating good looking dudes.

:laugh: Although I think there is some truth to what he was talking about.

What, and med ladies tend to be the most attractive, outgoing women?? ;)

:laugh: Although I think there is some truth to what he was talking about.

Dude shes probably right. That's why I'm gunna be such a welcomed anomaly. ;)

Man if that really is true (attractive women going for doctors) then I am going to have so much fun stringing along super-fine women and kicking them to the curb (much like they do to me now). Oh god, my sad sad love life..

In all seriousness, I think the best part of being a doctor is still there: we are responsible for the lives of our patients. My dad always said that doctors were the real-life superheroes, along with policemen, firemen etc etc. Society trusts all these civil servants with their lives and I'll be damned if that isn't the coolest thing ever. To tell you the truth, I can't wait till I am a doctor so that I can finally use my intellect to help out those who aren't as lucky as me.

However, I hear the training process is a very harrowing experience and one of my biggest fears is having my optimism (savagely) beaten out of me before I finish up my residency/fellowships.

Oh yea, one other cool thing: one of the best parts of being a doctor is that you have a marketable/useful skill in ANY community regardless of socioeconomics, culture, and level of technological advancement. A hilarious (not really) scenario that I always think about is in some post-WW3 kind of world where everything has gone to ****, at least I will have the skills necessary to provide healthcare to those in need. How can a lawyer practice law in a lawless land? How can a business man play with money in a society where money is presumably useless?

From my experiences/observations, yes. :)

Even the least attractive of med ladies tend to be much more attractive/social than the hideous male nerds with whom they attend class. At least the ugly girls aren't oblivious to the fact that they're unattractive...unlike the even uglier guys.

Dude shes probably right. That's why I'm gunna be such a welcomed anomaly. ;)

Uhhhh....sure? :idea:

Man if that really is true (attractive women going for doctors) then I am going to have so much fun stringing along super-fine women and kicking them to the curb (much like they do to me now).

How can a lawyer practice law in a lawless land? How can a business man play with money in a society where money is presumably useless?

Come on now... good second point though

Even the least attractive of med ladies tend to be much more attractive/social than the hideous male nerds with whom they attend class. At least the ugly girls aren't oblivious to the fact that they're unattractive...unlike the even uglier guys.

That's sad but true. Society puts a lot of weight into how women look these days. When you don't fit the mold, you get regular reminders of it. For guys, that is not the case.

MsKrispyKreme said:
Uhhhh....sure?

:)

LOL "hideous male nerds." That is messed up! I mean, I know exactly who you are talking about...I laughed but I feel kind of bad about it.

I don't know, of all the pre-med girls I know, I can only think of a few who I find attractive. The rest vary from bookworms/socially awkward to nice and somewhat attractive. This thread has me feeling kind of depressed though. I'm 21 right now....how the heck am I supposed to be married in like 6 or 7 years??! I don't feel ready for that kind of committment AT ALL. Now I gotta watch out for gold diggers too? :(